McLaren Life banner

61 - 80 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
the downpipes have no relation with the turbo intake pipes. even if the freer flowing pipes allow for a minimal boost gain,this in no way explains why this miss designed baffle would pop loose in the intake tract.
this compounded with the fact that bone stock cars are concerned by this and the available tsb proves it.

likewise for the springs. the position of the piston dampener in it's housing has no impact on the forces or pressure seen by the accumulators. if this was the case,the accumulators would all fail as the suspension cycled through it's available travel.
i'm sure there are more than a few superseries cars out there with lowering springs that didn't have op's issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
the downpipes have no relation with the turbo intake pipes. even if the freer flowing pipes allow for a minimal boost gain,this in no way explains why this miss designed baffle would pop loose in the intake tract.
this compounded with the fact that bone stock cars are concerned by this and the available tsb proves it.

likewise for the springs. the position of the piston dampener in it's housing has no impact on the forces or pressure seen by the accumulators. if this was the case,the accumulators would all fail as the suspension cycled through it's available travel.
i'm sure there are more than a few superseries cars out there with lowering springs that didn't have op's issues.

I agree 100% with this . Also wanted to say I had my 720s lowered brand new at the dealer with velocity ap springs before I even picked the car up . Over a year later and 14k on the odo I have had zero suspension issues .

·
Registered
661 Posts
There was already an existing thread on this issue over a year ago. I joined to make sure people were aware that this was an ongoing issue that still has not been addressed and more and more cases are popping up as I only discovered this forum / issue with the car a few weeks ago.
I do feel badly for you. Many people are misguided with the magic words "Magnuson Moss Warranty Act". They think it is the magic words to say to a dealer/manufacture and somehow an "open sesame" type thing and they get their way. I hope you get a good resolution but you are dealing with things and downtime of your car while you battle it out with them. it's just not worth it to modify the cars.

At the same time as this thread is going on, there is other postings/threads about people tuning, lowering their cars and putting exhausts on them. They are just not paying any attention with how manufactures are dealing with things. I did a posting about this modification/warranty and manufacture thing and I had a whole bunch of responses from dealers/customers of all marques telling me how manufactures were giving everyone a hard time. (BMW/Ford/Chevrolet, etc.).

There are multiple threads/postings about different tires to use. ( I use goodyear, which is not an approved tire). I was warned through a message by the actual Mclaren Engineer of the 720s to not do it and that the ESC was calibrated with the approved tires (pzero/corsas/trofeos). I even posted that message on these forums. Why do I even post this? Well, I was tracking a week ago and did a 180 degree spinorama in ESC dynamic mode in the 720s. Right after the spin a message came on of esc failure call mclaren dealer. It went away after I got into the paddock and turned the car off and put it back on. Now if something did happen with the ESC and it got screwed up and I was using the non standard tires, well then what?

I deal with a lot of Mac owners outside of these forums and they have all gotten the message that you shouldn't modify the car and if something does go wrong then be ready to pay the price (this is really across all marque's but needs to be emphasized again and again).

·
Registered
661 Posts
I want to chime In and say i think they should replace it under warranty as its known to fail .. BUT that being said even if they denied it there is no reason to RIP this guy off .

He sent me the quote from McLaren and it's over 3k 🤯 I had the same failure on my car and I never even asked about warranty as mine is heavily modified. I just called and asked how much the new Inlet pipe was and McLaren vancouver said 65$ canadian ! I ordered one and replaced it in my garage on the floor with a Jack in 30min.

So how can they charge 3k in labour to replace this part? That's what would and does upset me . Total rip off. Same as the dealer telling me it would 13-16hours to do the downpipes and exhaust @275$ an hour. I did it myself in my garage in 8hours with my buddy .

Just saying work with the guy and be fair if your going to deni a grey area warranty issue.
Warranty and non warranty labor rates are different. Buying from servicing dealer where they already got a lot of money from you from the car purchase is much different then buying the car from the non servicing dealer. You'll pay the price if you didn't buy from the local dealer (almost a tax , if you will for not buying from the local dealer (especially if you wasted the sales people's time in testing out cars and not buying from them).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Warranty and non warranty labor rates are different. Buying from servicing dealer where they already got a lot of money from you from the car purchase is much different then buying the car from the non servicing dealer. You'll pay the price if you didn't buy from the local dealer (almost a tax , if you will for not buying from the local dealer (especially if you wasted the sales people's time in testing out cars and not buying from them).
That's total BS . A 30min job for 3k labour is a rip off no matter what end of story

·
Registered
107 Posts
I do feel badly for you. Many people are misguided with the magic words "Magnuson Moss Warranty Act". They think it is the magic words to say to a dealer/manufacture and somehow an "open sesame" type thing and they get their way. I hope you get a good resolution but you are dealing with things and downtime of your car while you battle it out with them. it's just not worth it to modify the cars.

At the same time as this thread is going on, there is other postings/threads about people tuning, lowering their cars and putting exhausts on them. They are just not paying any attention with how manufactures are dealing with things. I did a posting about this modification/warranty and manufacture thing and I had a whole bunch of responses from dealers/customers of all marques telling me how manufactures were giving everyone a hard time. (BMW/Ford/Chevrolet, etc.).

There are multiple threads/postings about different tires to use. ( I use goodyear, which is not an approved tire). I was warned through a message by the actual Mclaren Engineer of the 720s to not do it and that the ESC was calibrated with the approved tires (pzero/corsas/trofeos). I even posted that message on these forums. Why do I even post this? Well, I was tracking a week ago and did a 180 degree spinorama in ESC dynamic mode in the 720s. Right after the spin a message came on of esc failure call mclaren dealer. It went away after I got into the paddock and turned the car off and put it back on. Now if something did happen with the ESC and it got screwed up and I was using the non standard tires, well then what?

I deal with a lot of Mac owners outside of these forums and they have all gotten the message that you shouldn't modify the car and if something does go wrong then be ready to pay the price (this is really across all marque's but needs to be emphasized again and again).
I disagree with what you said . It's totally worth it to modify these cars . Mines modified to the extreme and I plan to go even further.

The thing is I accept that I have no power train warranty because of this and that's totally fine and my call . But to say it's bad to modify and you shouldn't is wrong . Just don't expect to put an exhaust and tune or more on the car and then ask for warranty work later on the power train . Pretty simple

But modifying your car is the best part of this hobby and there are so many people on here that are almost scolding the people who decide to modify the car. Like "Oh these are engineered to perfection , dont fuck with them" that's not true at all . They can be made better and made custom to your personal tastes.

Only thing I will agree on when it comes to modifications... pay to play . If you can't afford to have something go wrong then yes leave it stock and drive the shit out of it under warranty .

·
Registered
661 Posts
That's total BS . A 30min job for 3k labour is a rip off no matter what end of story
Sure, if you say so. I'm not the mechanically inclined.

I needed a new right rotor.... They told me that dealer has to buy in pairs so I have to buy both of them. it cost me an extra $4,500 because of this...

·
Registered
661 Posts
I disagree with what you said . It's totally worth it to modify these cars . Mines modified to the extreme and I plan to go even further.

The thing is I accept that I have no power train warranty because of this and that's totally fine and my call . But to say it's bad to modify and you shouldn't is wrong . Just don't expect to put an exhaust and tune or more on the car and then ask for warranty work later on the power train . Pretty simple

But modifying your car is the best part of this hobby and there are so many people on here that are almost scolding the people who decide to modify the car. Like "Oh these are engineered to perfection , dont fuck with them" that's not true at all . They can be made better and made custom to your personal tastes.

Only thing I will agree on when it comes to modifications... pay to play . If you can't afford to have something go wrong then yes leave it stock and drive the shit out of it under warranty .
Below is from another posting (by a company that modifies cars).... The problem is that people dissatisfaction on here is exactly that... they want to modify it and have no issues with the warranty. This is not going to happen. Based on the below text; it is generally people who don't want to pay to play.

If you see the trend with exotics the first owners seldom modes their car. maybe a few
It is usually the 2 or 3 owner that will mod it when they pay 40% of the original sticker and they will want the best deal keeping quality and price in mind.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Below is from another posting (by a company that modifies cars).... The problem is that people dissatisfaction on here is exactly that... they want to modify it and have no issues with the warranty. This is not going to happen. Based on the below text; it is generally people who don't want to pay to play.

If you see the trend with exotics the first owners seldom modes their car. maybe a few
It is usually the 2 or 3 owner that will mod it when they pay 40% of the original sticker and they will want the best deal keeping quality and price in mind.
Exactly ... people who think they can modify the car with power adding mods like downpipes and tunes and keep their power train portion of the warranty are out to lunch.
But that doesn't make mods in general a bad thing , you just have to know what your getting into. I bought my 720s brand new and before I even really drove it I had it lowered , exhaust and tune .

Brand new 720s voided power train warranty from Day 1 .I knew and accepted that but when my roof glass cracked they fixed that under warranty no questions asked as my mods have nothing to do with it .

And the OP should have his issue fixed under warranty because it's a well known issue. So much so they now have a new part to replace the old one if yours breaks .

I know 100% my dealer would replace parts for me still if there was a known issue . There is actually a new fuel pump controller board cause the old one kept having issues and I'm going to get mine replaced u for warranty as a precaution .

Some dealers are great to work with as is kine and some just suck and don't seem to care which hurts the brand .

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Jeez you guys are lambasting the OP and talking about mods like he removed the engine and put in a dragster motor or something.

Hell, Pfaff McLaren Toronto has a whole sister subsidiary (Pfaff Tuning) where they modify TONS of Mac client cars, many even before delivery.

Very clear the OP is getting screwed here and Mac trying to hide behind the grey area of cause and effect because they are too cheap to pay out. How would you guys feel if your warranty was denied on a defective part that caused thousands in damage because of some unrelated and insignificant mod.

Another thing: Guys that like modding cars and turbo in general are McLaren Automotive's SAVING GRACE at the moment as they are single handedly propping up the resale market and saving values collapsing to sweet F all. Pretty sure Mac didn't envision Nissan GTR owners and guys cross shopping twin turbo Gallardos as the ones picking up all the cars that original owners bailed out of when they lost their a$$ and went back to Ferrari.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,474 Posts
What is the purpose of the turbo intake air diffuser? Does it create turbulent airflow rather than linear airflow? I don't understand the design. Would it be better for us to all just remove these from the intake pipes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
What is the purpose of the turbo intake air diffuser? Does it create turbulent airflow rather than linear airflow? I don't understand the design. Would it be better for us to all just remove these from the intake pipes?

A car company does not put on extra parts for fun. I would leave it on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jeez you guys are lambasting the OP and talking about mods like he removed the engine and put in a dragster motor or something.

Hell, Pfaff McLaren Toronto has a whole sister subsidiary (Pfaff Tuning) where they modify TONS of Mac client cars, many even before delivery.

Very clear the OP is getting screwed here and Mac trying to hide behind the grey area of cause and effect because they are too cheap to pay out. How would you guys feel if your warranty was denied on a defective part that caused thousands in damage because of some unrelated and insignificant mod.

Another thing: Guys that like modding cars and turbo in general are McLaren Automotive's SAVING GRACE at the moment as they are single handedly propping up the resale market and saving values collapsing to sweet F all. Pretty sure Mac didn't envision Nissan GTR owners and guys cross shopping twin turbo Gallardos as the ones picking up all the cars that original owners bailed out of when they lost their a$$ and went back to Ferrari.
this is 100% true. I grew up modding cars and is definitely one of the main reasons I was drawn into McLaren.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Modding cars certainly has its place. To those that say the car is setup that way for a reason... The car is setup that way to be road legal. There certainly is alot to gain performance wise from mods that the manufacturer would do themselves if it wasn't for these regulations.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,474 Posts

"..some interesting results were obtained when using grooved diffuser, these are pressure increase at high flow rates, and choke line shift to high flow rates. While retracting volute tongue was interesting in improving compressor efficiency, and pressure lines at high speed. "

Some of the science behind a turbo inlet air diffuser. The English isn't great but basically it increases compressor efficiency at high air flow rates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This also happened to me and my friend. However we both had aftermarket exhausts and are tuned. This issue does seem to only happen to people with an exhaust and a tune.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just logging into this site after 2 years to comment my disdain for a select few certain users (you know who you are).

OP has an issue... its been published in the bulletin, and every one of us knows McLaren is jumping on the opportunity to cop out to some mod. Yet there is always some bootlicker or two there to criticize the little guy and suck up to daddy McLaren. TBH its pathetic.

Imagine paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for a premium sports car, and still being a sucker when it comes to demanding good customer service. Still thinking like a chump. Its personalities like this that end up becoming "useful idiots" like Lenin called them.

Good luck to you with your issue OP.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You have no idea. For example, how do the modifications affect the resonant frequency of the exhaust? How does this interact with the waste-gate control algorithm?

As for lowering the car, the suspension geometry is optimised around its normal equilibrium position. Changing that risks premature wear and invalidates some of the active suspension's design parameters. I would be suspicious that the previous issue wasn't fully fixed, so wouldn't have risked a mod.

Modern Engineering is complicated. You cannot trust your gut feeling on how modifications will affect the complete system.

61 - 80 of 161 Posts