McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had an issue with their fuel filler door? When I unlock the car, I can hear the locking mechanism by the fuel door operating but the fuel door won't release. Would like to avoid calling roadside assistance if possible and trying to see if there is a way to either manually release the fuel filler door or reset the locking mechanism?

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try cycling full lock-full unlock with the key fob. Seems to reset the lock and the computer open close flag.

I also had the dealer check it, and they fixed something which made the problem disappear. But the key fob cycling helped until that time.

·
Name: Dimitri
37 Posts
i had a problem with my fuel filler cap, first it was opening alone when unlocking the car, then once it didn't want to open when i wanted to refuel. and there is no emergency unlock. i went directly to the dealer and they replaced the locking system under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Join the club..first time it happened brought it back to the dealership and they solved it. about a month later was at the pump station and it wouldnt open no matter how many times i unlocked and locked the car. immediately drove back to the dealership and what you know tried to open it and it did!

if its in the city im not that worried as the dealership is just nearby. my worry is when i go for long drives out of the country and it doesnt want to open at the fuel stop.

a solution the dealership gave me was to remove the locking pin. however that means regardless whether the car is locked or not anyone can just open the fuel cap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I tried everything I can think of and the fuel door won't open. I'm calling the dealership tomorrow to see if there is a emergency release. If there is, I'll post it so everyone will have it for future reference.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Thanks all. I tried everything I can think of and the fuel door won't open. I'm calling the dealership tomorrow to see if there is a emergency release. If there is, I'll post it so everyone will have it for future reference.
Did you take a peek under the emergency door unlock panel below the fuel door (pg. 177 owners manual); maybe their is something located in there in addition to the emergency door unlock keyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestion Limey. I looked under the panel you mentioned. It's basically three small bolts and the key receptacle for the manual door release. I gave that a try with the physical key to see if it would release the fuel filler door but no luck. I'm calling the dealership this morning when they open and hopefully will have some info shortly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Confirmed with the tech at McLaren of Tampa there is no emergency or manual release for the fuel filler door. There is a aluminum locking pin/cylinder and actuator. If the actuator goes bad or the aluminum rod gets slightly bent, it will no longer function. Sounds like it has happened to a fair amount of cars already based on his familiarity with the issue. The tech said the best way to try to get it to release is to apply light pressure to the fuel filler door and cycle between lock and unlock. Didn't work for mine so roadside assistance is hauling the car 400mi to Philadelphia tomorrow.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Confirmed with the tech at McLaren of Tampa there is no emergency or manual release for the fuel filler door. There is a aluminum locking pin/cylinder and actuator. If the actuator goes bad or the aluminum rod gets slightly bent, it will no longer function. Sounds like it has happened to a fair amount of cars already based on his familiarity with the issue. The tech said the best way to try to get it to release is to apply light pressure to the fuel filler door and cycle between lock and unlock. Didn't work for mine so roadside assistance is hauling the car 400mi to Philadelphia tomorrow.
My Lambos had a lanyard to release the fuel door in emergency situations .... McLaren's system is not too bright, is it?:rolleyes:
I want to know Philly's solution to your problem; I'm sure you will be asking exactly what they did to release the fuel filler flap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tech said it involves removing the rear wheel and fender liner to gain access, then putting the car in "sleep" mode before swapping out the actuator/locking mechanism. It sounded a bit more involved than I thought it would.

Since they already have a manual release for the doors and front boot, I wouldn't think it would be a massive re-engineer to incorporate something like this into the 2014+ cars. Would definitely be a good upgrade.

With all the amazing things the 12c does, I'm willing to overlook a few quirks....especially considering the ear to ear grin it puts on my face every time I mash the loud pedal!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm just wondering if I'd have to go through a similar procedure if this should occur on any of my other putt-putts. The only time you become familiar with any shortcomings on a vehicle is when your confronted with a particular problem, just like this one. I hope Woking can provide us with a viable solution or quick fix in order to overcome future grief. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
862 Posts
The solenoid/actuator failed on my first car and was replaced by the dealer. They didn't use the one they had in stock as apparently McLaren were aware of the problem and were changing it's specification at the time. Hence they shipped a replacement from the UK.

If I remember correctly it was probably July (but may have been slightly later) last year so I'd guess that cars built after then would have the new spec solenoid/actuator and hence be problem free?

The failure was preceded by the locking/unlocking of the filler cap getting louder and louder .... So that's a good sign that you may about to be stranded on a forecourt somewhere.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I wonder what the chances are of this happening. It's something that you will only find out when you are nearly out of gas in the first place, thus you're almost guaranteed to be fucked and in a bad situation.

Just out of curiosity, do any of you guys remember how many miles you had on your cars when it happened? I just bought a used one with about 4K miles on it. It therefor must have been refueled quite a few times.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
173 Posts
This could prove to be very inconvenient and upsetting if one were driving a long distance from home or a dealer..I can only imagine how pi**ed I would be if this happened on a vacation drive...Does anyone know if McLaren has acknowledged the issue and if so is the vin range of cars [ possibly ] effected known ? If so,in my opinion...McLaren should update the cars that could possibly be subject to this condition as a pre-emptive measure. An Update is always better then a recall !
I have found McLaren very receptive to correcting issues...Hopefuly they are following this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My car has 1200 miles on it. Jerry has some good info in the thread above and it sounds like it affected the early build cars. Still think it makes sense to retrofit a emergency release. It would be a straight shot to the fuel filler door from the panel they already have designated for the manual door release.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts