McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a chat with a very helpful Mclaren chap about why my cars pre cog feels different since the various software injections, upgrades and virus attacks.

He said that the 2013 cars have a different steering wheel pre cog that is controlled by software whereas the 2012 cars have a micro switch that triggers demand to the box control panel. Don't quite understand the difference but stay with it.

So, since the new software the micro switch can be overridden by the software if it determines that the speed being travelled is fast and a quick gear change is needed despite the driver thinking they have pre cogged, ie it will just change gear ultra fast as that is what is needed at speed.

I think this is very noticeable. At speed pre cog seems to have no impact. Now it makes sense as the box knows it needs to change tout sweet.

This happens on up and down changes......what I don't quite understand is that pre cog allows the driver to prepare for altering sequence from up the box to down the box.........so if you are on a road where you make a number of up changes at high speed then know a few down changes are needed before a tight bend then pre cog helps. I can only assume the new software picks up deceleration or slight dive and knows a down change is required.

So the box now has a learning element that alters change speed depending how loony the driver is.

Do the other early adopters find this difference ?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I do understand what you are saying RIC,so if you are a loony driver it helps to have an early car with pe-cog thats also being upgraded,well its win/win for me then;)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The newer paddles make everything simple. Pull right paddle, instant upshift, pull left paddle, instant downshift. Again, why would you want a slow smooth shift when you can have a fast smooth shift?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy, there is loony and there is loony.......or there is MY12 loony and MY13 loony!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Original Pre-Cog is the best. Everybody else has a bastard version of the system demanded by geriatric journalists like Harry Metcalfe, like a dumbed-down point and shoot camera. :p

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6th, keep beating the drum.....I have to agree that the original is best.......gives the car an engaging dimension.

I can see one of your ancestors racing in those large log boats, stood up front beating the drum as the 30 odd oarsman drive the boat forwards to the mantra ' pre cog is best,boom, boom,boom, pre cog is best, boom,boom,boom" as they sweep past the Ferrari log and win the race........exciting stuff...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts