McLaren Life banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had success in dealing with insurance companies on value disputes?

The legal route seems to be my only option at this point.

If any of you have Progressive I can only strongly advise you to find a better insurer.

Progressive had my car for well over two months with ZERO progress on the claim only to come back with a $112,000 value for my fully loaded 16k miles car and declaring it a total loss. The craziest part is that I have a Stated Value Policy with a value of $200,000. I think $112,000 is how much they will get for my slightly damaged car at a salvage auction. They claim to have seven appraisals to confirm this value but are only sharing one. That is most likely the only one with this low value and they most likely own the appraisal company.

I would like to find a lawyer who is very aggressive, has been successful against Progressive, and can produce fast results.

AGAIN, if you have Progressive, proceed at your own risk. I'm paying them about $8,000/year for all my cars and they are treating me like this...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I don't have any lawyer recommendation.

Are you sure that you have "agreed value" policy? Progressive (ie; Hagerty) have very strict requirements about what is considered a classic car in order to get agreed value policy (as covered by the below link).

It appears that the insurance company is deducting the salvage proceeds and letting you keep the salvaged parts. The payout would be different in this type of scenario (whether that is upto them to do it is probably a matter of interpretation of your policy). The link seems to imply that they can/will let you keep the salvaged parts and just deduct it from the agreed value if they want.

Reactions: eMcL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone had success in dealing with insurance companies on value disputes?

The legal route seems to be my only option at this point.

If any of you have Progressive I can only strongly advise you to find a better insurer.

Progressive had my car for well over two months with ZERO progress on the claim only to come back with a $112,000 value for my fully loaded 16k miles car and declaring it a total loss. The craziest part is that I have a Stated Value Policy with a value of $200,000. I think $112,000 is how much they will get for my slightly damaged car at a salvage auction. They claim to have seven appraisals to confirm this value but are only sharing one. That is most likely the only one with this low value and they most likely own the appraisal company.

I would like to find a lawyer who is very aggressive, has been successful against Progressive, and can produce fast results.

AGAIN, if you have Progressive, proceed at your own risk. I'm paying them about $8,000/year for all my cars and they are treating me like this...

$112k offer is ludicrous but typical insurance shenanigans. Im guessing your policy is typical actual cash value but you list the appx value in record of your policy. Ive had local attorneys reach out to me and ive put packets together for them in similar cases (allthough no mclarens). Typically its an assessment of similar specd cars in an x mile radius and taking an average valuation of asking prices. Depending on your state law, taxes and fees are added as well. In any case youre not gonna get away with $112k offer. Doesnt mean they wont try however

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was told by my new auto insurance agent, in Florida, the maximum payout for any car not covered by an agreed value, is capped at $180k, although IRRC he said Southeast Florida is limited to $150k. Had I renewed with my old company I'd dramatically uninsured for a higher premium.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What's crazy is an agreed value of 200K for a 2019 570S... has the market gone that mad?

Anyway, I believe when I was calling around, the 570S didn't quite make the grade for agreed value policies, and I remember 150K being the max payout for a total loss in CA with most non-classic car insurers 8 talked to (of course, could be lower should an accident occur, up to them at that point)

2012 MP4-12C
2,939 Posts
Wasn't your car salvage title when you bought it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts