McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spoke to two representatives from my dealer who claims that there is a upward price revision of between 20-30% on all parts with immediate effect from today onwards.:(

Apparently, the rationale behind the price adjustment was to be closer inline with similar marques ... such as Ferrari.:rolleyes:

Congrats to those of us who have already taken delivery and/or confirmed their purchases.;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Oh yeah 1st April joke :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is no joke, there is indeed a price revision.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
No joke.

No joke... steering wheels went from $950 to $5500. Everything else we deal with went up a minimum of 2X.

The MCL parts were a little underpriced before. But now they are even higher than Ferrari or Lamborghini. With the quality of their parts (at least the interior ones we deal with), which is not close to the others, let alone in the same universe as Porsche, the new prices are silly.

Be sure to get that extended warranty is all I can say!

·
Registered
359 Posts
No joke... steering wheels went from $950 to $5500. Everything else we deal with went up a minimum of 2X.

With the quality of their parts not close to the others, let alone in the same universe as Porsche, the new prices are silly.

Ouch!

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is the first time i have heard this. Yesterday a friend told me Ferrari in Singapore has raised the price of options by about 30%. I guess, McLaren does not want to be cheaper in comparison to the competition.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts

The MCL parts were a little underpriced before. But now they are even higher than Ferrari or Lamborghini. With the quality of their parts (at least the interior ones we deal with), which is not close to the others, let alone in the same universe as Porsche, the new prices are silly.

That's a big jump - but Mclaren knows a thing or two about carbon fiber.

The carbon cloth is a non-crimp fabric made of parallel strands that are stitched together.

Each strand is a bundle of 24,000 filaments and IMO the finish is far better than on my 16M.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe a little bit of a cheap shot

I have not checked the price of the exterior CF - although I hear there was a big jump there as well.

I was talking more about my area of expertise - interiors. The McLaren parts are a generation behind the other companies. But then the Lambo parts are really Audi. The Ferrari electrics are 'interesting' but the other parts are pretty nice (458 on). The Porshce parts are industructable - except for their interior CF.

But the 12C has a 'racer' interior I guess. And my comments may have been a little bit of a cheap shot. I was a bit steamed from having to pay $150 for the little square plastic part on the center console yesterday. Then to get the email form my parts source telling me the new cost of the parts we've been buying. Ouch.

With all that being said, the CF finish quality on the Ferrari factory parts is pretty low. We'd never ship any of the parts the way they do. We have a nice little side business of refinishing their parts...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting comparison about the CF amongst the different luxury marques.:eek:
Any idea about the CF components from Aston Martin and Rolls Royce?:eek:

Just send you a pm.:p

·
Registered
218 Posts
i think it's a wrong move by mclaren to increase parts prices to match other competitors, unless they really intend to make more money selling parts and accessories. such expensive prices tends to put off prospective buyers of the cars because maintenance and future spare parts are going to be too expensive. i think it would be great if they can brag that you can get supercar performance, looks and feel at a more reasonable maintenance expense than the competitors.

i was considering an SLR previously but whenever i hear stories about spare parts prices, i tend to shy away from the car. same thing goes with the CGT and LFA. but then again these are very limited production vehicles so they may have some right to charge a high cost.

the MP4 is nothing like that. it's a regular production vehicle they intend to make and sell thousands of units. and if it's difficult to move now with big depreciation, it will become harder when buyers find out maintenance and parts have even increased.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Some years ago, there was an interview published in one of the major U.S. car magazines.questioning the CEO of Mercedes how he intended to keep the marque (relatively) exclusive. His response was that he'd see to it that prices would be raised to reflect the car's exclusivity, not necessarily it's value. That philosophy proved to be a huge mistake. If in fact McLaren is raising prices, I suspect it's an effort to keep the company financially viable.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If in fact McLaren is raising prices, I suspect it's an effort to keep the company financially viable.
Interesting. I wouldn't point it down at financial viability or survival per say, but perhaps profit maximization calculations? Some markets like our Middle Eastern one are high, (almost) no questions asked clients, with our MSO options officially stated as being 3X other markets.

China's opening up, too, with McLaren just releasing a dedicated website.
They do spec quite heavy.

Perhaps a gamble on letting these 'big boys' play hard and cover other costs?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Interesting. I wouldn't point it down at financial viability or survival per say, but perhaps profit maximization calculations? Some markets like our Middle Eastern one are high, (almost) no questions asked clients, with our MSO options officially stated as being 3X other markets.

China's opening up, too, with McLaren just releasing a dedicated website.
They do spec quite heavy.

Perhaps a gamble on letting these 'big boys' play hard and cover other costs?
You Make A good point Ramy,the one department that has expanded out of all expectation is MSO,so the original pricing structure was a little off if you want exclusivity! After all the standard car is pretty exclusive,so if you want to be extra special and you have the cash,why not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts