McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,182 Posts
How tall are you, and for which car and is the car coupe or spider. If for the 720, IMO, standard seats with memory. The controls on adjustments are apparently still poo, but after you mess with it, the ability to get it 'just right' lock it in memory, and recall it perfectly over and over, is worth the weight. I suspect I will be in the minority view here.

That said, the best thing you can do is go to a dealer and ask to sit in both. Nothing beats a subjective first hand butt test. Go with that over all else IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zombie. This is for a 720. I am 5 feet 10, 160 lb, sat in both Race (touring) and Standard seats at the dealer and I like BOTH.

The Standard seat has more cushion and is more comfortable.

The Race seat has less cushion, provides better support, you feel fast just by sitting in the seat, is also comfortable.

I am leaning towards the Race seat and just curious why not more people opt for the Race seat.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,182 Posts
Thanks Zombie. This is for a 720. I am 5 feet 10, 160 lb, sat in both Race (touring) and Standard seats at the dealer and I like BOTH.

The Standard seat has more cushion and is more comfortable.

The Race seat has less cushion, provides better support, you feel fast just by sitting in the seat, is also comfortable.

I am leaning towards the Race seat and just curious why not more people opt for the Race seat.
I'd go with what you're leaning towards. Again, nothing replaces your own subjective experience for such things. The only other variable I would throw in (off the top of my head) is do you plan on doing an long haul drives in it? Real GT like road trips etc. If so, then I suspect you'll appreciate the standard seats on those trips.

Oh one other variable is would you have another different sized person regularly driving the car. Then the memory becomes even more significant going back and forth.

But if those would be relatively rare or non-existent circumstances, it's not a factor in the calculus.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Since you fit the race seat, then imo that's the one you absolutely should go for. You sit a good bit lower in the car and have a far better feel for what the car is doing through the seat.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Electric sport seats for me since I'm not expecting any significant track use. Plus I didn't find the race seats particularly comfortable at 6'2" and 195 lbs, and I will likely take the car on a few 4-5 hour trips to Orange County and Las Vegas.

I also wanted the Luxury spec for Bridge of Weir leather, rather than alcantara. Race seats are an expensive option in that configuration since the price includes the electric sport seats. On a base or Performance spec car, the race seats make more sense if you find them adequately comfortable.

·
Owner
526 Posts
I have the race seats and find them more than comfortable on trips as well as the track. Just sitting in them makes the car and every drive feel special.

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
160 Posts
They both have their advantages/disadvantages. I find the race seats quite comfortable and they look great. However, harder to get in and depending on your climate would miss the heat function. Don't even try to get something out of a pants pocket once your in! Mine will never be a DD/errand car so happy to go buckets but if DD probably not. Quite like them in my 3RS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also worth remembering that whatever seats you decide on they come in 2 sizes. Your frame would probably suit standard/ regular

·
Registered
356 Posts
Standard seats are aweful. The luxury seats are so pathetically bolstered you can sit sideways in them. They are the same as my gf's VW, flat and lame. The adjustment pad is aweful also. My turbo macan has more supportive and better seats. I wouldn't buy a mac without P1 as in my track pack or sennas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own the bucket seats touring size. They are super comfortable for my frame despite the lack of cushioning and can't imagine standards seats if driven aggressively around corners. Getting in and out does require some acrobatics and for long term wear, I'm not sure how well they will hold up as they will constantly get rubbed on the door side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts