McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an AMS tune on my car for a little over a year, trouble free. I just put downpipes on my car and it needs to be retuned. Naturally, I went back to AMS and they said it would be $1,000. This got me thinking.... can I do better? $1,000 seems silly when I already paid them $2,400 and it never saw a dyno (nor would it second time around). So, any suggestions to either spend less for the same result or get more for my money?

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
$1k seems fairly standard for a re-tune (on a dyno) from what I have seen.

Don't bother re-tuning with DP's. You aren't going to see any significant difference if you dyno'ed before and after... maybe a few HP. I ran my DPs with factory tune for years without issue. Even if they gave you 30-40 HP, you would be challenged to feel that on a 600+ HP car. Just enjoy the new sound and pocket the $1k.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$1k seems fairly standard for a re-tune (on a dyno) from what I have seen.

Don't bother re-tuning with DP's. You aren't going to see any significant difference if you dyno'ed before and after... maybe a few HP. I ran my DPs with factory tune for years without issue. Even if they gave you 30-40 HP, you would be challenged to feel that on a 600+ HP car. Just enjoy the new sound and pocket the $1k.
Right, real time being put in on a dyno I can justify the money spent. But opening a box to put a canned program that takes no time or effort I have some qualms. My concern with not retuning is the potential for having AFR's off. I don't want to cause damage as a result.

As far as the sound goes, I gotta spend some money to fix it. It is completely unacceptable between 3-4k RPM on throttle. WOT under load continues the racket just not quite as loud above that range. It's pretty unbearable, not so much the loud but the rasp.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What system did you get, and do they have cats?
I got Kooks catless. That combined with the stock sport exhaust is straight piped with an H pipe, and it's brutal. I'm gonna have to take the sport exhaust out and make something with resonators in it I think.

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
You could pay for a set like the rest of us... ;)

It will probably be on the same order of cost (especially if you cost out your time spent) to modify the system by adding resonators or other components vs. than just buying a new set of pipes.

Good luck either way!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could pay for a set like the rest of us... ;)

It will probably be on the same order of cost (especially if you cost out your time spent) to modify the system by adding resonators or other components vs. than just buying a new set of pipes.

Good luck either way!
You underestimate my ability to make an exhaust system and not pay people to swap downpipes. I refuse to spend $5,000 on $30 of pipe.

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
You are not paying for the materials alone... you are paying for the engineering, sound design, etc. And no system, to my knowledge, is $5K. My Larini pipes were under $2k shipped. I believe Fabspeed's systems are $3.5K or so, shipped. The expensive bit is the CAT, making your own or not. I agree that straight pipes are "easy" but for some, their time is more valuable and the convenience of buying something like an exhaust is considered worthwhile.

No insult intended, but put up or shut up! Let see your exhaust skills and a before-and-after sound clip!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You are not paying for the materials alone... you are paying for the engineering, sound design, etc. And no system, to my knowledge, is $5K. My Larini pipes were under $2k shipped. I believe Fabspeed's systems are $3.5K or so, shipped. The expensive bit is the CAT, making your own or not. I agree that straight pipes are "easy" but for some, their time is more valuable and the convenience of buying something like an exhaust is considered worthwhile.

No insult intended, but put up or shut up! Let see your exhaust skills and a before-and-after sound clip!
I'm not doing cats, period. My intent right now is to do something in place of the sport exhaust with resonators so it's still straight through but will take the awful rasp out. I will definitely do a before and after, just gotta find the time to do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
EMF, I have the same setup (catless Kooks/Sport CB) as you and will be "modding" the stock sport cat-back. On a previous catless turbo car I had straight piped I drilled holes into the 3" exhaust like swiss cheese with many 3/4" holes over roughly 12", wrapped the pipe in stainless mesh, encapsulated the length with 5" stainless pipe, filled with stainless steel wool, and "capped" the ends. Still straight thru but definitely takes the edge off. Worked great, no rasp, no drone, was quick and no hassling with fitment as you don't change anything dimensionally.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EMF, I have the same setup (catless Kooks/Sport CB) as you and will be "modding" the stock sport cat-back. On a previous catless turbo car I had straight piped I drilled holes into the 3" exhaust like swiss cheese with many 3/4" holes over roughly 12", wrapped the pipe in stainless mesh, encapsulated the length with 5" stainless pipe, filled with stainless steel wool, and "capped" the ends. Still straight thru but definitely takes the edge off. Worked great, no rasp, no drone, was quick and no hassling with fitment as you don't change anything dimensionally.
I don't want to modify the stock stuff so I have a stock part should someone want it, or future owner wants it back to stock. So, I'll be making my own X pipe back there.

·
Sponsor
1,338 Posts
I hope this helps and sheds some light on Mclaren sound, quality sports car sound.
EMF Audio- I like your handle. The following might alleviate the resonance and drone factor of the catbypass pipes you received or any catbypass pipes from any company. All McLaren catbypass pipes must be wrapped or covered to greatly reduce sympathetic resonance also called droning. Droning noise is a lousy obnoxious noise that causes bad sound in the cars cabin. Most companies try to eliminate the noise through engineering.
If your mclaren pipes are loud wrap them with materials that will absorb alot of the drone and subsonic noise. OEM Mclaren metal heat shields do a really poor job of absorbing sympathetic harmonic frequencies as these were designed for 4 restrictive OEM 600 small catalytic converters. Aftermarket HJS German highflow catalytic converters or catbypass pipes will obviously free up exhaust flow and velocity and the factory Mclaren heat shields will allow vibration and subsonic noise to radiate into the cockpit. This is inevitable.

A solution for any brand of sport cat or catbypass pipes for Mclaren cars like the MP4/650/570 would be Fabspeed MIL spec thermal blankets made of 321 stainless steel 2000 degree cermaic matting 25mm thick and wrapped with rock wool outside covers and 321 stainless steel springs. The Fabspeed Mclaren thermal blankets can easily be retrofitted to stock or aftermarket Mclaren sport cats or catbypass pipes. Simply remove or bend down the mounting tabs.

On other datapoint. Fabspeed Mclaren systems are 100% designed and made inhouse from T304L , 321SS stainless steel with MilSpec defense quality blankets that are state of the art.

Here a picture of our system and blankets. Investment casting inlet bells for absolute maximum flow and investment cast outlet elbow for maximum flow.

Hope this helped and we can quiet or update any system. Cruise over and try out a McLaren at Fabspeed Motorsport USA.
joe Fabiani Fabspeed Motorsport USA
www.fabspeed.com
215-646-4945

1 - 20 of 21 Posts