McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horrible news.
34 year old Aston Martin driver Allan Simonsen was killed at Le Mans today in what looked like a really bad accident at Tertre Rouge.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Saw it happen,he was still talking at the scene apparently,shows that the body can only take so much,rest in peace .

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Talk of him being conscious at the scene of the crash are untrue, he was extracted from the car and rushed to hospital where he unfortunately passed away. RIP to a real talent in a GT car and a absolutely wonderful man.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Really sad news and a shock to everyone, it took a long time for the news to filter through at the circuit!
Many suspected it to be more serious than first suggested by the lack of coverage and camera footage to the screens, although Radio Lemans said when he was taken out of the car he was conscious.
The fact the door came away was maybe a heads up.
Looking at some of the footage it shows it was just such a simple crash, that it's hard to believe it took his life.:( three car span on almost the same spot only moments before!
Some stunning tributes to him over the race, both from AM racing and the fans - topped of by both the ACO and the team on the podium.
To start the podium with a dedication from the ACO was wonderful as was the flag flown at half mast over the grandstand throughout the race.

We drove the circuit on the way home and the floral tributes and flags were hanging over the new Armco.

RIP

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Really sad news and a shock to everyone, it took a long time for the news to filter through at the circuit!
Many suspected it to be more serious than first suggested by the lack of coverage and camera footage to the screens, although Radio Lemans said when he was taken out of the car he was conscious.
The fact the door came away was maybe a heads up.
Looking at some of the footage it shows it was just such a simple crash, that it's hard to believe it took his life.:( three car span on almost the same spot only moments before!
Some stunning tributes to him over the race, both from AM racing and the fans - topped of by both the ACO and the team on the podium.
To start the podium with a dedication from the ACO was wonderful as was the flag flown at half mast over the grandstand throughout the race.

We drove the circuit on the way home and the floral tributes and flags were hanging over the new Armco.

RIP
Not sure if its true yet,but there were rumours that the ARMCO was up against a tree where he hit,a total no no in motorsport,but with miles of Armco to fit ??

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yes, if you saw the replay they showed of the crews repairing the armco where the car struck there is a tree with damage.

And I'm sorry but for the love of god it's LE MANS not lemans!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I've been thinking about the incident every day. :( Beyond the regret, one other aspect of motorsport that I've never been able to reconcile internally is the 'show must go on' mentality. I understand the finances involved, the fact that it happened so early in a 24hr event, the collective drivers' acceptance of the inherent risks and even the family's wishes that Aston continue and try to win in his honour. But another part of me wishes they had stopped the race. Despite all the tributes, I can't help but feel that a human life was trivialized by what was, at the end of the day, still only a sporting event. R.I.P.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
good point well put as always 6th.... its extremely hard either way... some would say he passed doing what he loved and wouldn't want to spoil the race for everyone, the other side is as you say a life is trivialised...

I suspect all but a very few minority in the crowd would have understood have the race been halted as a result...

impossible circumstances to resolve either way I think

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I've been thinking about the incident every day. :( Beyond the regret, one other aspect of motorsport that I've never been able to reconcile internally is the 'show must go on' mentality. I understand the finances involved, the fact that it happened so early in a 24hr event, the collective drivers' acceptance of the inherent risks and even the family's wishes that Aston continue and try to win in his honour. But another part of me wishes they had stopped the race. Despite all the tributes, I can't help but feel that a human life was trivialized by what was, at the end of the day, still only a sporting event. R.I.P.
Thank goodness for Jackie Stewart ,and to think of all the obstacles that were put in his way,a true gentleman and pioneer !

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
good point well put as always 6th.... its extremely hard either way... some would say he passed doing what he loved and wouldn't want to spoil the race for everyone, the other side is as you say a life is trivialised...

I suspect all but a very few minority in the crowd would have understood have the race been halted as a result...

impossible circumstances to resolve either way I think
I think you are right, Mikey. An impossible situation. In no way do I feel that anybody took the tragedy lightly.

Thank goodness for Jackie Stewart ,and to think of all the obstacles that were put in his way,a true gentleman and pioneer !
So true andy but still there are too many fatalities. Wheldon in 2011, now both Leffler and Simonsen from the top flights this year, as well as at least one amateur sprint car driver over here named Josh Burton. Plus, we can't forget the circuit marshall at the Montreal GP. Impossible to eradicate completely, I realize, but if the tree behind the Armco was a factor, then that is all the more unfortunate that it perhaps could have been avoided quite easily with some forethought. :(

·
Registered
964 Posts
Maybe worth remembering that the Le Mans circuit isn't entirely on a race track, much of it- including the section where this happened is on public roads.
I'd hazard a guess to say that part of the circuits appeal is the fact it is on public roads is part of it's appeal to the drivers and fans. Similar situation to the IOM TT
The trees involved are one of the features of Tetre rouge - so much that I think we'd all know the area just from a single picture. However I see that finger are being pointed regarding the trees already.
I don't know if people have seen the other video showing the other cars that span in the same area only moments before the incident? so much so that he may have been concentrating on missing that as well as the driving his own car! certainly something going on and sadly a combination of events caused the sad ending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVpzKqCLBE

Whilst we remembering the skills of these driver, lest not forget that Wolf Silvester also died on Saturday at the Nurburgring :(:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts