McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little back story. I have a 2018 720s that I noticed was down on power - took it to a McLaren dealership and they found that my turbo inlet air diffuser had dislodged and damaged my turbo. I found a similar post showing that this has happened with other cars and have now found more than one person with the identical issue on this forum.

McLaren denied my warranty claim because my car has a catless exhaust system and said that it voided my engine warranty. According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically cancel your warranty just because you’ve installed aftermarket car parts. This is an illegal practice. I am now on the hook for a 14K repair to replace out my damaged turbo and replace the inlet with the new part they created to remedy this issue. Ironic that they created a fix but haven't told their customers that it's a potential issue.

This is a KNOWN issue that they are trying to pin on my exhaust system as a blanket excuse to deny work on my car. Just a PSA to anybody thinking of modifying their car in any way, even your exhaust. Also, if you own a 720S, go and get it checked because this is becoming a common issue and McLaren still hasn't publicly addressed it.

UPDATE: McLaren is covering the warranty issue. Make sure you are getting your cars checked on your next service.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same thing happened to me ... I noticed I was low on power and running slow times . So I started looking for a leak and found that peice blocking my turbo . Luckily mine never got sucked in or damaged anything. I just removed it and instantly the car was fast again .

Very much advised to remove those peices asap .

·
Registered
342 Posts
Is the dealership able to trace the issue back to cat-less exhaust system? They have to be able to prove that the exhaust system cause the problem. You should contact the client service department?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is at Mike Ward McLaren. Their service manager told me that McLaren denied the warranty claim so his hands are tied. I asked for a written response from McLaren both through the dealership and directly to their customer relations team detailing how they came to the conclusion that my aftermarket exhaust caused an issue that is already known to happen on stock cars, without modifications, so we will see if they will actually provide that or just continue blindly denying claims without any real reasons to back it up.

I was also told that McLaren sent out a bulletin to their dealers about this - so it is a known issue. They are just trying to use my exhaust as a blanket excuse to deny my claim, which is federally illegal.

I also had an issue with my accumulators throwing suspension codes in cold weather that was supposedly fixed in December, but is now throwing codes again. I had the car lowered a few weeks ago (after this issue was supposed to be fixed) and now they are trying to deny this claim as well citing my lowering springs as the issue.

I love my 720s, but I will never buy a McLaren again based on this experience.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are trying to charge 3K for the inlet replacement and 11k for Turbo replacement (8k for the part, 3k for labor). I already filed a formal complaint with the state and with the FTC, but I doubt anything comes of that. At this point, I am just waiting on a response from their care team to see how this is handled directly before pursuing actual legal action for their blatant disregard of federal law.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I asked for a written response from McLaren both through the dealership and directly to their customer relations team detailing how they came to the conclusion that my aftermarket exhaust caused an issue that is already known to happen on stock cars, without modifications, so we will see if they will actually provide that or just continue blindly denying claims without any real reasons to back it up.
IMO, they could claim that the modification increased the probability of the fault occurring. That would be weak, IMO, but not entirely without merit. I would expect them to backtrack on this, but you should be prepared to give a little too - perhaps offer to pay the labour?

I also had an issue with my accumulators throwing suspension codes in cold weather that was supposedly fixed in December, but is now throwing codes again. I had the car lowered a few weeks ago (after this issue was supposed to be fixed) and now they are trying to deny this claim as well citing my lowering springs as the issue.
They have a much stronger case there, IMO. I've never understood the need to take a well-Engineered design and mess with it - these cars are already low enough to have issues, but each to their own.

I'm afraid that modifying a car opens you to this type of warranty refusal. For me, it wouldn't be worth the risk or hassle. I hope that you can get to a reasonable conclusion for these claims.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IMO, they could claim that the modification increased the probability of the fault occurring. That would be weak, IMO, but not entirely without merit. I would expect them to backtrack on this, but you should be prepared to give a little too - perhaps offer to pay the labour?

They have a much stronger case there, IMO. I've never understood the need to take a well-Engineered design and mess with it - these cars are already low enough to have issues, but each to their own.

I'm afraid that modifying a car opens you to this type of warranty refusal. For me, it wouldn't be worth the risk or hassle. I hope that you can get to a reasonable conclusion for these claims.

If they can have one of their engineers write out a detailed explanation as to why these are being denied, then I will drop it, but all they have done is immediately deny my claims citing aftermarket parts as the issue which is illegal. They have not given me a single explanation. The suspension issue was a pre-existing issue that came back not even a month later - lowering springs do not affect accumulators and that is why I want an actual response from someone on their team for the rationalization behind denying them in the first place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, I want everyone to understand that the core issue here is that there is a major defect with the 720S that McLaren has not publicly done a recall on yet or even made an announcement on. Furthermore, not only is this a prevalent issue, it has expensive consequences and McLaren is not trying to own up to their own shitty design and instead trying to pin it on their customers.

PSA - Check Your Turbo Inlet Air Diffusers!

Check above too,@AirdrieVentador had the exact same thing happen to him and I know at least 5 others that have come forward and also confirmed this issue with me now.

·
570S Silica White
775 Posts
I love my 720s, but I will never buy a McLaren again based on this experience.
Sorry to hear this, that really sucks. But, just FYI, you'd run into the same attitude at Ferrari for sure (based in what happened to a friend) and probably every other manufacturer as well. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They are trying to charge 3K for the inlet replacement and 11k for Turbo replacement (8k for the part, 3k for labor). I already filed a formal complaint with the state and with the FTC, but I doubt anything comes of that. At this point, I am just waiting on a response from their care team to see how this is handled directly before pursuing actual legal action for their blatant disregard of federal law.
Whoa whoa... 3k for the new inlet pipe? I got the new updated one from mcalren for 65$ the entire pipe that connects to the turbo and bends in a U back to the next connection of the intake track ... 3k wtf

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whoa whoa... 3k for the new inlet pipe? I got the new updated one from mcalren for 65$ the entire pipe that connects to the turbo and bends in a U back to the next connection of the intake track ... 3k wtf

Will you PM me the part # on Instagram? They are quoting me $400 for parts and $2600 for labor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
On the bright side Dylan, from the looks of your profile pic, at least you have a smokin' hot wife!!!! That definitely makes things a little better! ;)

Side Note: I sponsor the EY EOU\Y program out in OC and San Diego. Looks like you are a prior winner - congrats. I contend it is the only trophy worth competing for, for entrepreneurs! In fact <am right in the middle of submitting my nominees right now.

Oh yeah, good luck with your turbo headache! (y)

·
Registered
210 Posts
EOY! I fat fingered that one in my post above and can't figure out how to edit it. :(

·
Registered
331 Posts
The OP haven’t answered the question yet if he bought it used or new? Used means it could have been modified and abused and returned to stock and you want McLaren to pay for it? But if you got it new and the stock turbo inlet caused problems then I understand the PSA.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The OP haven’t answered the question yet if he bought it used or new? Used means it could have been modified and abused and returned to stock and you want McLaren to pay for it? But if you got it new and the stock turbo inlet caused problems then I understand the PSA.
It was bought used with 5k miles from McLaren Philadelphia with a full inspection done, full service history and the car was not modified or abused. The car is spotless and the previous owner was a collector.

The only thing my car has is a catless exhaust, and the dealer not only encouraged my mods but offered to install them for me as well. The inlet is an issue with a ton of the 2018's and I don't think the car being used or new changes the fact that they used shitty glue to hold the inlet cover in place. There's a reason that the new piece is a unibody design - they realized they made a shitty design and created a fix for it and now they not only are trying to cover up the issue but trying to pin it on their customers.

Feel free to read the other posts above and on this forum from other people who have had the exact same issues.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts