McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone weighed their MP4 on the scales to see what they really weigh on the street? (US version)?

·
Registered
551 Posts
My scale isn't big enough :).

Sorry .. Couldn't help it but interesting to do it. With full fuel tank, no driver , no passenger?

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I always suggest weighing a car with a full tank - that way it is easy to subtract a known quantity of weight from the fuel to get closer to its dry weight.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
551 Posts
Lets try that. Interesting to see if there a difference

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine weighed in at 3,118 pounds, car has CCBs, superlight wheels and sport exhaust.... 1/4 tank of fuel....

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
mine weighed in at 3,118 pounds, car has CCBs, superlight wheels and sport exhaust.... 1/4 tank of fuel....
Standard seats or electric ?? thats good as the difference between the ccb and sports exhaust is the same weight at standard brakes and standard exhaust.SO the only weight saving is the superlight wheels which are 10 kg lighter than sports i think.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
1400 kilo is pretty good and probably supports Mclarens claims, sorry assertions.

Anybody with a 458? Good to hear what that records on a weighbridge.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Very good indeed.

1/4 tank of fuel means 18 Liters that makes 13.5 Kg so the empty car weights in at 1400 Kg, impressing.

Going to put mine on the scale in the coming 2 weeks.
Will be interested to see what your car comes up at McDc.

Somewhat co-incidential timing given this thread, I had arranged to get my car weighed today and got this - 1473kg.

Car has a full tank of fuel (or as much as I could put in as the fuel bar never really shows as completely full somehow), electric seats, superlight wheels, sports exhaust.

With me seated in the car later, corner weights were:
LF 303kg RF 360kg
LR 453kg RR 427kg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Will be interested to see what your car comes up at McDc.

Somewhat co-incidential timing given this thread, I had arranged to get my car weighed today and got this.

Car has a full tank of fuel (or as much as I could put in as the fuel bar never really shows as completely full somehow), electric seats, superlight wheels, sports exhaust.

With me seated in the car later, corner weights were:
LF 303kg RF 360kg
LR 453kg RR 427kg
So if I did the math correctly isv you weigh approximately 89kgs. Of course this is based on your car weighing in at 1400kgs. Cheers....??

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Somewhat co-incidential timing given this thread, I had arranged to get my car weighed today and got this.

Car has a full tank of fuel (or as much as I could put in as the fuel bar never really shows as completely full som
Thanks for posting ISV. That would make 1420Kg for an empty car. Still impressive but +20 Kg compared to fiksegts's car. Wondering if he's got manual seats ?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Thanks for posting ISV. That would make 1420Kg for an empty car. Still impressive but +20 Kg compared to fiksegts's car. Wondering if he's got manual seats ?
Heh would be quite odd if he had electric seats too! I had left a few bits and bobs in the car (trickle charger/tyre kit in boot I was lazy to remove) but hardly 20kg worth! Would be interesting to know what the weight difference in electric/manual seats is...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
carbon ceramic brakes save weight as well.... what is the weight savings in regular vs electric seats?

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
carbon ceramic brakes save weight as well.... what is the weight savings in regular vs electric seats?
The carbon ceramic brake system on the 12C are actually heavier than the steel brakes they fit to the car.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
where does it say that, CCB's are typically MUCH lighter....

"Carbon ceramic materials are 50% lighter than cast-iron discs, which reduce a car’s unsprung weight and should improve handling and driving dynamics."

For McLaren, the focus on reducing weight does not end at the carbon-fiber tub. The 12C comes standard with specially designed cast-iron brake rotors floating on aluminum carriers. These brakes are more than capable of handling regular on-road duties, but, more important, they are also 18 lb. lighter than conventional iron rotors. Of note, even lighter carbon-ceramic units are available as an option on the car.

The carbon ceramic brake system on the 12C are actually heavier than the steel brakes they fit to the car.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
where does it say that, CCB's are typically MUCH lighter....

"Carbon ceramic materials are 50% lighter than cast-iron discs, which reduce a car’s unsprung weight and should improve handling and driving dynamics."
McLaren early promotion material stated that the aluminium hub contributed to weight savings of iron over ccb brakes.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts