McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yes tonight I took the car out and when it was idle I could here a rattle that would come at go. Sounds like it could be something loose or a sound from the tranny.

Anyone deal with anything similar?

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Twin clutch discs rattling against each other when clutch is disengaged - you should only hear this when car is completely stopped. It's something else if you are moving and hear it. All twin disc cars I've had to date make same sound.

For reference an over exaggeration of this if you want to hear clutch rattle, go listen to any Ducati motorcycle when the clutch lever is pulled back.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twin clutch discs rattling against each other when clutch is disengaged - you should only hear this when car is completely stopped. It's something else if you are moving and hear it. All twin disc cars I've had to date make same sound.

For reference an over exaggeration of this if you want to hear clutch rattle, go listen to any Ducati motorcycle when the clutch lever is pulled back.
Fair enough, I know what you mean with the Ducati. Just that my GT-R rattled a bit, my SLS didn't and the 12C does but I only noticed it last night.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So when the car is in neutral, should the noise happen?

·
Registered
323 Posts
My 999R clutch sounds like a tin can with bolts knocking about inside at idle. It's glorious. When you twist it and the Termingioni pipes sing, there is no better sounding motorcycle.

·
McLaren Convert
398 Posts
Have you checked the body panels below the car? Several have reported that the bolts loosen and result in vibrations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've experienced the same, at the dealer now so they can check it out. I too have had Ducati's in the past and know the sound I am hearing, at low idle in neutral (500RPM) should not sound like that. once I open the door, or turn on AC, or put in gear the RPM goes back up to 1K (as it should) and the ratlle disappears. it almost sounds like a loose heat shield or something. will see....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've experienced the same, at the dealer now so they can check it out. I too have had Ducati's in the past and know the sound I am hearing, at low idle in neutral (500RPM) should not sound like that. once I open the door, or turn on AC, or put in gear the RPM goes back up to 1K (as it should) and the ratlle disappears. it almost sounds like a loose heat shield or something. will see....
Spot on, please let me know the outcome!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Engine Cover

So yes tonight I took the car out and when it was idle I could here a rattle that would come at go. Sounds like it could be something loose or a sound from the tranny.

Anyone deal with anything similar?
I had the same. It was the glass engine cover over the engine compartment.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same. It was the glass engine cover over the engine compartment.
Could very well be. I will check! Thanks!

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
It is probably body panels given the evolving descriptions as this thread progresses. It could also be clattering/knocking from the engine idling at 500 vs 650 - my guess the the timing control circuit is going nuts trying to keep the engine running that low RPM, don know enough about the engine controls to offer more than what happens on other engines I'm familiar with.

Rattling engine lids, body panels, etc. are the obvious 1st choices. A twin disc clutch you will hear rattle when the effective clutch pedal is depressed. Again not knowing the programming of the 12c, I would assume in neutral the clutch is engaged and the rattle should not be heard (like when humans put vehicles in neutral we usually let off the clutch/engage it). From my understanding the clutch is in an oil bath like a non-Ducati motorcycle (why 12c clutches are lifetime). This will greatly muffle the rattle but it can still be heard. A low frequency muffled rattle. Usually heat shields sound like cymbals crashing an body pans like heat shields or crap hitting under the car - again what I've noticed on other cars, my 12c does not have these rattles yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
jerome88, I haven't forgotten about you. Ok, so here is the deal, as I talked to the lead mechanic and they fixed the rattle on low idle. The culprit is the A/C coupler and a known problem! It is a warranty item and they now have a replacement for it that includes a shim to keep it from happening. Just ask to make sure your car has been fitted with the A/C coupler retrofit. All should be good once done, mine is running like a charm!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jerome88, I haven't forgotten about you. Ok, so here is the deal, as I talked to the lead mechanic and they fixed the rattle on low idle. The culprit is the A/C coupler and a known problem! It is a warranty item and they now have a replacement for it that includes a shim to keep it from happening. Just ask to make sure your car has been fitted with the A/C coupler retrofit. All should be good once done, mine is running like a charm!
I really appreciate it!

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,671 Posts
Anyone else had any loud metallic rattle at idle or low RPMs? My car is doing this now. Just got back from the dealer, and I don't want to send it back. Anyone have the A/c coupler retrofit done? Thx

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,671 Posts
Bumping this up - Anyone else have a rattle around 1500 RPM? Happens consistently esp on deceleration. Did anyone get an AC Coupler Retrofit?

Thx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts