McLaren Life banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with that solution, I know there are a few companies that offer bigger turbos you just swap out.
The TD04 turbo utilized in our engines is about as basic as it gets. There are a number of parts available, and then you have a machine shop balance and assemble with the proper clearances work done. This is what the shops who use factory housings do - just upgrade the compressor wheel, turbine, bearings, etc. Mamba is one of the outlets for parts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
The TD04 turbo utilized in our engines is about as basic as it gets. There are a number of parts available, and then you have a machine shop balance and assemble with the proper clearances work done. This is what the shops who use factory housings do - just upgrade the compressor wheel, turbine, bearings, etc. Mamba is one of the outlets for parts
Why do I get the feeling after you buy the parts and pay someone to make them work, you paid for someone else's finished product.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with that solution, I know there are a few companies that offer bigger turbos you just swap out.
Okay well here is a cheaper solution for you... take off your turbos... replace the CHRA with these, get a turbo shop to machine out your compressor housing to fit and double check the balancing (apparently the mamba are already balanced, but won’t hurt to check) and Re-instal turbos on your car.

upgraded parts:
1. Compressor wheel (now a 22T / 18G)
2. 9 blade turbine wheel
3. Upgraded CHRA internals

I’m not in USA so can’t cost out your machining of compressorHousing and balancing, but can’t be more than say $600 ? Total spend =$2000

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why do I get the feeling after you buy the parts and pay someone to make them work, you paid for someone else's finished product.
Parts cost are considerably less. The markup on the finished TD04 turbos are over double, if not triple, what you’d spend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Okay well here is a cheaper solution for you... take off your turbos... replace the CHRA with these, get a turbo shop to machine out your compressor housing to fit and double check the balancing (apparently the mamba are already balanced, but won’t hurt to check) and Re-instal turbos on your car.

upgraded parts:
1. Compressor wheel (now a 22T / 18G)
2. 9 blade turbine wheel
3. Upgraded CHRA internals

I’m not in USA so can’t cost out your machining of compressorHousing and balancing, but can’t be more than say $600 ? Total spend =$2000
Did anyone ever finish the ball bearing CHRA drop in version?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did anyone ever finish the ball bearing CHRA drop in version?
I looked online for it yesterday, but cant find it "off the shelf" (net) so it looks like if you email in some companies they might have the option, but that being said, after reading a couple of chats, im seeing like 400-600rpm sooner boost coming on, even with some companies tuning that "spike" out to a smoother onset of power in order to protect engine with low down torque coming in hard. Some even doing it with journal bearing option already let alone BB option.

Peronally, i fee lthat with the 9 blade turbine and enhanced compressor side (6+6) and upgraded Thrust bearing, you might even start to shave off some RPM from OEM alone. I laready battle with OEM turbos when the boost hits with traction, imagine with BB? Personally i dont see the need, although the mind always things "well seeing as though i have the turbos out, might as well do BB upgrade same time"

·
Registered
38 Posts
I looked online for it yesterday, but cant find it "off the shelf" (net) so it looks like if you email in some companies they might have the option, but that being said, after reading a couple of chats, im seeing like 400-600rpm sooner boost coming on, even with some companies tuning that "spike" out to a smoother onset of power in order to protect engine with low down torque coming in hard. Some even doing it with journal bearing option already let alone BB option.

Peronally, i fee lthat with the 9 blade turbine and enhanced compressor side (6+6) and upgraded Thrust bearing, you might even start to shave off some RPM from OEM alone. I laready battle with OEM turbos when the boost hits with traction, imagine with BB? Personally i dont see the need, although the mind always things "well seeing as though i have the turbos out, might as well do BB upgrade same time"
Good call. BB likely unnecessary as spool time isn't an issue with these small turbos.

Any idea what the upgrades are that Pure and others do? I imagine they likely use a similar set of parts.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts