McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did the Fabspeed catless and tune to my 650s several weeks ago and noticed the rasp on my first drive off. Really loud and annoying although after the rasp rpm, it just takes off and a different animal from stock so kind of worth it. So loud when it rasp tho and I’m sure it scares the other cars around me.
I got an AWE exhaust coming so I’ll report after if that eliminates the rasp. I really think it will.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I did the Fabspeed catless and tune to my 650s several weeks ago and noticed the rasp on my first drive off. Really loud and annoying although after the rasp rpm, it just takes off and a different animal from stock so kind of worth it. So loud when it rasp tho and I’m sure it scares the other cars around me.
I got an AWE exhaust coming so I’ll report after if that eliminates the rasp. I really think it will.
Based on my findings, I think you're right. It will not go away but way more tolerable. I'm going the extra mile on the little bit though. You'll also notice the hotter the exhaust gets, the quieter the noise gets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Based on my findings, I think you're right. It will not go away but way more tolerable. I'm going the extra mile on the little bit though. You'll also notice the hotter the exhaust gets, the quieter the noise gets.
I haven’t noticed that but I wasn’t paying that close attention. I’ll check it out this weekend.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I made an alteration, adding branch resonators. Upon initial testing, the resonance is now a little lower frequency, at ~3,500 RPM, and not as loud. I reduced the ~3,800 RPM output so the other is more apparent. I never got the exhaust very hot so I expect what is there to go away when it gets hot. Just cruising you don't hear it at all, I had to intentionally manipulate the throttle to get it to make a noise which you can hear in the video below.

I'll put it back together and do some more testing with higher exhaust temperatures, but I do love that you can hear the turbos all the time, it's even more apparent windows down and not on camera.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow! That’s some handy useful skills and sounds like you accomplished your goal. Any noticeable performance gain/loss with those branches?

And yeah, the turbo noises Is intoxicating. Especially with the BMC filters

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Wow! That’s some handy useful skills and sounds like you accomplished your goal. Any noticeable performance gain/loss with those branches?

And yeah, the turbo noises Is intoxicating. Especially with the BMC filters
I have stock filters, but my my test driving on it consisted of 6 miles of city driving. Sometime this week I want to do a more in depth drive. I'm not anticipating any performance change from the branches. I'm not going for dyno numbers, I don't drag race, so minuscule results wouldn't be seen. I don't think it will make enough difference to see it in autocross, or at least justify it with as many variables as there could be in that scenario.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have stock filters, but my my test driving on it consisted of 6 miles of city driving. Sometime this week I want to do a more in depth drive. I'm not anticipating any performance change from the branches. I'm not going for dyno numbers, I don't drag race, so minuscule results wouldn't be seen. I don't think it will make enough difference to see it in autocross, or at least justify it with as many variables as there could be in that scenario.
Cool - btw - mad respect to you driving it in the rain! I haven't done that yet (not like it rain much in So. Cal anyhow). I'll get my AWE installed next week and I'll let you know if that eliminates the rasp!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Cool - btw - mad respect to you driving it in the rain! I haven't done that yet (not like it rain much in So. Cal anyhow). I'll get my AWE installed next week and I'll let you know if that eliminates the rasp!
I've driven mine in flooding rain, and snow, 20 something degrees, and 105+ degrees. I didn't buy it to look at it!

·
Registered
277 Posts
tensile strength at operating temp of the exhaust is pretty weak, its a joke from back in the day when alu exhausts were all the rage. To be honest everything says its a bad idea but i have yet to see any failures...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
tensile strength at operating temp of the exhaust is pretty weak, its a joke from back in the day when alu exhausts were all the rage. To be honest everything says its a bad idea but i have yet to see any failures...
I'm not anticipating higher than 400 degrees on the catback, headers and downpipes might be another story. At 400 degrees just about anything should be OK. Before you know it, they'll say aluminum has a better sound. When all is said and done I will challenge anyone to tell me what material mine made from, only from hearing it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got the AWE x-pipe installed and took the car home yesterday! The rasp is now completely gone. Replacing the rasp in that rpm range (3-5K) is now actually a muted but loud whoosh followed by a loud roar leading into the high rpm. The sound throughout the rpm range now sounds way more refined and tuned. As far as loudness, you would think the stock sport exhaust with its huge muffler would be quieter than the AWE X-pipe with no muffler but it's the other way around. Its now actually little quieter but as noted before, much more refined and enjoyable sound than before. I compare the before sound experience to uncorking a street car as it has that aggressive rawness sound. Now it's more like a race car with a muffler. I also had it re-tune adding burbles so the driving experience is 100% better now. I recommend all non-catted with stock exhaust to go to aftermarket X-pipe. Well worth it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got the AWE x-pipe installed and took the car home yesterday! The rasp is now completely gone. Replacing the rasp in that rpm range (3-5K) is now actually a muted but loud whoosh followed by a loud roar leading into the high rpm. The sound throughout the rpm range now sounds way more refined and tuned. As far as loudness, you would think the stock sport exhaust with its huge muffler would be quieter than the AWE X-pipe with no muffler but it's the other way around. Its now actually little quieter but as noted before, much more refined and enjoyable sound than before. I compare the before sound experience to uncorking a street car as it has that aggressive rawness sound. Now it's more like a race car with a muffler. I also had it re-tune adding burbles so the driving experience is 100% better now. I recommend all non-catted with stock exhaust to go to aftermarket X-pipe. Well worth it.
If you had a muffler, you didn't have the sport exhaust. The stock sport exhaust is just an H pipe. As far as one being louder than the other, do you mean before downpipes or after? If you mean after, the aftermarket is quieter because of the resonance problem being resolved. There is over a 12 dB difference when you fix that, and 12 dB is A LOT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you had a muffler, you didn't have the sport exhaust. The stock sport exhaust is just an H pipe. As far as one being louder than the other, do you mean before downpipes or after? If you mean after, the aftermarket is quieter because of the resonance problem being resolved. There is over a 12 dB difference when you fix that, and 12 dB is A LOT.
Didn’t know that. Cars sticker said sport exhaust but it does have a muffler. ?

Car is louder with the stock exhaust (and catless dp) than AWE exhaust (and catless dp) but you’re explanation on the resonance problem being Resolved makes sense. I put on some more miles today and the AWE exhaust add some noticeable power too. Stock exhaust pic attached

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Didn’t know that. Cars sticker said sport exhaust but it does have a muffler. ?

Car is louder with the stock exhaust (and catless dp) than AWE exhaust (and catless dp) but you’re explanation on the resonance problem being Resolved makes sense. I put on some more miles today and the AWE exhaust add some noticeable power too. Stock exhaust pic attached
Ah HA, you have a spyder. The spyder has the mini muffler thing (haven't seen inside, may just be a resonator) after the H pipe for the sport. The coupe doesn't have that part.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, I've got it all back together and this is what I'm working with. Yes the carbon fiber on the car is UV yellowing which is more apparent now with fresh carbon fiber. But, I did make sure to make the filler panels the same pattern in the same direction as on the car. The tips are also carbon fiber but a different pattern, I couldn't help that, and it's possible nobody will notice except for everyone reading this thread. I'm happy with how this turned out, I think it looks way better.

I've got a video I'm putting together on this, but shout-out to who said I couldn't make a good sounding exhaust because I don't have an engineering degree and a big R&D budget. I made EVERYTHING using basic tools. I didn't use any 3D scanners, no CAD, all of it was tracing by hand, a measuring tape, jigsaw, grinder, table saw, chop saw, welder, and plasma cutter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dang, you made that whole carbon set up, the tips and the back off plate? You should consider taking orders. I’ll put in mine as I like that look!

41 - 60 of 88 Posts