McLaren Life banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anyone experienced this or is something wrong here?

I had Michelin Sport cup 2s all around with a year on them and some track days. You could say they’re at the later half of their lives.

Swapped the rear for Toyo R888R (315/30R20) and the car is now swaying left and right violently at high speeds and even more so unfer high braking. Handling is also shit now and the rear feels like it takes 5 seconds to catch up whenever I turn. Is this all normal or am I doing something wrong here?

I’ve read that tires with less tread respond faster but I didn’t expect all this. Grip is noticeably better though so there’s that at least.
Your car is fine!!!

Your tire pressure is TO HIGH

Anything over 32psi (HOT) will make it feel like your driving a boat lol.

Ideal temp for R888 is 24-31 (hot)

Car will feel extremely stable (no sway) and grip phenomenal!

Lower tire pressure! And hang on!

Ideally:

25 cold = when hot = 28
28 cold = when hot = 31

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Your car is fine!!!

Your tire pressure is TO HIGH

Anything over 32psi (HOT) will make it feel like your driving a boat lol.

Ideal temp for R888 is 24-31 (hot)

Car will feel extremely stable (no sway) and grip phenomenal!

Lower tire pressure! And hang on!

Ideally:

25 cold = when hot = 28
28 cold = when hot = 31

I lowered it by 2 (so 29psi cold) and it did improve, but still way more wobbly than I’d like. I’ll try lowering it even more as you said but I think I’m going to take them off either way, since I’ve ordered front tires and I want the rears to still be fresh when the fronts arrive.
Thanks you though!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have over 15k lies between my 570/720
And combo I use and many friends of mine with same cars are

• remove all Pirelli tires (all 4)
  • Michilen super sport upfronts PS4s (35psi hot)
  • R888R in the tears (25psi Hot) = your welcome GRIP city! Will get annoying tire pressure thing but worth it. Or 28psi hot and you will grip excellent! And no tire pressure alarm code.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have over 15k lies between my 570/720
And combo I use and many friends of mine with same cars are

• remove all Pirelli tires (all 4)
  • Michilen super sport upfronts PS4s (35psi hot)
  • R888R in the tears (25psi Hot) = your welcome GRIP city! Will get annoying tire pressure thing but worth it. Or 28psi hot and you will grip excellent! And no tire pressure alarm code.

Yeah that pressure thing is annoying AF. Worst thing is that it scales up with tire temperature so it never goes away. I hate that it comes on even on the track when you need to lower the pressure for better grip and it actually blocks the track map of if you have the screen tucked in it blocks the RPMs entirely!

In my Porsche GT3 you can set the track tire pressure to whatever you want and simply enable that when you’re there. Can’t believe Mclaren didn’t think of such a simple thing when they’re car is so focused on being raced.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yea.. such a simple annoying thing.. grinds my gears at times.

Also, I always leave screen up, i can’t drive with it down... for that exact reason! Lol
Once you get used to it; the extra grip fat outweighs the annoying beep lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stupid answer. Already broke them in and heat cycled them and tried a couple of air pressures to make sure it’s not any of that before asking.
The break in for R888R is way more than other tires. I agree with keeping same tires front and rear. But it took me one track day and 2000 miles to actually break it in. It used to squirm and screech under braking on the track and I was using 26 hot. This was on a 570S. You can fix this by shaving the tire, but you lose a lot of tread. On my second track day on the same tires, it was amazing. I could put the brake to the floor and it would not skirmish. So I think you should give the molding compound more time to release.

Also, I got the tires heatcycled from tire rack and it still took a long time to really break them in. However from drag racing, it seems fine without wearing the tread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been there done that! What Thorney said -- twice! I decided I would put R888Rs on the rear and leave my MPSC2s on the front just do a 1/4 mile event and then switch my rears back to the MPSC2s. This is fine for straight line drags but very bad when you mix different tire compounds from the front and rear especially when driving on the road or track. The sticky R888Rs felt like the rear tires were driving the front of the car. I loved the R888Rs so much that I ordered the matching tires for the front and problem solved. It drives perfect. Having R888Rs front and back is amazing! I'm running Pirelli Trofeo R tires now and they are AWESOME.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Been there done that! What Thorney said -- twice! I decided I would put R888Rs on the rear and leave my MPSC2s on the front just do a 1/4 mile event and then switch my rears back to the MPSC2s. This is fine for straight line drags but very bad when you mix different tire compounds from the front and rear especially when driving on the road or track. The sticky R888Rs felt like the rear tires were driving the front of the car. I loved the R888Rs so much that I ordered the matching tires for the front and problem solved. It drives perfect. Having R888Rs front and back is amazing! I'm running Pirelli Trofeo R tires now and they are AWESOME.
Yeah I went on extended drives and lowered the pressure and it dampened the problem but it’s still there, and I honestly hate driving the car now as it is. I ordered R8Rs for the front and will be putting the old SC2’s back on until those arrive and see then.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cheers mate and Dittos! I agree, the car felt unsafe and it was not fun to drive until after I put the R888Rs on the front and then it felt perfect. You will be extremely happy with the grip of the R888Rs once you have them front and back. I'm thinking about replacing my Trofeo Rs with a set of R888Rs once they are end of life. :)

·
Vendor
185 Posts
What sizes you running and in what cars? Going to try them on the GT4R and then maybe the 720 as well.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was running them on my 12C, as you know the 12C stock tires are 305/30 ZR 20 rear tires and 235/35 ZR 19 front. When I had the 12C I was running R888Rs 315/30-R20 and 235/35-R19s. I need your help since I eventually want to run R888Rs on my Sport Series 600LT so I'm thinking I will need Toyo R888R tires 245/35/19 and 305/35/20 which fit the stock rims. Thoughts? I also heard McLaren (not sure if its the factory or extended warranty people or both) can void your warranty since the R888Rs don't meet the speed rating requirements. :(

·
Vendor
185 Posts
I was running them on my 12C, as you know the 12C stock tires are 305/30 ZR 20 rear tires and 235/35 ZR 19 front. When I had the 12C I was running R888Rs 315/30-R20 and 235/35-R19s. I need your help since I eventually want to run R888Rs on my Sport Series 600LT so I'm thinking I will need Toyo R888R tires 245/35/19 and 305/35/20 which fit the stock rims. Thoughts? I also heard McLaren (not sure if its the factory or extended warranty people or both) can void your warranty since the R888Rs don't meet the speed rating requirements. :(
We had gearbox faults on the 12c when we ran them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks! Good to know. I have 2k miles on my 600LT of street driving on the Trofeo Rs (no track days yet). I'm guessing I'll get 5k miles of normal street driving before I need to replace them. I'm thinking I'll just get a new set of Trofeo Rs.

·
Vendor
185 Posts
Interesting to note for the euro owners, the 305 Toyo 888 is not available here as it's not been type approved, we are stuck with the 315 only which is too big.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts