McLaren Life banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a newbie on the site and purchased a 2014 12c spider great car !
I purchased a new carbon fiber air brake and want to replace it myself.
i saw a video of someone just pulling up on the air brake to take it off.
if I do this will it put it out of calibration or harm anything and after installation can I just push it back down
Thanks Robert

2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,163 Posts
I’m a newbie on the site and purchased a 2014 12c spider great car !
I purchased a new carbon fiber air brake and want to replace it myself.
i saw a video of someone just pulling up on the air brake to take it off.
if I do this will it put it out of calibration or harm anything and after installation can I just push it back down
Thanks Robert
If you move it manually, it must go back in the EXACT same spot or you'll get a fault. Once it faults, you can't clear it yourself. My recommendation would be to leave it in the active position, with the right tools you can still take all the bolts out. There is 1 plug to disconnect so be aware of that. The brake light is held in with adhesive, so good luck getting that out without breaking it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you move it manually, it must go back in the EXACT same spot or you'll get a fault. Once it faults, you can't clear it yourself. My recommendation would be to leave it in the active position, with the right tools you can still take all the bolts out. There is 1 plug to disconnect so be aware of that. The brake light is held in with adhesive, so good luck getting that out without breaking it.
Not denying this but I didnt have this issue. I installed my exhaust myself and to do so I had to remove the deck lid hence the wing had to come off. I simply grabbed it underneath and pulled it into the most extended position. Removed it, then when I was done I bolted the wing back on. Moved it back manually to the most extended position. Started the car, it gave an error. But drove and it did its usual reset by going all the way in then back to Active aero position. The error cleared and hasnt come back. Nothing stored either

2012 MP4-12C 2018 720s
3,163 Posts
Not denying this but I didnt have this issue. I installed my exhaust myself and to do so I had to remove the deck lid hence the wing had to come off. I simply grabbed it underneath and pulled it into the most extended position. Removed it, then when I was done I bolted the wing back on. Moved it back manually to the most extended position. Started the car, it gave an error. But drove and it did its usual reset by going all the way in then back to Active aero position. The error cleared and hasnt come back. Nothing stored either
That is accurate, if you move it once or maybe twice. When building my exhaust I had mine moved a bunch and it was all out of whack. Safest way is to not move it at all, but you can get away with it once if you do it right.

It's sensitive enough to where I've had a fault from bumping mine while you asking it. Tap it back and it's good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I installed my CF ducktail myself and gently lifted the brake up to access the fasteners. I had no issue when the car started up. I agree with EMF that if you move it more than 1 or 2 times it becomes an issue. Also, in typical McLaren manufacturing style I only had clips holding my light in place. If this is the case with your car take your time removing the light because my clips were a beast to deal with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Apparently there is a way to clear the air brake/rear wing fault. leave the ignition of, and take the key fob away from the car. Then follow the very simple, 3 minutes process described and demonstrated by John from Thorney Motorsports in their YouTube Channel. Simple and free... Gentlemen: is being wealthy enough to have these cars equivalent to being stupid with our money??? I don’t think so, precisely the opposite indeed. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I also moved the wing manually to the air brake position and then manually back again. I think it makes sense not to start the car in between. When the engine is started, the wing goes through a "calibration process". By the way, the car does this "calibration process" every time it starts, which is also audible and visible. I have never had an error message.

Hood Motor vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts