McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I am a GT-R owner who is now growing tired of the hideous reliability of the GT-R transmission.

Car is fast (when it works) but I need both speed and reliability.
And I must admit I am attracted to the novelty of the above mentioned super cars.

The GT-R is and always will be no more than a toy.

Now because I am trying to chose between MP4, 458, SLS Black or F12 I need advise.

458 SPIDER?
Does it flex? Rattle the mirrors and so on?
Can you lower it and keep warranty (crazy in Europe, NO warranty if you even put a sticker on the car).

MP4 SPIDER?
sportexhaust loud enough?
Is it reliable? any gearbox issues or breakdowns?

F12?
Am I the only one who suspects the novelty wheres of?
The car looks wonderful but so did the 599 who was quickly forgotten.

SLS AMG BLACK?
looks to much?
Not faster than SLS GT?

If MP4 can be driven in anger on track with no problems and be as comfortable as described then it sounds wonderful.
But tests describe one day of the cars life, whats it like when DD and hard continuous use hits it?

your comments please?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
My 12C has approx 12,000 km incl trackdays and no reliability issues. Daily driver and never been stranded.

The last McLaren trackday, all the 12Cs ran hard back to back sessions with no issues that I could see.

Is your GT- R tuned? Either way I imagine a 458 spider might feel pedestrian in comparison. They have definitely had their share of Getrag gearbox issues in the coupe, but perhaps solved by now? Lots of threads on the net to research.

Yes in my opinion F12 is 599 redux. For that money I find it unacceptable that you don't get a carbon chassis, but by all other accounts it looks an impressive machine. Have not driven one yet, myself.

I'm in the minority that I like the SLS Black design. A bit busy looking, but the vanilla SLS is very common where I live so it would stand apart.

Have you driven the upgraded 625 PS 12C yet? If not, just get a test drive. Turn both dials full right. Mash the gas. Bring your cheque book. :)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
458 Spyder doesn't belong in the same sentence as the 12C Spider. Totally compromised chassis with the convertible top and so much heavier and less powerful than the McLaren.

This is hands down McLaren imo, since the F12 is more like a high power tourer.

SLS Black Series will get destroyed on the track and on the street by a 12C as well.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
My 12C has approx 12,000 km incl trackdays and no reliability issues. Daily driver and never been stranded.

The last McLaren trackday, all the 12Cs ran hard back to back sessions with no issues that I could see.

Is your GT- R tuned? Either way I imagine a 458 spider might feel pedestrian in comparison. They have definitely had their share of Getrag gearbox issues in the coupe, but perhaps solved by now? Lots of threads on the net to research.

Yes in my opinion F12 is 599 redux. For that money I find it unacceptable that you don't get a carbon chassis, but by all other accounts it looks an impressive machine. Have not driven one yet, myself.

I'm in the minority that I like the SLS Black design. A bit busy looking, but the vanilla SLS is very common where I live so it would stand apart.

Have you driven the upgraded 625 PS 12C yet? If not, just get a test drive. Turn both dials full right. Mash the gas. Bring your cheque book. :)
Hey 6th couldn't agree with you more, especially with the last comment you made, well done. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The 12C-SP, is epic, don't worry about the sports exhaust. How ever You need to budget a big amount for deprecation. My SP was 259k list 500 miles, no offers , for sale at 40k off list,

Its the Yellow one at McLaren Birmingham. At 219k

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the replies, My GT-R is tuned so im not to impressed with my friends 458.
I love the MP4 but I am a bit worried with the short historie of the car.
As GT-R is not a finished product and every single one breaks down at some point.

We cant test drive mclarens here as dealer is very reluctant to put miles on demo cars (cheap ass MF)
I think MP4 is beyond gt-r speed with supercar looks and hopefully reliability and dealer backing far better than GT-R.

we are on nurburgring and autobahn alot here, and real power matters.

I have 2 cars available for immediate delivery.

black on black coupe with ceramic brakes
or white on black spider with steel brakes.

same price, both stealth and sport exhaust 2013 models (new)

is steel brakes good? we track a lot and I tend to kill all brakes (M3, GT-R, 430, all died on SPA race track). on car that held was my 997 GT3 with steel brakes.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thank you for the replies, My GT-R is tuned so im not to impressed with my friends 458.
As GT-R is not a finished product and every single one breaks down at some point.

We cant test drive mclarens here as dealer is very reluctant to put miles on demo cars (cheap ass MF)
I think MP4 is beyond gt-r speed with supercar looks and hopefully reliability and dealer backing far better than GT-R.

is steel brakes good? we track a lot and I tend to kill all brakes (M3, GT-R, 430, all died on SPA race track). on car that held was my 997 GT3 with steel brakes.
I know 997tt ceramics are not in comparison to gt3 brakes,but i cook them quicker than the steel 12c:s,Ok I know that's the fluid,but its still says something about the quality of the McLaren,but if i had the choice again and lived in Germany i would spec ceramics.As for the gearbox its probably the strongest out there,over 2000 built and only a handful of problems,but no real failures that i know of.
This car really is on its own,built by a race car company not a road car company,and its still a case of only the owners realise this,it will take a while for the word to get out!!
Biggest question you need to ask yourself,how many owners are selling up and going back to their old brands?? if they do its not down to the quality of the car its more for personal reasons IMO

·
Registered
8,123 Posts

I have steels.. Been to spa twice and the ring twice,. Still no problems and brakes have probably improved...(still on first set of pads) Break performance is the same although it does seem on the limit the ceramics have less fade but are arguably more prone to wear.. Replacement of steels obviously cheaper. Gt3 versions of the 12c run steels

·
Registered
493 Posts

If you track your car a lot, then go for the coupe with the ceramics. If you occasionally track your 12C, and use it to go shopping and entertaining, get the White Spider!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Based on what you are saying, I would opt for the CCB. I just met a fellow 12C owner at my last track day, he is a serious track junkie - trailers his 12C to the track. Car is lowered and on Hoosiers, but he has steel brakes. First thing he said when he drove one of the McLaren fleet cars with CCB is that it stopped much better than his car. I took it as very credible testimony.

Personally, I love my CCB on road and track and will not hesitate to option them again on my next Mac.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I have to spec white spider with stealth, super light and sport exhaust, orange breaks and stitchings.
I understand the whole things is the rigidity compared to the 458 spider.

I just hop the dealer (only opened 8 month ago) can get an allocation fast.
we have a ferrari dealer in town and have a quite a phew friends in 458's would be nice to shock them.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I have to go a bit against a few of the above replies. If you are seriously tracking the car, i would go for steel brakes simply because they are far cheaper to replace and you WILL get through discs pretty quick on track. For a car that is mainly for road use with occasional track use, ceramics would make sense in my opinion. There is a reason a lot of the gt3rs Porsche guys who regularly track their cars go down the alcon steel disc route I reckon...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good point

You have a very good point.
I know quite a phew porsche drivers who switch to steel.
But I am looking for the least amount of brake fade.
That could be a change of fluids and pads on the steel rotors perhaps?

If I go this route then I can buy the car from showroom on monday...;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've had 3 GT-Rs, 2009, 2012, 2013 and recently traded in the 2013 GT-R for the McLaren.... The McLaren is awesome, you won't regret it, it's pretty much an exotic GT-R, more power, much less weight, 7 speed DCT SSG transmission and more....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not one of my guys who tracks their car regularly got ceramics. Ultimate performance may be a tad better, but the iron NEVER fade,** and cost so much less to replace that there's just no point. Get ceramics for a street car when you want them to last forever and not create dust (and look bitchin').

**Or - in my experience and that of my clients, we've not experienced any fade regardless how we were using the car.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Asking which car to buy on a Mac forum :eek:

Go get the Mac - the sooner the better ... in Mac we trust :)

Only thing to add is IMO CC brakes are perfection!

·
Owner
166 Posts
I've covered 7,000 track miles in 12 months. Car has never missed a beat.

Ps. WIll be at Silverstone on the 27th with it. Now has buckets, cage & harness.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts