McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I believe, at least in the UK, its not illegal to have your car cat-less but the removal of which can effect the noise and emissions which may make it illegal.
Yes, I believe that is the case in the UK.
A search on Google suggests however that in the US it is illegal to remove a catalytic converter from a post-1995 road car. As the OP's car is a post-1995 road car, I was hoping that someone could clarify whether in fact it is illegal in the US to run a catless exhaust system.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Removing the Converter in the USA

This is for street use - The federal law states that if your car came with a catalytic converter and you remove it then they can fine you up to $10,000.

·
Owner
353 Posts
Man, this is tough. Sorry OP.

You claim that McLaren issued a bulletin to the dealerships - do you have a copy of this document? That would certainly make it easier - a TSB bulletin is not a recall, but it does alert of a potential issue on certain cars.

You also say that is is a well-known issue and apparently a few others here have experienced it. Unfortunately it is a numbers game. There has to be a certain amount of cars affected by it. The problem is that certain number of cars have to fit the warranty premise - so if your car is modified and was denied warranty, it won't fit that criteria.

Replacing a muffler (cat-back) is one thing, but once you replace the downpipes or delete the catalytics, that opens up a can of worms. McLaren denied your claim and probably used that as a scapegoat. I know there are laws that prevent them from doing that and they have to prove that the modifications you did "could" have caused those problems. All they have to do is have one of their engineers back up with potential scenario and they are done. If you go the lawyer route, this could probably take months, if not more and you are going to have to rack up a ridiculous amount of hours in order to fight it - I am sure their pockets have a retainer in place and they will just let it roll.

Same thing w/lowering the car - while the "degraded issues with suspension" are happening to completely unmodified cars, having the car lowered could also be used as a scapegoat to back up their claim this was a cause. The things are related, so it is easy to do.

Now, if they were saying the downpipes you had caused the suspension issue, then that would be a bit outrageous, but their claims are not completely unfounded.

Once you get a warranty claim denied, you can appeal it but it will probably be harder to do.

However, the fact that your dealer encouraged you to make those modifications and the fact that it was actually them that did the installation, then that opens the door to a different route you can go about doing this. If the dealer installed the goods, did you sign something acknowledging that your warranty could be voided in certain aspects by proceeding with those modifications? If you did, then you are probably hosed and will just have to bite the bullet, but if you didn't, then I would pursue this directly with the dealer.

Good luck, regardless.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
Removing the Converter in the USA

This is for street use - The federal law states that if your car came with a catalytic converter and you remove it then they can fine you up to $10,000.
Yes. The OP did not state that he uses the car on the street but I assumed that he sometimes does, as a 720S would be a strange choice for a track-only car.
If the OP did remove the cats and still drives the car on American streets, then it seems a bit rich to criticise McLaren for (allegedly) engaging in "illegal practice".
One might criticise McLaren (or the dealer) for engaging in practice that one considers dishonorable, as the OP is also doing. Fair enough.
At the same time, I think we all know that modifying a modern car in any material way (especially a performance-related way) and then looking to the manufacturer to compensate for a warranty claim usually leads to disappointment.
As another member posted above: is the 720S road car not fast enough and low enough to start with?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Above and beyond? Did you read the thread at all? This is a known defect in both modified and unmodified cars and has literally nothing to do with my exhaust. It isn’t my fault that McLaren Denver couldn’t find the used spec I wanted but Philly could - that doesn’t justify the situation. I’ve still spent thousands with them for track inspections, post track inspections, installs, services and more. My issue isn’t so much with McLaren Denver, it’s with McLaren in general for trying to pass off a known issue by using my exhaust as a blanket reason to deny the claim.
I have been on these forums for 6 years (I don't use my different old forum name anymore). The last two years has seen an uptick in "dissatisfied" customers that get amplified because there are hardly any people posting on these forums.

720s is the most significant regular production super car to ever be produced. I have one and use it in every manner possible. Without the sales of 720s there would be no Mclaren. It is/was a game changer. They have sold over 6,000 of these and people continue to buy them. There is 20 of them within a 10 mile radius of where I live and I generally know all of them. 720s dominates at the drag strip, they are frequently seen on race tracks, they are the #1 exotic car seen on rallies, etc.

Yet, people did not heed the warnings of do NOT modify your car in the last two years. The disgruntled customers like to say things like this is a known issue, etc. but it is there issue and they try to find any evidence to back up their claims that it is a "wide" issue which hardly anyone outside of these forums can back up. There is a typical owner who posts their disatisfaction on these forums and eventually after people ask questions; it comes out that person modified their car, bought from non servicing dealer, bought used, etc.

Recall - Maybe you should do some research of what the criteria is for a recall. Service bulletin - you should be able to use this in a lawsuit scenario to back up your claims. You seem to think that you have an open and shut case so I'm not sure why you are even posting it here.

My conclusion is exactly what has been posted on these forums the last two years - Do NOT modify this work of engineering that hundreds of millions of dollars of research and development has been put into.

·
Registered
104 Posts
^ I’m with you. Don’t modify it if you don’t have the $$$ to back it up and rely on the manufacturer to throw you some freebies. I wanted to modify my ESCALADE with hennessey and they will cover the warranty. No way you go back to the dealer and put it back to stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Big question here: since you have catless down pipes, don’t you have a tune to get rid of the CEL? I’m assuming that your car is then tuned as well. Catless Downpipes and tune will makes it very hard to get any motor warranty work covered, even if it is a known item because mclaren could always say the extra pressure your downpipes and tune caused created this issue.

regardless, I feel for you man. The only saving grace you may have is that the dealer did the work so the dealer was willing to make a few bucks on modification work but now won’t back it up. I think you have some beef with the dealer and might have to sue the dealer if they won’t back it up as they installed parts that caused damage to your car. When I had my Porsche, 2 dealers would not touch mods on my car but one dealer has no issue installing a full exhaust with sport cats. If I had a motor failure that was denied due to this, you better believe I would fight the dealer and probably have to threaten a lawsuit. You may have to send an email with your attorney cc’d or send certified letter by attorney with copy of the invoice when they did the work, etc.

Best of luck brother!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Big question here: since you have catless down pipes, don’t you have a tune to get rid of the CEL? I’m assuming that your car is then tuned as well. Catless Downpipes and tune will makes it very hard to get any motor warranty work covered, even if it is a known item because mclaren could always say the extra pressure your downpipes and tune caused created this issue.

regardless, I feel for you man. The only saving grace you may have is that the dealer did the work so the dealer was willing to make a few bucks on modification work but now won’t back it up. I think you have some beef with the dealer and might have to sue the dealer if they won’t back it up as they installed parts that caused damage to your car. When I had my Porsche, 2 dealers would not touch mods on my car but one dealer has no issue installing a full exhaust with sport cats. If I had a motor failure that was denied due to this, you better believe I would fight the dealer and probably have to threaten a lawsuit. You may have to send an email with your attorney cc’d or send certified letter by attorney with copy of the invoice when they did the work, etc.

Best of luck brother!

The car isn't tuned and I haven't had a CEL as of yet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So the OP put an illegal modification onto a car in a location that is essentially contiguous with the part that failed and he is subsequently complaining that McLaren is not willing to cover the costs of a failure. Which is essentially the same as asking other McLaren owners to foot the bill through higher costs.

Personally, I would rather McLaren took a hard line against modders in order to be more flexible with people who have other defects.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can download the service bulletins from the McLaren Techinfo Portal, but you need to pay at least for an hour access time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So the OP put an illegal modification onto a car in a location that is essentially contiguous with the part that failed and he is subsequently complaining that McLaren is not willing to cover the costs of a failure. Which is essentially the same as asking other McLaren owners to foot the bill through higher costs.

Personally, I would rather McLaren took a hard line against modders in order to be more flexible with people who have other defects.
Did you read the thread or are you making baseless jumps in logic? The car has downpipes on it, the baffle failure is something that has been addressed by McLaren as a known issue with STOCK cars. My downpipes played no role in this. McLaren also hasn't released ANYTHING to their customers about this issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did you read the thread or are you making baseless jumps in logic? The car has downpipes on it, the baffle failure is something that has been addressed by McLaren as a known issue with STOCK cars. My downpipes played no role in this. McLaren also hasn't released ANYTHING to their customers about this issue.
Yes, I read the thread.

Just because it has happened to stock cars doesn't mean that a failure isn't caused by modifications in some circumstances.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yes, I read the thread.

Just because it has happened to stock cars doesn't mean that a failure isn't caused by modifications in some circumstances.
If the issue has been seen in both stock and modified cars, wouldn't the rational assumption be that the modification likely didn't play a role in the failure?

·
Registered
616 Posts
If the issue has been seen in both stock and modified cars, wouldn't the rational assumption be that the modification likely didn't play a role in the failure?
No, it wouldn't. If your modification, for example, causes higher boost spikes, it could increase the probability of the failure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
No, it wouldn't. If your modification, for example, causes higher boost spikes, it could increase the probability of the failure.
The part is failing in stock cars. With that logic, it is just speeding up the rate of failure for an already defective design.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The only thing that anyone is going to get out of these threads is that manufactures are difficult with warranty claims with people who modify their cars......... and people who post these problems just after joining without any other contributions are just here to.... well you know what.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The only thing that anyone is going to get out of these threads is that manufactures are difficult with warranty claims with people who modify their cars......... and people who post these problems just after joining without any other contributions are just here to.... well you know what.
There was already an existing thread on this issue over a year ago. I joined to make sure people were aware that this was an ongoing issue that still has not been addressed and more and more cases are popping up as I only discovered this forum / issue with the car a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The part is failing in stock cars. With that logic, it is just speeding up the rate of failure for an already defective design.
I have some sympathy for your predicament, although, personally, would never modify a car in-warranty.

By modifying your car, you have accelerated wear on many components, and increased the peak parameters that they see. McLaren didn't design the car for other people's modifications.

If we go with the "speeding up the rate of failure", how do McLaren know if it would have failed during the warranty period witout your modifications? What percentage of unmodified cars has it failed on (during the warranty period)? I'd really recommend that you try and reach some sort of compromise with McLaren / the dealership. Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I want to chime In and say i think they should replace it under warranty as its known to fail .. BUT that being said even if they denied it there is no reason to RIP this guy off .

He sent me the quote from McLaren and it's over 3k 🤯 I had the same failure on my car and I never even asked about warranty as mine is heavily modified. I just called and asked how much the new Inlet pipe was and McLaren vancouver said 65$ canadian ! I ordered one and replaced it in my garage on the floor with a Jack in 30min.

So how can they charge 3k in labour to replace this part? That's what would and does upset me . Total rip off. Same as the dealer telling me it would 13-16hours to do the downpipes and exhaust @275$ an hour. I did it myself in my garage in 8hours with my buddy .

Just saying work with the guy and be fair if your going to deni a grey area warranty issue.

41 - 60 of 161 Posts