McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
This is a common topic on car forums.
Safe prediction that car prices will be descending and adm’s will disappear.

Used car prices will go back to being less expensive than new orders and the speculators will burnt from previous speculative purchases.

Back to normal

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Things aren’t going back to pre-pandemic normal. Demand is still vastly higher than supply for most hot products. Folks invested in the market are still up between 50% (Dow) and 100% (Nasdaq) from 2018. That’s up 100% AFTER this year’s losses. Unemployment is under 4%. The HENRYs are still making bank.

Some craziness is softening ? Sure. Normal ? Nope. The auto manufacturers love this new circumstance. They’re not going to flood the market to fix the supply imbalance any time soon. Supply chains are still pretty fucked, actually. They couldn’t if they wanted to

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I just missed this one: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...oTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

From what I’ve seen, pricing is beginning to adjust. Should be an interesting second half of the year.
How's the homework assignment going? I don't think there is anything more useless then looking at pricing trends by examining a price drop on a single car at a particular seller.

Without knowing how much someone has purchased a car for, how much it sold for, whether trades were involved, overall condition of the car, mileage, financing, etc., then it is a fairly useless analysis and especially when you are examining one used car with a particular dealer.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I wonder if these supply chain problems really exist in this negative form or if this claim is not simply used to artificially tighten the supply situation and justify higher prices.

I can well imagine that suppliers are starting to think about how they can bring their inventories down again.

Customers in the USA are still waiting for their MC20s to be delivered, while new cars in Switzerland are already being offered on the Internet for less than the list price. The whole situation is a little bit strange…

·
Registered
3 Posts
I work in the motor trade here in the UK and the market is in full downswing. Its gradual at the moment but I think winter will see some bargains. I think you guys in the US are probably a bit behind where we are here but we are now seeing cars sit for extended periods. Hardly any buyers around at the moment!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How's the homework assignment going? I don't think there is anything more useless then looking at pricing trends by examining a price drop on a single car at a particular seller.

Without knowing how much someone has purchased a car for, how much it sold for, whether trades were involved, overall condition of the car, mileage, financing, etc., then it is a fairly useless analysis and especially when you are examining one used car with a particular dealer.
Homework assignment? I have not based my opinion on simply a single car in the market if that’s what you were trying to stipulate. You might have me confused with another poster.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Homework assignment? I have not based my opinion on simply a single car in the market if that’s what you were trying to stipulate. You might have me confused with another poster.
Nope, unmac is just very condescending and probably thinks you are a high school kid just doing research.

I have also seen a drop in prices across the board on used Macs, and have even heard of dealers offering discounts again on new vehicles, so you aren’t wrong. Lots of stagnant inventory out there, both private sales and dealerships.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
From Road & Track:

So while there are now perhaps deals to be had, a softening isn't happening across the board, and if you think now's the time to pick up a rare, classic Ferrari for a song, I'm sorry to say that day may never come. "We deal in a different caliber of car than some of those online auction houses, so we really haven't been affected by it at all," said Gord Duff, head of auctions with RM Sotheby's, in an interview with Road & Track.

RM Sotheby's has seen the same huge increases as the rest of the car market over the last two years, but Duff says its clients aren't really affected by the same factors leading to a softening elsewhere. "We're dealing with people of, you know, a certain type of wealth that those things aren't really, you know, affecting them too much day to day," Duff said. "[Now, they] even more so probably more of a reason to, you know, put their cash into, you know, very blue-chip type vehicles."”

Gonna be a while for deals on 765 spiders and ultimate series cars …

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
From Road & Track:

So while there are now perhaps deals to be had, a softening isn't happening across the board, and if you think now's the time to pick up a rare, classic Ferrari for a song, I'm sorry to say that day may never come. "We deal in a different caliber of car than some of those online auction houses, so we really haven't been affected by it at all," said Gord Duff, head of auctions with RM Sotheby's, in an interview with Road & Track.

RM Sotheby's has seen the same huge increases as the rest of the car market over the last two years, but Duff says its clients aren't really affected by the same factors leading to a softening elsewhere. "We're dealing with people of, you know, a certain type of wealth that those things aren't really, you know, affecting them too much day to day," Duff said. "[Now, they] even more so probably more of a reason to, you know, put their cash into, you know, very blue-chip type vehicles."”

Gonna be a while for deals on 765 spiders and ultimate series cars …
He's talking about a different market segment.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
If subscribed to the lambo forum you would think the sky was falling

to me it’s a few people wishing the car would come
Down to their budget instead of the market completely going south. All the while giving up time which we never get back and sacrificing enjoyment.
To me it looks like the opposite. Cars in my area definitely aren't moving like they were, the wishful thinkers are those thinking that the supercar market is somehow immune.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I look at pricing daily, on multiple McLaren models (12C, 570S, 650S, and 675LT) on multiple sites, as well as 3 of my local dealers (NJ, Philly, CT). I can assure everyone that inventory is stagnant, and prices are dropping. All of then are out of my budget, so @Topcarbon ’s comment doesn’t even apply to me because unless they drop to $50k I can’t afford one anyway. However, many cars I have been lusting after have steadily dropped in price lately.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
To me it looks like the opposite. Cars in my area definitely aren't moving like they were, the wishful thinkers are those thinking that the supercar market is somehow immune.
A softening at the high end and a sharp decline in the middle are two different things. These are different markets and the really hot cars are still commanding premiums over MSRP. ”the markets” isn’t really a thing. There are a lot of markets. I doubt we see a 765LT spider for msrp ever again. Nobody will sell me an gt3 for msrp, let alone a real super car. And the P1m2 allocations will be a brutal massacre.

The hot stuff is still completely out of whack demand / supply.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later