McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
World’s fastest and quickest McLarens
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we have been doing more and more 720S calibrations this past year we have noticed an increasing amount of air diffusers come dislodged from the factory turbo air inlets and get close to or make contact with the compressor wheel on the turbo. If it makes contact with the compressor wheel the turbo will likely need to be replaced or at the minimum rebuilt. At the very least it does disrupt airflow and can cost horsepower if it loosens

Thanks to Roman and Zohair at Boost Logic for catching this one and documenting it with pictures:

Luckily Roman caught this before it made its way into the turbo. It had gone into the compressor housing but was still millimeters from contacting the compressor wheel.

McLaren has an updated part number to remedy this. Dyno Spectrum and Boost Logic have the updated versions in stock and ready to ship if you find yourself needing a set.

Thanks! [email protected]

·
Registered
837 Posts
I assume there is no way to check these without major disassembly ?

Haven't heard of any failures from this but it's concerning if common... wonder if there will be a TSB/recall.

·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn’t a quick in your garage with a screwdriver disassembly but if you have a reliable shop or dealer you take your car to it would be wise to mention it to them. Particularly if you feel the car is a little down on power from when you first got it.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,658 Posts
It isn’t a quick in your garage with a screwdriver disassembly but if you have a reliable shop or dealer you take your car to it would be wise to mention it to them. Particularly if you feel the car is a little down on power from when you first got it.
What is the purpose of the turbo intake air diffuser? Does it create turbulent airflow rather than linear airflow? I don't understand the design. Would it be better for us to all just remove these from the intake pipes?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for sharing this.
I’ll put it on my list for the next pre-track check that I will have in two weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As we have been doing more and more 720S calibrations this past year we have noticed an increasing amount of air diffusers come dislodged from the factory turbo air inlets and get close to or make contact with the compressor wheel on the turbo. If it makes contact with the compressor wheel the turbo will likely need to be replaced or at the minimum rebuilt. At the very least it does disrupt airflow and can cost horsepower if it loosens

Thanks to Roman and Zohair at Boost Logic for catching this one and documenting it with pictures:

Luckily Roman caught this before it made its way into the turbo. It had gone into the compressor housing but was still millimeters from contacting the compressor wheel.

McLaren has an updated part number to remedy this. Dyno Spectrum and Boost Logic have the updated versions in stock and ready to ship if you find yourself needing a set.

that is awesomely caught right there! Thank u, my car currently in shop for “system too lean off idle bank 1” code P2177. Any thoughts on this? dealer trying to figure out.

·
Registered
52 Posts

that is awesomely caught right there! Thank u, my car currently in shop for “system too lean off idle bank 1” code P2177. Any thoughts on this? dealer trying to figure out.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,658 Posts
It will be interesting to find out how many people have the same issue once people start looking.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Has this occurred with models other than the 720 ?

·
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has this occurred with models other than the 720 ?
Not that we have encountered. It seems isolated to the 720s. Unobtainium is starting to manufacture new billet inlets for the 720s that should be ready in a couple weeks for those interested. Their hard parts and exhausts are top tier when it comes to quality and performance.

http://instagr.am/p/B84gXWVhBLN/

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,658 Posts
I had the problem too. My car is in for service for cracked Gorilla glass and I asked them to check the turbo inlet pipes because I noticed occasional loss of power on track at WOT. They found the air diffusers were detached. Turbos seem fine per tech though. I'd recommend getting yours checked. Mine is a 2018 720 with vin 741.

Attachments

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had the problem too. My car is in for service for cracked Gorilla glass and I asked them to check the turbo inlet pipes because I noticed occasional loss of power on track at WOT. They found the air diffusers were detached. Turbos seem fine per tech though. I'd recommend getting yours checked. Mine is a 2018 720 with vin 741.
is your car all stock?
if not,be prepared for a few members to come and flame you like the OP!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can you circle the problem? Not sure what I'm looking at

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another question on this. My car is about to go in for service. If I buy the Unobtainium ones, have the dealer install them (pre-cautionary). Would that then void my warranty (My car is 100% stock). My fear (based on RonMath's recent saga. If I change those, and something goes wrong, do they void all engine repairs. I assume they would/could technically.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I see no point in changing them if you are 100% stock with factory warranty. If they fail and cause damage you are covered 100%. Really nothing to worry about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts