McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was at the track yesterday. Half of it in rain. Way too much fun.

Had a scary moment where I lost the tail at around 105. Counter steered, it caught to hard and had to catch it counter steering on the other side. Sliding off into the grass, held on without hitting the side wall, and drove off with my pants fuller than they were before. Last run of the day, and much like skiing, little mentally fatigued, and made a big mistake pushing too much, and brain lapse letting off at the apex. Anyway, bit of a life lesson in there.

But I've digressed already. Doing the pre/post checks, you get to see the Pzero wear. So here was my first half track day wear, and my second full track day wear. In between, I drove the car about 2000 miles.

So you can expect to lose about a 1mm per track day event. And although there is a lot more variation at the different parts of the tire, you lose about 1mm per 2000miles of normal driving.

So under normal conditions, they should be good for 15k miles or so. And maybe 6 track days?

I wonder how the corsas do.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I see your point John,but my first set of rears lasted 5k,the next set 5k and this last set 7k,admittedly ive only done 1 track event,but will rectify that this coming season,mainly because I only feel comfortable at McLaren only events.My fronts have lasted 10k though :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy, sounds like the symptom of a very heavy right foot. :)

But you're right, I should have added, your mileage may vary (YMMV). I'm seemingly having even wear on all four tires. But at this rate, I suspect I'll be lucky to get to 7k.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy, sounds like the symptom of a very heavy right foot. :)

But you're right, I should have added, your mileage may vary (YMMV). I'm seemingly having even wear on all four tires. But at this rate, I suspect I'll be lucky to get to 7k.
Sad to say John,my right foot is the heaviest part of my body !:eek:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I changed mine after about 6k and 1 track day at Spa. But I pretty much hammered the car that day, since it was my first time so lets say, I did not really take corners that well at first ;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
McDc, it might have helped that it rained half the day? I'm not sure. The rain probably is easier on the tires, but at the same time, you get more plow skating around with the car.

I definitely went for it. Last lap, I had fill-your-pants 105mph drift that almost landed me against a wall. On the other hand, I stink, so you're probably right.

On another note, does anyone know off hand, when you're supposed to replace the tires? When you get to less than 3mm of tread?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Sure the rain half of the day helped a lot as you must be way slower under that kind of conditions. The tires are shredded under dry conditions when they start to overheat which happens after a few hard laps, even with correct tire pressure. Corsas are a bit more resistent but not much.

McLaren should really provide us with a true semi slick like MPSC2 or Trofeo R. Wishful thinking I know as they seem to be glued to Pirelli.

Regarding replacement of tires, 1.6mm I think is where the indicator bars begin. So beside worse behaviour in wet conditions, there is no need for early replacement.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
491 Posts
Speaking of Trofeo Rs....my dealer has already installed Trofeo Rs on other customer's cars. They come in the 12C size, but according to my dealer, they need to modify the rear diffuser due to the amount of grip they generate and it would rub against the inside rear diffuser (despite the fact that they come in 305/30/20, which is the right size).

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks McDc

I really reallllly wish they'd update the software to let us put on michelins. That simple upgrade totally improved the Carrera GT, the Corvette Stingray, and the Ferrari 458 Speciale. Their deal with Pirelli is totally hampering the car. I'm fine if the Pzeros are the default, but at least let us update the tires ourselves.

·
Registered
404 Posts
+1 on the Michelins. Single best upgrade for Ferraris; would be fabulous for the 12c.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Thanks McDc

I really reallllly wish they'd update the software to let us put on michelins. That simple upgrade totally improved the Carrera GT, the Corvette Stingray, and the Ferrari 458 Speciale. Their deal with Pirelli is totally hampering the car. I'm fine if the Pzeros are the default, but at least let us update the tires ourselves.
Yeah, the MPSC 2 would be a dream. And it is about to get produced in 12C sizes next year already or the year after the latest.

However, I don't think the 12C does benefit from such a tire as much as other cars do due to it's nature. It's a very safe setup so to say. If you don't start messing around with camber, toe-in and lower ride height, probably even software tweaking, you will never get the most out of those tires, the car will still understeer quite a bit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
McDc, I suspect if they just do a software setting for the Michelins, without anything more, that would still improve traction greatly, even if it doesn't wring out the maximum capability, no?

·
Registered
239 Posts
With full tread tires, I chunk them in one hard session. They remain serviceable, sort of, but to track the car with any pace, you really need a dedicated set of wheels and tires, and while you are at it I'd try to go -1 in diameter to get a better tire selection. I am pretty sure much smaller wheels would fit the iron brakes and I'd see about a fitment from CCW.

I know I am in the tiny lunatic minority, but 20" wheels are stupid poseur crap. I'd really try to put 18s on the car if I wanted to track it a lot. A whole new world of real race tires opens up at that point.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've logged over 9k miles over nearly two years of ownership, including 3 track days, and I am still on the factory rubber with some tread life yet to go. My GT-R seems to eat through the OEM Dunlap SP Sport Maxx DSSTs much faster, even without tracking. Of course, after spinning my Lotus into the pit wall at NJMP a couple of years ago, and not having track day insurance, I am careful never to be over 85-90% of what I think is the limit of my ability on the track, which I am sure is far less still of what the car is capable, so I'm probably a little easier on the tires on the track than some of you might be. (I'm determined to keep the 12C shiny side up.) Perhaps I'll regain the balls to get closer to the limit when the Alfa arrives.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts