McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a car to replace my Audi R8 V10. I was looking at either the McLaren MP4- 12C or the Ferrari 458. I would like to change up the brand and get something different from the Audi but my only worry about getting an exotic like the McLaren or Ferrari is reliability. So far my R8 has been completely bullet proof.

I drive my cars a lot and they rarely sit for more than two days in a row so having the peace of mind that the car is always going to start is very important to me. Plus I live in Pittsburgh and the closest dealers for either the McLaren or Ferrari are pretty far away so any major break would be a huge hassle.

I really just want to know:
1. Will the car ever just not start and leave me stranded.
2. Or will it ever just break down while driving it.

I understand regular maintenance is important but I just can’t keep a car that doesn’t start half the time.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
While I only have 1000 miles on the car, It is my daily driver. So far so good! The car is very drivable in every situation I have encountered so far. Next up a track day later in the month.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
There are folks with more mileage on their cars, but generally, the Mac is lower maintenance than the Ferrari. The Mac warranty is 3 years with unlimited mileage. Also, maintenance on the Ferrari is about $7/8k a year. On the Mac it's about $1300-1600/yr US.

The Mac is generally viewed as a more competent daily driver as well.

I drive mine in NYC. Knock wood, so far (800miles), it's been great.

During the break-in period, McLaren asks that you don't go over 150mph. I've been honoring that. :)

Good luck with your decision. Both cars are epic. No wrong choice no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
There are folks with more mileage on their cars, but generally, the Mac is lower maintenance than the Ferrari. The Mac warranty is 3 years with unlimited mileage. Also, maintenance on the Ferrari is about $7/8k a year. On the Mac it's about $1300-1600/yr US.

The Mac is generally viewed as a more competent daily driver as well.

I drive mine in NYC. Knock wood, so far (800miles), it's been great.

During the break-in period, McLaren asks that you don't go over 150mph. I've been honoring that. :)

Good luck with your decision. Both cars are epic. No wrong choice no matter which way you go.
Not true, if you get a 2012 or newer 458, the maintenance is FREE! I have never been stranded in either car so far. Both are great cars, 12C is faster, 458 sounds better inside the car. From outside the car, both sound fantastic. Go drive both and make your decision.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Not true, if you get a 2012 or newer 458, the maintenance is FREE! I have never been stranded in either car so far. Both are great cars, 12C is faster, 458 sounds better inside the car. From outside the car, both sound fantastic. Go drive both and make your decision.
That's great. How long is the free maintenance?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Also, maintenance on the Ferrari is about $7/8k a year. On the Mac it's about $1300-1600/yr US.
The annual service on the 458 is around the same as the 12C, which is around $1500/year for the regular oil service and fluid top-off. In other words, the annual service bill on both the Mclaren and the Ferrari will be significantly more than the Audi R8.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The annual service on the 458 is around the same as the 12C, which is around $1500/year for the regular oil service and fluid top-off. In other words, the annual service bill on both the Mclaren and the Ferrari will be significantly more than the Audi R8.
Beyond the "free" service, I'm going by the 430 Scud costs, which are around 7/8k. As always YMMV.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Beyond the "free" service, I'm going by the 430 Scud costs, which are around 7/8k. As always YMMV.
7-8k for servicing a Scud? Where are you getting your info? Fluid changes are around $1200 at my Dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a car to replace my Audi R8 V10. I was looking at the McLaren MP4- 12C

I really just want to know:
1. Will the car ever just not start and leave me stranded.
2. Or will it ever just break down while driving it.
Nope ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have never heard of any 430 Scuderia that costs 7k to change its oil and fluids. :eek::eek:

I had a 599 for 5 years and it costed me $1800/year. V8 models are usually $1200-1500/yr. You have been clearly misinformed.

Even if you change your clutch every 3-4 years, it only costs like 4-6K.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have never heard of any 430 Scuderia that costs 7k to change its oil and fluids. :eek::eek:

I had a 599 for 5 years and it costed me $1800/year. V8 models are usually $1200-1500/yr. You have been clearly misinformed.

Even if you change your clutch every 3-4 years, it only costs like 4-6K.
Apparently I stand corrected. Will ask him next week what he meant by the 7/8k figure.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well you came to the right place..... The McLaren is for bad-asses who want to be the fastest and coolest driving the best supercar available to mankind. The F car is for those that....generally disagree with me. :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Nearly 2 years now,14k miles and a DD,never been let down with engine and drivetrain,but had a problem with the doorlock ,which was a batch problem and was replaced on all relavant cars.:)

·
Registered
551 Posts
The Ferrari's indeed are including 7years maintenance with 36 months of warranty.....and that's including pickup.of the car and bringing it back. Of course tires are not included.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The Ferrari's indeed are including 7years maintenance with 36 months of warranty.....and that's including pickup.of the car and bringing it back. Of course tires are not included.
Did this happen about 4 minutes after McLaren announced the 12c :rolleyes:.Well worth having admittedly,but a small price to pay for owning a MAC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts