McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get an opinion. I paid about $650 + tax for my pretrack inspection and expect to pay the same for my post track inspection. Does this sound about right? Seems a little high to me? They charge $219 +tax per hour and said the inspections are 3 hours each.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just wanted to get an opinion. I paid about $650 + tax for my pretrack inspection and expect to pay the same for my post track inspection. Does this sound about right? Seems a little high to me? They charge $219 +tax per hour and said the inspections are 3 hours each.

which car? which country? did they do brake flush?, etc. or just looked the car over?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USA in Palm Beach Florida. They gave me a checklist but can’t seem to find where I placed it now. I’m pretty sure they just checked the car over. The list was two pages long and seemed in depth but all in all I don’t believe it was anything more than just looking at everything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
675LT coupe

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
675LT coupe
I'm going from memory but I belive I was paying $595 or close to something like that (including shipping back and forth to dealer (about 35 miles each way). The transport is something our local dealer does for a lot of us.

I believe 720s is $350 and includes brake flush. The 675 might have included a brake flush too.

My dealer told me that it takes longer to do in the 675 and hence the price difference.

I only do pre-track inspection.

There is a check list somewhere on the forums of the items that need to be looked at for track inspections.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They did not flush the brake fluid so to the best of my knowledge the car has OEM fluid. I had no issues with braking whatsoever though. Car was solid as a rock

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
They did not flush the brake fluid so to the best of my knowledge the car has OEM fluid. I had no issues with braking whatsoever though. Car was solid as a rock
You might want to check with user zombie. He posted a track inspection checklist a while ago. It seems as long as the check list is performed (doesn't have to be mclaren) then you're all good from a warranty point of view.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I understand that McLaren wants you to do these inspections. Clearly for a financial perspective and also for safety reasons. What I do not understand is at what point will they void a warranty claim of a pre-track inspection was not done?
If one of your shocks started to leak oil... will they say it’s not covered under warranty because you didn’t do a pre track inspection? I don’t really know how they can enforce this.
What if someone had mechanical trouble at the track.... how will McLaren know that it happened at the track or what?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I understand that McLaren wants you to do these inspections. Clearly for a financial perspective and also for safety reasons. What I do not understand is at what point will they void a warranty claim of a pre-track inspection.
EDIT: As per the FAQ (see @ZombiePhysicist's link below), unlike the original warranty, the ESC excludes cars that are tracked - the only exception being McLaren-organised events, with no mention (that I saw - please read your documents yourself) of track inspections. Dealers will still be happy to take your money for inspections though.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,095 Posts
You might want to check with user zombie. He posted a track inspection checklist a while ago. It seems as long as the check list is performed (doesn't have to be mclaren) then you're all good from a warranty point of view.
https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/52265-track-day-pre-post-track-checklists-warranty.html#post1088673

That post above has a lot of info about track days and checklists. It’s a link you can find in the faqs, item 4.0:

https://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-lounge/63273-faqs-common-mclaren-questions-problems-fixes.html#post1257009

·
Registered
274 Posts
Find a local Performace shop that tunes on McLarens, I’m in south Florida too i would sugggest Billet Performace they should be way cheaper than dealer for a pre track inspection.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Gotta say the dealer is slow rolling that inspection. Mc Charlotte does mine in about 90 minutes. If they are doing a post track and a pre track then it is a little more, but 3 hours to run a check list seems a touch excessive. Also explain that since you have an LT and you will be tracking it a bunch, then most likely need brakes or some such parts, maybe they should cut you a break on the pricing of the inspection. BMW and Porsche shops generally discount track inspections as they sometimes lead to more work. But if you want to keep the warranty coverage get the pre and post done. It is cheap insurance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts