McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums, hopefully one day I can join as a McLaren owner. What I have though is a question I think only you guys can help me answer.

Been working on an app about car lights over the last 2 years, and through my research online the MP4-12C low-beam taillight is one row of LED, which glows brighter when the brakes are depressed....

Then yesterday a friend came by with the new Spider, which is two rows of LEDs on the rear.

Thinking I might have made a mistake in my database, I spent more time doing image searches and found coupes that had 2 rows of LED tail lights illuminated.

Can someone shed some light (no pun intended) on the MP4-12C tail lights? Is there a setting for 1 row or 2 rows? is it a country specific configuration? Are spiders always 2 rows?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
This is funny, but I don't know. I'm always driving the car and haven't seen it. If someone else doesnt chime in, i'll hit the hazards and take a look tomorrow.

Interesting app? Mind telling a little more about it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@noone1

Yes both the coupe and spider has 2 rows of LEDs, but in the spider once you turn on the low beams, both rows are illuminated. All press photos show that both rows are illuminated.

For the coupe, only the bottom row is lit. But I've seen a few pictures of both rows lit.

Kind of silly, I know, but I want to get it right.

@jkheit

The app is a few weeks away, I can PM you more info when I get closer. I'm a newbie at the forums, don't want to overstep my bounds.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I've never noticed either, will make sure I have a look next time

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I've never noticed either, will make sure I have a look next time
It kept me up all night running round to check!!! I just missed it everytime,these dihedral doors are not what they are cracked up to be !!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I find the same with indicators, one minute there working and then they're not.. blummin electrics!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
The top row are for turn indicators and hazard lights.
Orange lit possibly for the right side drive cars and Red lit possibly for the left side drive (US markets)

The second row are the tail lamps as well as the brake lights that comes only Red lit.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Orange lit possibly for the right side drive cars and Red lit possibly for the left side drive (US markets)

The second row are the tail lamps as well as the brake lights that comes only Red lit.
Now that's just stating the obvious RC :D I knew we would get to it sooner or latter!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Interesting difference with the colors.

If I just turn on the low beams, do both rows light up? In my friend's Spider, both rows were illuminated red. For coupes, I've seen either 1 row lit or both rows lit in pictures.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think the standard EURO spec is for only the second row to be lit when the low beam light is ON.

Perhaps the US transportation law for US Spec requires both rows to be lit in RED for both low beam and braking. Both row of lights on the respective side would just blink in RED intermittently if the TURN indicators are toggled.

I am just guessing, hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only way to find this out for sure is to buy a 458. ;)
Buy a 458? or do you mean I need both a Euro-spec and US-spec MP4-12C?

Can someone take a look next time you fire up your MP4-12C, turn on the low beams and let me know if you have 2 rows of taillights illuminated, or just one row.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Buy a 458? or do you mean I need both a Euro-spec and US-spec MP4-12C?

Can someone take a look next time you fire up your MP4-12C, turn on the low beams and let me know if you have 2 rows of taillights illuminated, or just one row.
Yeah, but I guess it would be cheaper and quicker to just go over to FerrariChat.com and ask this question in the 458 section. They should be able to tell you.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Gulf spec coupe ... only the bottom row light up as red brakelights/taillights. The upper row are orange indicators/hazards as has been stated earlier.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Those light regs are silly.

I like the European side marker lights better. Has anyone in the states ever replaced the red ones for the clear ones? I think the clear ones look much better on an MO car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts