McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had seen this on classic as well - in your opinion, do you see these cars continuing to go up or going back down to pre-pandemic prices? Seems like there are a fair amount for sale with fairly high asks that aren’t moving.
If you're buying this as an "investment", then it's probably a pretty bad idea. Almost no cars in the history of carmaking have beat the S&P 500 over time.

If you're buying artwork and will never drive it or sell it, then it's maybe not a bad deal. I was casually looking for a Caulder mobile recently and was shocked that a tabletop version was going for $3 Mil. Outa my price range. For now.

If you're buying it for fun and to drive it, then you're probably right to wait awhile and let the "pandemic bubble" pop. Then take it to the track, where it's supposed to be! But there are many more McLaren options that probably make a lot more sense financially...

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
If you're buying this as an "investment", then it's probably a pretty bad idea. Almost no cars in the history of carmaking have beat the S&P 500 over time.

If you're buying artwork and will never drive it or sell it, then it's maybe not a bad deal. I was casually looking for a Caulder mobile recently and was shocked that a tabletop version was going for $3 Mil. Outa my price range. For now.

If you're buying it for fun and to drive it, then you're probably right to wait awhile and let the "pandemic bubble" pop. Then take it to the track, where it's supposed to be! But there are many more McLaren options that probably make a lot more sense financially...
Disagree and my Senna is for sale. Reason - fastest lightweight fiercest road car with least issues with no hybrid 150k down the road every 3 - 5 years. The lightweight aero speed is comfortable with light from the doors roof and excellent visibility. My only issue is I love roadsters and that is the only reason - likely replacing it with a much more expensive exotic. The LT Spider is nowhere near a Senna in presence ownership or name where Mclaren honored the wordless greatest F1 driver. Anyway Senna's the right ones will see 2m and never look back going north.

Own Carrera GT Viper Speciale 16M 812GTS 765 Spider and others that have increased and beating the S&P but if you look at storage taxes insurance to carry a collection - you are missing the premise of owning exotics watches art collectibles is a lifestyle. Senna if it sells will be a mistake no doubt in my mind. MSO builds are now being appreciated by collectors and drivers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah I would be buying it to drive it for sure - to me, that's the whole point of buying fun cars.

Love the 765LT but I really have my sites set on the ultimate series. Totally understand the performance / speed of the 765 and it looks great but the Senna is still a cut above IMO.

Has anyone seen this car in person? This is one I'm considering but I would want to get it CPO'd. Seems to be a bit over market on asking price now too with it being $1.35M

Disagree and my Senna is for sale. Reason - fastest lightweight fiercest road car with least issues with no hybrid 150k down the road every 3 - 5 years. The lightweight aero speed is comfortable with light from the doors roof and excellent visibility. My only issue is I love roadsters and that is the only reason - likely replacing it with a much more expensive exotic. The LT Spider is nowhere near a Senna in presence ownership or name where Mclaren honored the wordless greatest F1 driver. Anyway Senna's the right ones will see 2m and never look back going north.

Own Carrera GT Viper Speciale 16M 812GTS 765 Spider and others that have increased and beating the S&P but if you look at storage taxes insurance to carry a collection - you are missing the premise of owning exotics watches art collectibles is a lifestyle. Senna if it sells will be a mistake no doubt in my mind. MSO builds are now being appreciated by collectors and drivers.
Can you DM me info on your Senna for sale, or post a link if it's publicly available?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This would be my first Mclaren. Love unique designs so the Senna has always been a car I’ve considered. Are there reasons I shouldn’t?
You wont like it as a first Mclaren - I have owned and still own almost all Mclaren models and Ill tell you the Senna is the least enjoyable to drive for the most part - although its street legal its not practical for the streets at all unless you live where there is smooth track like roads all around you

I would highly suggest considering a 720/765 before the Senna to get a true appreciation of how good road cars Mclaren truly makes

I own models across all super and hyper car brands and I tell you - the 720/765 is the GOAT of all cars in my experience

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You wont like it as a first Mclaren - I have owned and still own almost all Mclaren models and Ill tell you the Senna is the least enjoyable to drive for the most part - although its street legal its not practical for the streets at all unless you live where there is smooth track like roads all around you

I would highly suggest considering a 720/765 before the Senna to get a true appreciation of how good road cars Mclaren truly makes

I own models across all super and hyper car brands and I tell you - the 720/765 is the GOAT of all cars in my experience
This is high praise coming from someone like you with your collection. I too agree- 720/765 just untouchable. Sold my GT3, contemplating selling my Pista to add another mclaren. They are just so good.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm the opposite, I pretty much only own specialized versions such as the Senna and others alike. I find my Senna LM to be extremely enjoyable on the roads around me, but then, that also depends on where you live. Within a 30 miles (48km) radius around me, I have access to multiple canyon roads around Malibu and Angeles Crest Highway. Literally hundreds and hundreds of miles of canyon heaven.

I believe you live in Toronto, my hometown where I grew up, so I know the roads there well. Let me say this, Toronto or Ontario as a whole, has literally no canyon or curves whatsoever. Driving on the 401 or parking your car on Avenue/Bloor gets boring very quickly. Mosport is the only fun track there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You need more specialized cars buddy! Trade your GT3 for a 911R/4.0. Trade your Pista for a REAL Ferrari with a NA V12 like a TDF/812C, none of these turbo/dyson crap.

This is high praise coming from someone like you with your collection. I too agree- 720/765 just untouchable. Sold my GT3, contemplating selling my Pista to add another mclaren. They are just so good.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts

My Senna may be sold but still believe it's 2nd only to Carrera GT and only due to roadster.
Problem I have is the attention - Senna never any issues on street driving / enjoying the car itself.
Settings on Senna make it usable - soft close doors and phenomenal stereo.
Also own a few cars but there is nothing like the road presence of Senna. It's not a braggers cars inasmuch a drivers car that nothing can better on track.

I understand the GOAT thing but zero desire to own a car that does many things well vs a few things excellent.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
My Senna may be sold but still believe it's 2nd only to Carrera GT and only due to roadster.
Problem I have is the attention - Senna never any issues on street driving / enjoying the car itself.
Settings on Senna make it usable - soft close doors and phenomenal stereo.
Also own a few cars but there is nothing like the road presence of Senna. It's not a braggers cars inasmuch a drivers car that nothing can better on track.

I understand the GOAT thing but zero desire to own a car that does many things well vs one or two things excellent.
Why are you selling? I agree with your last point, the choice is between a car that does a lot of things very well, or a more focused car that does a few things exceptionally at the expense of some of the other things you might want from a car.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Why are you selling? I agree with your last point, the choice is between a car that does a lot of things very well, or a more focused car that does a few things exceptionally at the expense of some of the other things you might want from a car.
Prefer roadster and it's too nice of MSO spec - belongs in a museum which is not my cup of tea.
Looking back thought it was cool - reality is it's not the right spec / coupe and that combination is tough on the enjoyment.
I have an LT spider all carbon waiting at the dealer, hoping I don't regret this move :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts