McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my new mclaren mp4 12c a few months back. traded in my 3.8rs for it. the mac is 2012 with the 2013 updates. the rs had 42000km on it when traded in and a bazillion hours on the track. it proved reliable apart from the lsd which disintegrated in the first 6000km. it was replaced with the guard unit which has been excellent. apart from brake/engine/tranny fluids the only other maintenance that cost serious money was brake pads and tires. the ceramics after many a track day look dark but still bite like new. i always changed by pads at 40%. the suspension had most of the rubber removed , bk harness bar was installed and a europipe race exhaust. the pressure plate was letting go prior to trading it in.
so far, the mac has 8 track days on it. the engine and tranny appear solid and havent overheated yet (i expected to overheat the car quickly). the brakes are good (steel) but the stopping power isnt as good as the rs. the car feels flat and confidence inspiring and steering feel is very good - not as good as the rs but miles better than the over assisted **** in the 458. the power is stupid. speed builds like nothing ive experienced in any other stock car i've owned (including a 997 gt2/turbo s/viper acr/z06). it simply decimates the straights and gobbles up the corners. if braking could be improved a touch it would be brilliant. the factory p-zero corsa's are absolute crap and when new are marginally better than the regular tires. they overheat way too quick so i switched out to a set of trofeo's. the mac is about 1-1.25 seconds quicker than the rs on the same tires at a local tight twisty track.

the bad: lots of stupid little things that mac hasnt got perfect. the paint behind the door windows by the intake is peeling - apparently lots of the cars have this problem. car sounds too quiet - even with the race cats (without the factory sport exhaust). iris (the navi and sound) is garbage, navi sucks and the sound system is no better than the regular porsche speakers/system. one of the cv joint/shafts was leaking as was replaced. the rubber weather seals look like they were installed by drunk children. the locking alarm has a mind of its own - switches between making a beeping noise and silence when locking the car randomly. car was leaking oil in the first few km's and a seal was replaced. aside from the above (all looked after under warrantee) the car has been brilliant. its more comfortable than the rs , but switches to a very firm ride when needed. its faster on the track albeit not as involving and it appears (at least so far) to reliable in terms of major components.

thanks
Niteal

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review... I also appreciate how impartial you seem about it, so you're not masking imperfections because you love it so much. This is the kind of stuff I need to be aware of so I'm not disappointed when little things go wrong on my future 12C spider.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Great review,and impressive that you can compare a track car with the 12c and even with the teething troubles it comes out well

·
Registered
632 Posts
Saw and commented on your write-up on Rennlist. I echo my sentiments here that this was a well written review.

·
Registered
560 Posts
excellent, i have a couple thousand miles and havent had 90% of those issues. i do agree with the brakes issue especially for me comparing to my CGT.
i am running the michelin super sports, how do you like the trofeos on the track?

·
Registered
632 Posts
excellent, i have a couple thousand miles and havent had 90% of those issues. i do agree with the brakes issue especially for me comparing to my CGT.
i am running the michelin super sports, how do you like the trofeos on the track?
What sizes MSS tires are you running on yours? When it's time to replace my PZeros I want to switch to MSS. I seem to recall seeing a thread talking about where and how to source those tires for our cars. Any info?

·
Registered
560 Posts
im running Cor 1 piece forged wheels in 20" all the way around with a 325 on rear and 245 up front.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the kind words.
MAC1 - the trofeos are the best tires for the stock rim sizes on the track. i will likely be switching to 19's all round to run hoosier r6's. dont bother with the corsa's if you're serious about going anything more than 7/10ths. the biggest issue is negative camber. the stock suspension wont give much more than -2.2 at the front. my guys have used camber shims to extract -3.0 at the front and -2.5 at the back. this is strictly to even out the tire wear.

·
Registered
560 Posts
thank you. do you think im better off with the trofeo over the michelin SS tire for the mac? (80% street and 20% track days)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks Mac for the clarification. I remember someone had mentioned sourcing these MSS for this car. I'll have to look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you. do you think im better off with the trofeo over the michelin SS tire for the mac? (80% street and 20% track days)
SS are fine but it all depends on your driving style and experience. if you havent used r-compound style tires before then ss should be more than adequate. its all a compromise, faster the tire the quicker it wears and the worse its wet grip.

·
Registered
560 Posts
SS are fine but it all depends on your driving style and experience. if you havent used r-compound style tires before then ss should be more than adequate. its all a compromise, faster the tire the quicker it wears and the worse its wet grip.
give and take lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts