McLaren Life banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yes tonight I took the car out and when it was idle I could here a rattle that would come at go. Sounds like it could be something loose or a sound from the tranny.

Anyone deal with anything similar?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twin clutch discs rattling against each other when clutch is disengaged - you should only hear this when car is completely stopped. It's something else if you are moving and hear it. All twin disc cars I've had to date make same sound.

For reference an over exaggeration of this if you want to hear clutch rattle, go listen to any Ducati motorcycle when the clutch lever is pulled back.
Fair enough, I know what you mean with the Ducati. Just that my GT-R rattled a bit, my SLS didn't and the 12C does but I only noticed it last night.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Twin clutch discs rattling against each other when clutch is disengaged - you should only hear this when car is completely stopped. It's something else if you are moving and hear it. All twin disc cars I've had to date make same sound.

For reference an over exaggeration of this if you want to hear clutch rattle, go listen to any Ducati motorcycle when the clutch lever is pulled back.
So when the car is in neutral, should the noise happen?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've experienced the same, at the dealer now so they can check it out. I too have had Ducati's in the past and know the sound I am hearing, at low idle in neutral (500RPM) should not sound like that. once I open the door, or turn on AC, or put in gear the RPM goes back up to 1K (as it should) and the ratlle disappears. it almost sounds like a loose heat shield or something. will see....
Spot on, please let me know the outcome!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same. It was the glass engine cover over the engine compartment.
Could very well be. I will check! Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jerome88, I haven't forgotten about you. Ok, so here is the deal, as I talked to the lead mechanic and they fixed the rattle on low idle. The culprit is the A/C coupler and a known problem! It is a warranty item and they now have a replacement for it that includes a shim to keep it from happening. Just ask to make sure your car has been fitted with the A/C coupler retrofit. All should be good once done, mine is running like a charm!
I really appreciate it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.