McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
owner
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm considering a jump to a mp4 coupe from a v10 r8 spyder 6mt. Has anyone done this?
I have a exhaust on the r8 and find it to be perfect. A great car to drive at slow speeds, due to the wonderful sounds. I know the Mac is at another level.

Is the Mac a car that is entertaining at all speeds? I worry that it is boring at speeds below the limit. And even though I live in a rural area, I do find myself cruising more than driving all out.

I drive my r8 year round in all weather, which is another reason it has become my favorite.

Any input is appreciated. Great forum.

Jack

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hi Lumber. I'll let others chime in with there thoughts as we have several members that had/have R8s.

My perspective is that the car is super comfortable and tame to putter around in. I haven't driven the R8 (but love the car, its gorgeous) so I don't have a basis.

But the Ferrari 458 has a lot more "drama" at low speed than the 12C. The 12C spanks it performance wise, but if you want to feel like you're going fast when you're not going fast, a car like the 458 offers more sound and fury. However, when you push the 12C and the 458, for me it's not even close. The 12C is an absolute terrorist.

Best thing, is of course, to take a test drive. And a really good one, where you get to putter around a bit, but also hit the gas and some turns really hard. All of these cars, really need to be experienced, as preferences are very subjective.

I haven't yet driven the Mac at winter time, but would be shocked if the R8 were not significantly better in inclement weather with it's all wheel drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have gone from v10 R8 to 12C two months ago, though I went from a R8 Coupe to 12C Spider!

The R8 was mainly my DD and I still have it, I don't think the 12C will be my DD (though it could be).

12C is great, but truthfully if you are not going to use the extra power and handling while cruising I find the R8 to be a more relaxing car to drive with enough grunt and handling for most everyday driving. Also the extra attention it gets, and problems (with the doors) when parking in narrow spaces are a bit of a hassle on the 12C. The poor performance of the radio is a big deterrent on a long daily drive.

I have ended up using the 12C for special drives and keeping the Audi for the rest of the time.

If you are able to keep both, its a great combination, if I could only choose one it would be the R8.

Sorry to sound a bit negative about the 12C as I do love it, but the Audi is a great civilised car (my 3rd).

Dave H

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
The R8 V10 coupe was my previous car to the 12c and I really liked it. Thought very long and hard about exchanging it at the time as the R8 was everything a sports car should be, great engine, nice open gate manual and mag ride suspension on the car was just brilliant. However almost a year one, there are absolutely no regrets. The 12c driving dynamics are so far ahead of the R8 it's almost untrue IMO, when I drove back home in the R8, the car felt oddly heavy and slow and I pretty much knew I had to get the 12c. If the R8 could shed 150kg it would be utterly brilliant but until then, there is no contest as a car to enjoy driving with the 12c IMO.

However, as a daily driver, the 4wd does give the R8 a considerable advantage and also I would agree with the post above that the 12c gets a lot more attention than the R8 unfortunately which I do wish the car got less of... Would say the best thing is get a test drive and I would be rather surprised if you didn't make the change...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another R8 converter here. Have had the Mac for a few weeks now. I loved my R8, it is a great car but MP4 is just an amazing car to drive. Pure fun. We will see how it does in the long run as DD....keeping my fingers crossed.

Now if they could just do something about Iris............

·
owner
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to have to get behind the wheel. I'm hoping a test drive will reveal the Macs true colors...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts