McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a rattling noise at high speeds?

Recently when I took my newly acquired 12C on a high speed joy ride and engine run-in, I noticed an incessant ticking noise coming from the right and left rear quarter corners behind the seats that seem to become apparent and irritating at speeds above 180km/h all the way pass 300km/h. When I slowed the car down due to traffic, the ticking noise steadily disappeared and gradually reappeared again as the car was brought up to speed again.:confused:

I am guessing that the noise may be a result of the aerodynamic forces pressurizing the plastic engine covers surrounding the engine bay or perhaps the rattling of the speaker diaphragm of the ISG? The car experiences no such noise in city driving even on irregular or bumpy roads.
I must say the V8 engine sounded purely fantastic at those blistering speeds except for the intrusive annoying ticking noise.:(

Can anyone assist to resolve the matter if you have experience the same abnormality?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
983 Posts
How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had something similar following service, it was more of a vibration? Turned out it was the rear under tray, just needed refitting and re-tightening. If yours has had a PDI of sorts then no doubt the tray has been off....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had something similar following service, it was more of a vibration? Turned out it was the rear under tray, just needed refitting and re-tightening. If yours has had a PDI of sorts then no doubt the tray has been off....
The car has over 1500km of mostly city miles.
Yes the ticking noise does felt and sound like a high frequency vibration.
Is the rear under tray the same as the rear diffuser?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I was going to say the same as Naranja.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The car has over 1500km of mostly city miles.
Yes the ticking noise does felt and sound like a high frequency vibration.
Is the rear under tray the same as the rear diffuser?
Yes, rear diffuser, is held on by many bolts and doesn't take much to be slightly misaligned.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all your kind assistance! I will check with my dealer during the first service which is coming up really soon.:)

The queer thing about noise, one may think its just an arm's length away but could never suspect that it would be that far below the bodywork under the car!?:eek:

·
Registered
551 Posts
In the very beginning I had that ticking noise from behind the seats. Even enterred the workshop but impossible to identify. The harder I drove the more ticking noise. Until one day I remarked the small leahter clip that hold the seatbelt wasn't clipped in .... this stupid thing was the cause and I felt really ambarrased with it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
In the very beginning I had that ticking noise from behind the seats. Even enterred the workshop but impossible to identify. The harder I drove the more ticking noise. Until one day I remarked the small leahter clip that hold the seatbelt wasn't clipped in .... this stupid thing was the cause and I felt really ambarrased with it.
It's truly amazing what and where these little noises come from, yes they can be a real distraction as well a nuisance. Nice to hear Belg that you found the root of this evil noise, valuable information for those experiencing the same dilemma. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have a rattling noise. It sounds like the window or something at the front, it's really irritating and I can't locate it but it sounds really bratty to drag it into the dealer for something like that. I also hear a slight whining noise when the AC is on but apparently it happens on all cars. Annoying, like all these noises they don't matter but one gets fixated on them.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I also have a rattling noise. It sounds like the window or something at the front, it's really irritating and I can't locate it but it sounds really bratty to drag it into the dealer for something like that. I also hear a slight whining noise when the AC is on but apparently it happens on all cars. Annoying, like all these noises they don't matter but one gets fixated on them.
I have a similar rattle by the front left window / dash, if you figure it out, please let me know the fix.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I remember having a whinning noise in the car as well and suddenly realised I had the wife along in the car. When driving by myself I didn't hzve that problem. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i remember having a whinning noise in the car as well and suddenly realised i had the wife along in the car. When driving by myself i didn't hzve that problem. Hope this helps
lol ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar rattle by the front left window / dash, if you figure it out, please let me know the fix.
I noticed a similar rattle at track speeds. Turned out the windscreen trim was slightly loose at the very top and flapping. You couldn't see it from inside the car and it went back into place when I slowed so it was tricky to find.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I noticed a similar rattle at track speeds. Turned out the windscreen trim was slightly loose at the very top and flapping. You couldn't see it from inside the car and it went back into place when I slowed so it was tricky to find.
Ok, so how do you tighten the windscreen frame? If I remember mine was loose too, think I noticed it last weekend when washing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so how do you tighten the windscreen frame? If I remember mine was loose too, think I noticed it last weekend when washing it.
We were at Road America when it started so I think we used duct tape. :)

When we got home we just used a small amount of glue to hold it in place. Probably not the perfect solution but we're a 7 hour drive from the dealer. It seems to have worked fine.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I remember having a whinning noise in the car as well and suddenly realised I had the wife along in the car. When driving by myself I didn't hzve that problem. Hope this helps
Your right Belg and that's hilarious, my wife will never ride in the car with me due to the fact that she can't stand the way I drive. Sorry that needs some clarification, she doesn't like going fast so if the car has fast spelled all over it, she's a no show. Yeeeee haaaaaa Cheers.....??

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
If you aren't near a dealer take it to an auto glass place - they are used to dealing with that stuff everyday. Maybe not on a 12C, but most automotive window trim mounts using similar clips or adhesives.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Most trim has a specific type of fastener, so chances are these fasteners need to be either replaced or possibly expanded so as to provide a better hold. Should be a pretty straight forward and easy fix either by your self or by your friendly McLaren mechanic. Good luck with all the little and not so little issues which keep on popping up. Cheers......??

1 - 20 of 50 Posts