McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
purist: noun, : a person who adheres strictly and often excessively to a tradition; especially : one preoccupied with the purity of a language and its protection from the use of foreign or altered forms...........

And leaves their cars to sit in the garage, cause god forbid they put any miles on them, or had to swap out a new set of tires, that might not be OEM!

I had to laugh at the conversation that I was having this week with an F-bomb owner, on the F-bomb vs. the Mclaren MP4-12C--you know the ones that we actually drive. He was telling me that he didn't want to buy x,y,or z ferrari, and drive it to the point that it depreciates, and is worth less.
Then why the hell buy it?? or get a room in your house and keep it there as art--it will still depreciated unless it is a rare, less than 200 made f-bombs. Not going to happen with most of today's modern cars!
The thought of being a purist blows my mind. Do we all buy houses, and keep them exactly they way that they were when the builder decided that he would put low grade builders quality shit into the house? NOOO!! we upgrade, we change, we knock holes in things, redo kitchens, redo baths, put nice patios with built in pools in; we "stylize" them, make them to our liking, and we are certainly happier with them.

These cars were made to drive and be driven, mine depreciated the minute it was picked up off the lot; do I care???hell no! thats what I bought it for! to enjoy! Nothing makes me happier.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
purist: noun, : a person who adheres strictly and often excessively to a tradition; especially : one preoccupied with the purity of a language and its protection from the use of foreign or altered forms...........

And leaves their cars to sit in the garage, cause god forbid they put any miles on them, or had to swap out a new set of tires, that might not be OEM!

I had to laugh at the conversation that I was having this week with an F-bomb owner, on the F-bomb vs. the Mclaren MP4-12C--you know the ones that we actually drive. He was telling me that he didn't want to buy x,y,or z ferrari, and drive it to the point that it depreciates, and is worth less.
Then why the hell buy it?? or get a room in your house and keep it there as art--it will still depreciated unless it is a rare, less than 200 made f-bombs. Not going to happen with most of today's modern cars!
The thought of being a purist blows my mind. Do we all buy houses, and keep them exactly they way that they were when the builder decided that he would put low grade builders quality shit into the house? NOOO!! we upgrade, we change, we knock holes in things, redo kitchens, redo baths, put nice patios with built in pools in; we "stylize" them, make them to our liking, and we are certainly happier with them.

These cars were made to drive and be driven, mine depreciated the minute it was picked up off the lot; do I care???hell no! thats what I bought it for! to enjoy! Nothing makes me happier.
Hey Bluensx them's the brakes and we can not change that, well we can if we head to the tuner shop LOL. Thank god though that we are all unique, for better or worst or it would be a pretty boring world. The key to all of this is that we need to achieve a certain level of happiness case and point I love my putt-putt with or without lots of mileage. I just don't want to grow bored of this little beast of a car sorry putt-putt, that's true I could always modify or enhance it. By the way I love you guys/gals who renovate/upgrade their homes that's how I make a living. Cheers....??

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
I am struggling to make the leap from purist to garage queen personally but agree with you completely that a car should be used as intended and depreciation be damned !
What is an fbomb ?

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Ferrari buyers in the US are the toughest buyers alive.

Go look at all the threads on Ferrari Life where buyers go to endless lengths for the perfect low mileage Ferrari - can't say I blame them as that is the culture mainly due to dealers refusing to buy high mileage F's instilling low mileage.

Ferrari is now offering the 7 year warranty to help offset the landscape of odometers.

FWIW - Ferrari can deny warranty if their cars are not driven 2500 miles per year

·
Registered
404 Posts
This is the classic collector/investor vs driver/enthusiast contrast; it doesn't seem to be particularly a Ferrari or McLaren thing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What's an F-bomb?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ferrari buyers in the US are the toughest buyers alive.

Go look at all the threads on Ferrari Life where buyers go to endless lengths for the perfect low mileage Ferrari - can't say I blame them as that is the culture mainly due to dealers refusing to buy high mileage F's instilling low mileage.

Ferrari is now offering the 7 year warranty to help offset the landscape of odometers.

FWIW - Ferrari can deny warranty if their cars are not driven 2500 miles per year
7 year servicing, not warranty.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Absolutely correct. If you install another toilet the purpose is to piss and shit in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Purists certainly are an interesting bunch. I joined McLaren life not to long ago when I deciding if the new 2014 Porsche 911 turbo S would be my next car. I've only had Porsche sports cars since I began driving (2 door) sports cars. I've been waiting for the new 991 turbo to be released for almost two years since I sold my 997 turbo. Now the time has arrived, but the new product doesn't excite me.

I recently had the chance to drive the McLaren and it was such a joy to drive. The only thing I don't like is the doors, simply because they attract unwanted attention, I love the operation and construction though.

I read and post on another forum Rennteam.com since I began to think about the turbo. It's interesting there's actually a discussion going on right now about the MP4 vs the new turbo. Even some of the Porsche enthusiasts agree that for the same money, the MP4 seems like the better buy and Porsche appears to have lost its way a bit. Making a car for the masses but perhaps alienating some of their core buyers.

Check it out:http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=4 go to page 41 of the turbo discussion that's where it gets good.

Hussain

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Purists certainly are an interesting bunch. I joined McLaren life not to long ago when I deciding if the new 2014 Porsche 911 turbo S would be my next car. I've only had Porsche sports cars since I began driving (2 door) sports cars. I've been waiting for the new 991 turbo to be released for almost two years since I sold my 997 turbo. Now the time has arrived, but the new product doesn't excite me.

I recently had the chance to drive the McLaren and it was such a joy to drive. The only thing I don't like is the doors, simply because they attract unwanted attention, I love the operation and construction though.

I read and post on another forum Rennteam.com since I began to think about the turbo. It's interesting there's actually a discussion going on right now about the MP4 vs the new turbo. Even some of the Porsche enthusiasts agree that for the same money, the MP4 seems like the better buy and Porsche appears to have lost its way a bit. Making a car for the masses but perhaps alienating some of their core buyers.

Check it out:http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=4 go to page 41 of the turbo discussion that's where it gets good.

Hussain
Hussain I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but, I can not locate a page 41 in the Turbo section under either 991 or 997 categories. Cheers....??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts