McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1 year old 570S with 5K miles on it from a dealer. I just found out (8 months later) that the car had a gearbox replaced under warranty at 3.8K miles. Would you expect the dealer to disclose this to you prior to purchase? Is there anything I should/can do about it now? Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I bought a 1 year old 570S with 5K miles on it from a dealer. I just found out (8 months later) that the car had a gearbox replaced under warranty at 3.8K miles. Would you expect the dealer to disclose this to you prior to purchase? Is there anything I should/can do about it now? Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.
I don't expect dealer to voluntarily disclose it. I expect it being part of the buyer's diligence in reviewing the service record. Now, if all service records except the gearbox replacement (intentionally withholding it) were provided, then I will be upset and probably raise hell. Is this with LI sports cars?

Btw, are you up for a drive sometime? Looks to be warming up (great day today except for the snow overnight!)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Covered under warranty and warranty is still in place... Don't see any problem with it unless you asked the questions and it wasn't disclosed.

On a separate topic; many things aren't reported on carfax...especially if it isn't done at the dealer; ie., brake pads, rotors, tires, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked the dealer for all service records when buying the car and was told that as a company policy they do NOT provide such information (not Long Island Sports Cars). I only specifically asked about accidents/body work/repaints and was told "no". I then called their service department and spoke to a service manager. He confirmed the company policy but told me orally that the car had a few "common McLaren issues" that were all sorted out under warranty. I had no issues with the transmission and would've bought the car anyway. However, the experience left a sour taste in my mouth, so I wanted to see what others have to say.

Gum12345 -- I've been driving every day except for the 2 snow days this week! PM me if you have time to get together this weekend

·
Registered
622 Posts
I asked the dealer for all service records when buying the car and was told that as a company policy they do NOT provide such information (not Long Island Sports Cars). I only specifically asked about accidents/body work/repaints and was told "no". I then called their service department and spoke to a service manager. He confirmed the company policy but told me orally that the car had a few "common McLaren issues" that were all sorted out under warranty. I had no issues with the transmission and would've bought the car anyway. However, the experience left a sour taste in my mouth, so I wanted to see what others have to say.

Gum12345 -- I've been driving every day except for the 2 snow days this week! PM me if you have time to get together this weekend
This weekend will be impossible. Wife is out of town and I am dealing with my two kids. Will try u next weekend if weather is good.

Re: what's your said about dealer willing to disclose, I went through the same thing when buying from non mcl dealers where the dealers who serviced the cars won't say much (some willing to say a little more than the other). I did heavily discount price I was willing to pay for mclarens I don't get full service record (ended up not relevant since I bought a new car) when the cars were being sold by non mcl dealers. All mcl dealers I dealt with did provide me with full service records (assuming they didn't withhold a few reports) for preowned cars they were selling. I also cross checked with local mcl service Dept to confirm what they saw in the mcl central system is consistent with what I read / was told by the out of state dealer. I think at this point, you don't have much of any recourse given the issue was fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts