McLaren Life banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think they will play hardball in giving depo back esp if the car is built..........they need CASH reason for HIGH deposit amount ala ferrari.......i passed on the deposit when McLaren contacted me........just in case the car or company did not pan out........they even offered to put me further down the list.......again I passed, told them I wanted to see how it would compare with 458........plus the deposit was HIGH and I have a new 997tt (modded 700hp) to tie me over for awhile.......thank god my left brain won out
I poured in 40K USD already. No contract car not built but if I do legal, I think I can get it back. I just need to know their stance if I do get it back. I will then be blacklisted for sure ever.

·
Registered
192 Posts
well Tom Hartley Jnr is offering £50K over list for early car according to the Sunday Times so residuals good in the short term :D:D
Well i was hoping that residual is good due to demand >>> supply but I am not so sure anymore. For sure 458 is demand >>> supply and for sure spyder 458 too.

I truly hope you are right but you can ask for the World and reality may differ.

Too premature to ask for a premium and after all these presses saying Fezza is the choice, why would anyone even wanna pay above sticker for a dud?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Well i was hoping that residual is good due to demand >>> supply but I am not so sure anymore. For sure 458 is demand >>> supply and for sure spyder 458 too.

I truly hope you are right but you can ask for the World and reality may differ.

Too premature to ask for a premium and after all these presses saying Fezza is the choice, why would anyone even wanna pay above sticker for a dud?
Its no dud,the worst senario is its quicker than a 458 ,but not as engaging on the limit,but its still better than any lambo,aston,merc,porsche,audi,etc,
so if its this or a 458,take the one thats producing 4 time more

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I poured in 40K USD already. No contract car not built but if I do legal, I think I can get it back. I just need to know their stance if I do get it back. I will then be blacklisted for sure ever.
Probably........but they state they are a different super car company..........only time will tell...........old dealer mentality and business as usual bound to creep in;)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

The fifth gear review was just awful........one of the most negative for a super car I've ever seen.........u see reviews like that for compacts!........tiff needell likes McLaren (see f1 reviews)........looked into the camera and apologized.......at the end states 'engine not as good.....gearbox not as good.....handling not as good'.........that's about as BAD as it gets:(

·
Registered
192 Posts
The fifth gear review was just awful........one of the most negative for a super car I've ever seen.........u see reviews like that for compacts!........tiff needell likes McLaren (see f1 reviews)........looked into the camera and apologized.......at the end states 'engine not as good.....gearbox not as good.....handling not as good'.........that's about as BAD as it gets:(
Agree, totally the worst ever review done for the world's most expected SUPERCAR once touted as the successor.

In that sense, job poorly done and Ron's mission failure to come up with a masterpiece to set the company right. Maybe P12 then... then my deposit is in and I need to know what EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES are now. It clearly says "The deposit paid by a customer for purchase intent is ONLY refudnable under exceptional circumstances. A fully paid up purchase intent can only be cancelled once by the customer no less than 1 month before the sales contract is concluded. Upon cancellation of the purchase intent, the purchase deposit shall be refunded to the customer less a service charge of ..."

I need to worry. I should've waited for the review before paying up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Probably........but they state they are a different super car company..........only time will tell...........old dealer mentality and business as usual bound to creep in;)
Well all matters point to positives at first. Rumoured TG's best track times. I watched many many reviews from Autocar's roadtrip and Chris' Harris. Most were saying the car is in another league until last weekend. TG's review wasn't bad at all from Clarkson in Feb stockings and tights.

Our dealer got the car in December and it was one of the most reputable dealers in town. It is the dealer for Rolls Royce and now it is opening a new showroom next to RR with McLaren in a visible place. It's nice and all.

Just that I am debating if I should wait or cancel now. Some said just wait for the demo.

For me, my only concern is that it is priced >>> 458 with no CCB and less options. I also have to make an educated guess on RESIDUALS. Judging from Aston's track records, Brits car tank a lot. Audis tank like hell. Ferrari keeps price and 911 is normal. It is worrisome. If I get it I will keep it till the 458 replacement comes which is 4 years but not sure if there's any demand left for this car. It could be good could be bad.

There are still many pluses for this car. My allocation in 458 is in 2013 by then the car is heading towards end of cycle 10/11/12/13... pointless. I drive a California now and want a mid engine soon and even if allocation is in 13 or 12, the Mc is still to me 2 generations ahead of 458.

Only issue, the engine is a 3.8 V8 Twin Turbo and it will bark but never roars like the 458's engine, hence, the lack of emotions. It doesn't have flair too.

However, my friend living in London says in Germany, all reviews prefer MP4 over 458. That speaks much about market diff due to cultures. It also affects residual values. Used 458 in Germany has discount and Used 458 in US 1000 miles would still be above list. Each market is diff. Audi tanks in Asia a lot.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well all matters point to positives at first. Rumoured TG's best track times. I watched many many reviews from Autocar's roadtrip and Chris' Harris. Most were saying the car is in another league until last weekend. TG's review wasn't bad at all from Clarkson in Feb stockings and tights.

Our dealer got the car in December and it was one of the most reputable dealers in town. It is the dealer for Rolls Royce and now it is opening a new showroom next to RR with McLaren in a visible place. It's nice and all.

Just that I am debating if I should wait or cancel now. Some said just wait for the demo.

For me, my only concern is that it is priced >>> 458 with no CCB and less options. I also have to make an educated guess on RESIDUALS. Judging from Aston's track records, Brits car tank a lot. Audis tank like hell. Ferrari keeps price and 911 is normal. It is worrisome. If I get it I will keep it till the 458 replacement comes which is 4 years but not sure if there's any demand left for this car. It could be good could be bad.

There are still many pluses for this car. My allocation in 458 is in 2013 by then the car is heading towards end of cycle 10/11/12/13... pointless. I drive a California now and want a mid engine soon and even if allocation is in 13 or 12, the Mc is still to me 2 generations ahead of 458.

Only issue, the engine is a 3.8 V8 Twin Turbo and it will bark but never roars like the 458's engine, hence, the lack of emotions. It doesn't have flair too.

However, my friend living in London says in Germany, all reviews prefer MP4 over 458. That speaks much about market diff due to cultures. It also affects residual values. Used 458 in Germany has discount and Used 458 in US 1000 miles would still be above list. Each market is diff. Audi tanks in Asia a lot.
McLaren uses new technology like brake steer and the way the car was driven in the fifth gear show,it is totally against the concept of brake steer and the results speak for itself. You don't see F1 or other race car drivers go around the track the way they do in fifth gear. These drivers will know how to get the best track times with the technology from McLaren. One should expect cars from McLaren to be a bit clinical, that's their DNA. I think the PR dept of McLaren have been a bit naive and inexperience in dealing with the motoring press and it has resulted in poor reviews. It's also unfair and without evidence, no one should accuse Ferrari of providing "ringers".

I have a 458 and it's a great car, the best i have driven to date and i am on order for a McLaren and have no plans to cancel my order. I am sure it will be a great experience and look forward to it. If you are so concern and so influence by what you read in the British press, go cancel your order. No one can forecast the residual of a McLaren, if you are that worried, go buy a 458.

·
Registered
192 Posts
McLaren uses new technology like brake steer and the way the car was driven in the fifth gear show,it is totally against the concept of brake steer and the results speak for itself. You don't see F1 or other race car drivers go around the track the way they do in fifth gear. These drivers will know how to get the best track times with the technology from McLaren. One should expect cars from McLaren to be a bit clinical, that's their DNA. I think the PR dept of McLaren have been a bit naive and inexperience in dealing with the motoring press and it has resulted in poor reviews. It's also unfair and without evidence, no one should accuse Ferrari of providing "ringers".

I have a 458 and it's a great car, the best i have driven to date and i am on order for a McLaren and have no plans to cancel my order. I am sure it will be a great experience and look forward to it. If you are so concern and so influence by what you read in the British press, go cancel your order. No one can forecast the residual of a McLaren, if you are that worried, go buy a 458.
Agree. I wish I have the means to own both but I can only pick one of the two and residuals and money is an object to me. Hard earned and still moving up the corporate ladder while still want to own something fun. Over here, the 458 will take me into Q1 2013 same as a McLaren and frankly speaking, I'd take McLaren just for the experience. Part of it is the adventure. I feel being treated as part of the whole process instead of simply a customer being sold an option list. At least I was asked to give inputs on what country specific items would be needed. I feel like I am taking part in the history of a startup company. It's a bit courage, fun as well as risks.

Regarding British press, headlines such as McLaren's worst nightmare is a concern not only to me but to certainly a majority of buyers, interested buyers and Ron Dennis, McLaren automotive and all. I would be surprised if anyone buying the car is not concerned one bit or influenced in some ways by such press. It makes you think more is what I think. I could be wrong.

When I called the dealer, he expected my questions on press and said I wasn't the first one. Indeed, many many mentioned. Hence, over here, quite a number of customers are concerned and swayed. I am glad you have no issue which is very good news to you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts