McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second time after not driving the car for about +/- a week or two, car left on trickle charger, upon cold start the car threw a "Suspension Failure" message with the red warning triangle. As annoying as it is, and I doubt accumulators are leaking because it has happened before (this past December) but has disappeared until yesterday, I found a nail in the rear tire, so there's a solid issue that must be taken care of, instead of just a probable computer glitch. I find no correlation between the suspension error and a flat tire as the same message has appeared without a flat tire, again this past December. The dealer will take care of the situation, but has anyone had to deal with this before?

·
Registered
301 Posts
For the second time after not driving the car for about +/- a week or two, car left on trickle charger, upon cold start the car threw a "Suspension Failure" message with the red warning triangle. As annoying as it is, and I doubt accumulators are leaking because it has happened before (this past December) but has disappeared until yesterday, I found a nail in the rear tire, so there's a solid issue that must be taken care of, instead of just a probable computer glitch. I find no correlation between the suspension error and a flat tire as the same message has appeared without a flat tire, again this past December. The dealer will take care of the situation, but has anyone had to deal with this before?
Hello, when my accumulators went my suspension failure message would come on sporadically and there weren't any evident leaks. I have a feeling it is your accumulators but your service advisor will know better. I wish you good luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, when my accumulators went my suspension failure message would come on sporadically and there weren't any evident leaks. I have a feeling it is your accumulators but your service advisor will know better. I wish you good luck!
Ok it's good to know that it could be a telltale sign. Thank you.

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
2018 McLaren 720S Cerulean Blue
24 Posts
I get this message quite often and the dealer has never found any issues and of course it always clears before it gets to the dealer. This and the air break failure are my two most common errors codes I get. One of the few frustrating things about the car.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I just had my accumulators replaced.

OP get it done sooner then later because it will most likely get worse.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I get this message quite often and the dealer has never found any issues and of course it always clears before it gets to the dealer. This and the air break failure are my two most common errors codes I get. One of the few frustrating things about the car.
Airbrake fault is rather common boss, that's just the electrics getting confused at times and it fixes itseld shortly afterwards (turning active mode on and then off while moving always does it for me) but you shouldnt be getting suspension fault messages for no real reason. If it weren't the accumulators then perhaps a sensor's gone bad (id get a second opinion). These fault messages should be stored regardless of them going away by the time you reach the dealer

A telltale sign for the accumulators going is the suspension feeling crashy at active comfort-comfort mode. Some people have reported that their accumulators were changed not because they leaked but because of the gas mixing with the hydraulic fluid inside the spheres.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Airbrake fault is rather common boss, that's just the electrics getting confused at times and it fixes itseld shortly afterwards (turning active mode on and then off while moving always does it for me) but you shouldnt be getting suspension fault messages for no real reason. If it weren't the accumulators then perhaps a sensor's gone bad (id get a second opinion). These fault messages should be stored regardless of them going away by the time you reach the dealer

A telltale sign for the accumulators going is the suspension feeling crashy at active comfort-comfort mode. Some people have reported that their accumulators were changed not because they leaked but because of the gas mixing with the hydraulic fluid inside the spheres.
Good Timing as it is in for its yearly service and I am at end of warranty (Factory). I just e-mailed the shop and asked them to check all the accumulators. Thank you for the heads up!
Glenn

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankfully I've never felt the suspension feel crashy or abnormally rough in the time of owning the car. Dealer is picking up the car today. Lets see what happens.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same thing happened to me. I just had my accumulators replaced.

OP get it done sooner then later because it will most likely get worse.
Dealer picking up car today. If accumulators were to go out, now is the ideal time because original warranty ends in November. Still hoping it's something that doesn't require waiting weeks for parts to arrive, lol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: Before the truck arrives to pick up the car, I wanted to check if the lift system would work incase the error message popped up. Of course, the 'Suspension Failure' message just disappeared and the lifter worked, as well as Active Dynamics...couldn't make this stuff up lol. Anyways, the issue will still be tended too. More to follow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow--- Thanks Taw6189!!!!
Below from my dealer..........
Hi Glenn,
Your suspension warnings were in fact due to accumulator failure, and we have replaced all four accumulators under warranty. While the technician was performing the replacement, he also discovered an issue with the hydraulic lines. We are currently awaiting the parts.

I owe you a BIG beer! Just saved me thousands! LOL

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow--- Thanks Taw6189!!!!
Below from my dealer..........
Hi Glenn,
Your suspension warnings were in fact due to accumulator failure, and we have replaced all four accumulators under warranty. While the technician was performing the replacement, he also discovered an issue with the hydraulic lines. We are currently awaiting the parts.

I owe you a BIG beer! Just saved me thousands! LOL
Hahaha, that is great news sir! I am truly glad to hear it and am touched that you gave me some credit. You will notice a big difference with suspension on active-comfort mode now! You're lucky they had the accumulators in stock :) hoping the other parts come in asap!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Update: Before the truck arrives to pick up the car, I wanted to check if the lift system would work incase the error message popped up. Of course, the 'Suspension Failure' message just disappeared and the lifter worked, as well as Active Dynamics...couldn't make this stuff up lol. Anyways, the issue will still be tended too. More to follow.
🤣 🤣 my lift didnt work and i couldn't use the "active" panel whenever the light was on as well, but pulling over and letting the car sleep for five minutes cleared all the messages for me. The random nature of the problem can be quite a head scratcher but the servicing dealer should be able to figure out whatever it really is of course. Eager to hear what they say and how long it takes them to get it done. Just got my 720 back from service, took them a whole month lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hahaha, that is great news sir! I am truly glad to hear it and am touched that you gave me some credit. You will notice a big difference with suspension on active-comfort mode now! You're lucky they had the accumulators in stock :) hoping the other parts come in asap!
Yeah---they've had mine since 12/23/20....getting anxious as the snow is starting to melt! I can't wait to get her back on the road and test her out!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i've just had this flash up when I started the car after a week of it sitting there, shut it off and came back later and it had gone, going in for a service in 2 weeks anyway but if i were to go for a drive and it came on mid drive, can it damage anything if you just bring it home slowly? just the stop vehicle warning is all rather serious sounding etc? sounds like mine is accumulators too most likely

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
i've just had this flash up when I started the car after a week of it sitting there, shut it off and came back later and it had gone, going in for a service in 2 weeks anyway but if i were to go for a drive and it came on mid drive, can it damage anything if you just bring it home slowly? just the stop vehicle warning is all rather serious sounding etc? sounds like mine is accumulators too most likely
The accumulators when functioning increases/decreases roll stiffness. I drove mine for two months with an intermittent vehicle suspension warning displayed prior to replacement - didn’t have any problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The accumulators when functioning increases/decreases roll stiffness. I drove mine for two months with an intermittent vehicle suspension warning displayed prior to replacement - didn’t have any problems.
It's worrisome especially when intermittent. The only thing is when the warning pops up you can't use any of the vehicle's drive modes. What's the fun in driving the car in 'non-active' mode. Still waiting for an update on our car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I doubt it would pop up mid drive. I've come to notice these annoying warnings tend to pop up right after starting the car. Anything that pops up mid drive is probably "more serious."

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
It's worrisome especially when intermittent. The only thing is when the warning pops up you can't use any of the vehicle's drive modes. What's the fun in driving the car in 'non-active' mode. Still waiting for an update on our car.
Yes. I‘m not sure but an accumulator (small) leak maybe overcome by the pump that pressures the system - that may account for the intermittent behavior of the warning.
The noise from the hydraulic pressure pump was soft and intermittent but became more continuous over time as the leak worsened until eventually the pump was permanently running.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts