McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
yeah shitty situation for sure hope they make it right. the new redesign makes a good case the 1st design was a failed component with known issuses

anytime a car goes in for service should be a known repair covered by corporate

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
yeah shitty situation for sure hope they make it right. the new redesign makes a good case the 1st design was a failed component with known issuses

anytime a car goes in for service should be a known repair covered by corporate
McLaren issued a formal bulletin to the dealerships acknowledging that this is a known issue, but still has not issued a recall on it. This is a major issue and literally caused 14k in damage to my car.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Good luck. I’m surprised the dealer is not willing to step up on your behalf to negotiate something.
Worse case you go then lawyer route

·
Registered
753 Posts
wondering how corporate knew about the pipes? only mc philly could've told them even though they agreed to install them and gave you their blessings!!
and op is correct in that whether the car was purchased used or new,warranty coverage should not be influenced.
try and get a copy of the tsb or document as much as you can for an eventual legal fight.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If they can have one of their engineers write out a detailed explanation as to why these are being denied, then I will drop it, but all they have done is immediately deny my claims citing aftermarket parts as the issue which is illegal. They have not given me a single explanation. The suspension issue was a pre-existing issue that came back not even a month later - lowering springs do not affect accumulators and that is why I want an actual response from someone on their team for the rationalization behind denying them in the first place.
They are never going to give a written statement. I was a factory service rep for one of the big three for years in a prior life. In that company we did not deny warranty lightly. It is a case that’s too easy to lose. Big bad car company picking on the consumer.

Honestly it is not a major stretch to say the pipe you connected to their system changed the flow and caused the problem. I am not saying it did but it is not a major leap. By putting lowering springs you also changed the suspension travel. Again not a major leap to say your modifications caused the problem.

I feel for you. A 720 is a complex car pushed to the edge. The suspension is cutting edge. An engine that revs over 8 makes over 700 hp and has a unlimited miles warranty is very complex. They don’t want people screwing with it.

I for one won’t modify my car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hope you are able to get your issue resolved.

Does anyone know if this issue affects the 2019s as well?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
They are never going to give a written statement. I was a factory service rep for one of the big three for years in a prior life. In that company we did not deny warranty lightly. It is a case that’s too easy to lose. Big bad car company picking on the consumer.

Honestly it is not a major stretch to say the pipe you connected to their system changed the flow and caused the problem. I am not saying it did but it is not a major leap. By putting lowering springs you also changed the suspension travel. Again not a major leap to say your modifications caused the problem.

I feel for you. A 720 is a complex car pushed to the edge. The suspension is cutting edge. An engine that revs over 8 makes over 700 hp and has a unlimited miles warranty is very complex. They don’t want people screwing with it.

I for one won’t modify my car.
People have been repeatedly warning for the last two years that if you modify your car then expect to face warranty consequences .

Just about every dissatisfied /problem car with the vocal owners posting on here have modified their cars with exhausts /tunes/lowered and/or purchased the car from the non servicing Mac dealer .

As if Mac Denver is going to go above and beyond to help a local customer who didn’t purchase the car from them.

Reactions: mikey k

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
People have been repeatedly warning for the last two years that if you modify your car then expect to face warranty consequences .

Just about every dissatisfied /problem car with the vocal owners posting on here have modified their cars with exhausts /tunes/lowered and/or purchased the car from the non servicing Mac dealer .

As if Mac Denver is going to go above and beyond to help a local customer who didn’t purchase the car from them.
Above and beyond? Did you read the thread at all? This is a known defect in both modified and unmodified cars and has literally nothing to do with my exhaust. It isn’t my fault that McLaren Denver couldn’t find the used spec I wanted but Philly could - that doesn’t justify the situation. I’ve still spent thousands with them for track inspections, post track inspections, installs, services and more. My issue isn’t so much with McLaren Denver, it’s with McLaren in general for trying to pass off a known issue by using my exhaust as a blanket reason to deny the claim.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Let’s clarify something here. If there is a known issue with a car and a recall is issued - the car does NOT have to be in warranty for it to get fixed. This is a known issue and a recall SHOULD have been issued by now as it’s causing major damage. My exhaust is irrelevant. McLaren is trying to cover up the issue and not trying to take responsibility for a failure on their end.

·
Registered
259 Posts
McLaren issued a formal bulletin to the dealerships acknowledging that this is a known issue, but still has not issued a recall on it. This is a major issue and literally caused 14k in damage to my car.
Do you have a copy of this bulletin? Would be interesting to see what they say about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Do you have a copy of this bulletin? Would be interesting to see what they say about it.
When I first brought the car in to check for a boost leak, they called me a few days later to let me know about the dislodged plastic inlet piece. The initial conversation was that based on the bulletin McLaren issued the dealers on this issue and the condition of my turbo - McLaren recommends we replace the turbo and the inlet pieces with the new ones. Then, I got a call 24 hours later saying McLaren is actually not going to cover anything because of my exhaust and have been fighting with them every since.

I will see if I can get a copy of the bulletin.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation and thanks for the heads up! I hope you get this resolved to your benefit!

That said, stories like this keep me from modding my car. Mclarens already have enough issues and I'd hate to get that denial and repair bill. I've heard many owners say their dealer is ok with mods like yours did but I think everyone should take that with a grain of salt considering what they told you and how they're responding now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry to hear about your situation and thanks for the heads up! I hope you get this resolved to your benefit!

That said, stories like this keep me from modding my car. Mclarens already have enough issues and I'd hate to get that denial and repair bill. I've heard many owners say their dealer is ok with mods like yours did but I think everyone should take that with a grain of salt considering what they told you and how they're responding now.
I hate how you only ever hear bad things . No one posts about the good. I have had my 720s for a year now and put 14k on the odo ... heavily heavily modified. I bought it new and did meth, exhaust and tune right off the bat . Then added nitrous recently and I have never had a single mechanical issue besides that inlet plastic peice coming lose .

Otherwise I just get in and drive the shit out of it every day. Love this car to death and one of the best cars I have ever owned . Oh and I lowered it the first day I got it and have never had any suspension issues or faults.

Just my 0.2cents on reliability.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I hate how you only ever hear bad things . No one posts about the good. I have had my 720s for a year now and put 14k on the odo ... heavily heavily modified. I bought it new and did meth, exhaust and tune right off the bat . Then added nitrous recently and I have never had a single mechanical issue besides that inlet plastic peice coming lose .

Otherwise I just get in and drive the shit out of it every day. Love this car to death and one of the best cars I have ever owned . Oh and I lowered it the first day I got it and have never had any suspension issues or faults.

Just my 0.2cents on reliability.
Great to hear! I love my car despite its minor issues. Over 8k in 8 months!

Did your dealer cover that inlet repair after it was modified?

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
McLaren denied my warranty claim because my car has a catless exhaust system and said that it voided my engine warranty. According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically cancel your warranty just because you’ve installed aftermarket car parts. This is an illegal practice.
Is it legal to drive a road car with a catless exhaust system? :unsure:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Based on the bulletin mentioned previously, is anyone aware of their cars having the diffuser replaced?
Alternatively, has anyone asked for it to be done and had the request denied?

To the OP, have you obtained independent advice from auto club, consumer organisation or other mechanic to support your claim? Failing that I suspect your next step might have to be a letter to McLaren from your lawyer accompanied by that evidence to focus their attention and show that you are serious.

As a side issue, can the dealer wipe their hands of all responsibility? I suppose it depends on your state laws however here in Australia, the retailer has the ultimate responsibility to rectify a defect or replace/refund if it is major. What then happens between the retailer and manufacturer is irrelevant. They cannot (but will try to) hide behind "the manufacturer said...…………." In your case you will need some evidence or mechanics report that your mod didn't cause the fault which should be do-able. Clearly with something of this value they will fight tooth and nail but if you show you are serious I suspect they will come to the party but it will probably take a long time.

WRT to penalties for removing cats in UK is that just since you left the EU:D. I've heard in some continental countries this is a major violation of either environmental or tax laws that can earn you a massive fine or more. Here its a modest fine and defect notice (large yellow notice stuck on the inside of the windscreen near the centre of the drivers view - a "canary"!!) preventing you driving/re-registering the vehicle until it passes inspection. Had a few in my younger days when they were a badge of honour. Now my cars are fast enough as they come from the factory.

21 - 40 of 164 Posts