McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I was informed a couple of weeks ago that the gearbox software now has a 'learning' element which will speed up changes if the driver is blatting about, ie going for it.

This then changes gear as fast as the programme will allow and as fast as pre cog.

Pre cog is still present but in 2012 cars is triggered by the paddles hitting the electrical switches but on 2013 cars the switch is software managed and the switches are different...........bit wooly there but 2013 cars have different steering wheels according to Mclaren.

·
Registered
122 Posts
RIC. The pre cog learning will pick up the 'shifting style' then adapt to it. If I read various threads on memory this will then 'wipe' when the car is switched off ...... I'm not sure the car is advanced enough to 'learn' then adapt the car shifting to the drivers style for a longer period, AI, if you dare say that !

Once my car eventually arrives shall look forward to educating it on lousy shifts at the beginning!

·
Registered
367 Posts
When I drove a 2012 I actually failed to grab a shift, that's how much pressure it took. In retrospect that was fine, just took a learning curve. The new system takes a soft touch for the Pre-, then comes a loud artificial click, as if the rpm change didn't audibly inform the driver. I don't know what the power modes do to change this. I pull the paddles slow like a rifle trigger all the time. At city traffic speeds it fends off boredom in a quite computerized car. And that way you get both smoothness and immediacy without being on redline, ie 95% of driving.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
When I drove a 2012 I actually failed to grab a shift, that's how much pressure it took. In retrospect that was fine, just took a learning curve. The new system takes a soft touch for the Pre-, then comes a loud artificial click, as if the rpm change didn't audibly inform the driver. I don't know what the power modes do to change this. I pull the paddles slow like a rifle trigger all the time. At city traffic speeds it fends off boredom in a quite computerized car. And that way you get both smoothness and immediacy without being on redline, ie 95% of driving.
Hey ergo another strange but true 12C ownership fact: The original paddles loosen up over time. At around the 1 year mark, the effort required to pull became significantly less, as if the spring became worked in. I actually inquired about replacing them back to delivery spec!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Hey ergo another strange but true 12C ownership fact: The original paddles loosen up over time. At around the 1 year mark, the effort required to pull became significantly less, as if the spring became worked in. I actually inquired about replacing them back to delivery spec!
6th, maybe your fingers have become stronger?:D

·
Owner
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After reading all reply's I am still not sure about Pre Cog when I drove an early 2012 you gave the paddle a half pull to let it know what gear you were going to use next, now on my updated 2012 is there still a half pull but not really noticeable I don't feel any detent, is pre cog gone is it just software now and if so how does it know if you want an up shift or down shift next. How about a simple explanation of what we have now if anyone really knows.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
After reading all reply's I am still not sure about Pre Cog when I drove an early 2012 you gave the paddle a half pull to let it know what gear you were going to use next, now on my updated 2012 is there still a half pull but not really noticeable I don't feel any detent, is pre cog gone is it just software now and if so how does it know if you want an up shift or down shift next. How about a simple explanation of what we have now if anyone really knows.
When a car is upgraded to the new software and new hp, that is it. If a customer wants the newer steering wheel with the lighter action, that is extra. It is not part of the upgrade.

·
Owner
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When a car is upgraded to the new software and new hp, that is it. If a customer wants the newer steering wheel with the lighter action, that is extra. It is not part of the upgrade.
So you are saying the pre cog is still there just harder to feel when pulling or pushing on the paddles, or are you saying it is gone without the new steering wheel?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Pre cog is driven by a steering wheel micro-switch ,activated by the paddles, on 2012 cars. Remember the paddles have to held at the indent to trigger and hold pre cog.

The 2013 cars have a revised steering wheel with a switch that is different......it is a signal sending software switch......this I don't quite understand. But pre cog works by holding the wheel at the indent but is over ridden if a fast gear change is called for by fast speed.

The 2012 cars are considered faster and their owners privileged .

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So you are saying the pre cog is still there just harder to feel when pulling or pushing on the paddles, or are you saying it is gone without the new steering wheel?
The car I drove at Exotic's Racing had the new steering wheel. I did not feel it, it is gone IMO. My car has pre-cog though, and I will be getting rid of it soon. It is easy enough to figure out, but takes extra time and effort, so I would rather not have it.

All you have to do is get in a newer coupe, pull either paddle, if there is no effort, car does not have it. It is easy to tell the difference.

·
Owner
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car I drove at Exotic's Racing had the new steering wheel. I did not feel it, it is gone IMO. My car has pre-cog though, and I will be getting rid of it soon. It is easy enough to figure out, but takes extra time and effort, so I would rather not have it.

All you have to do is get in a newer coupe, pull either paddle, if there is no effort, car does not have it. It is easy to tell the difference.
My point exactly my dealer on delivery when I asked about it said it is gone, and I feel nothing there is no halfway, that is why I keep asking I believe it is just gone on 2012 with update. Yet I keep reading posts that are misleading. I think people found it confusing and hard to work so it was eliminated.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
My point exactly my dealer on delivery when I asked about it said it is gone, and I feel nothing there is no halfway, that is why I keep asking I believe it is just gone on 2012 with update. Yet I keep reading posts that are misleading. I think people found it confusing and hard to work so it was eliminated.

That's interesting. When I first used my MY12 I thought pre cog was ho hum. Then I started to play with it and found it helpful and engaging . However I can understand the view that 'why not just change gear fast and keep it simple'

Well in DCT boxes the next gear is set.....the car software has to predict if the call is for a higher or lower gear.....it has to make a choice, if that choice is wrong then it takes more time to select the alternative.............per cog gives this control to the driver but I'm sure software can sort this out?

Pre cog is 'nice to have' not 'need to have'.

In time the 2012 cars will become sort after for per-cog.........around 2025.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
The best way I can describe the original Pre-Cog with detent paddles, is, imagine you are a sniper running frantically to your shooting perch. You are late, maybe the line up at Starbucks was too long, but in any case, now you are sprinting through crowds of unruly people, rifle bag bouncing wildly against your back. Okay, you're not going to make it - have to set up shop halfway up the hill. Chance you might be seen, but gotta get the job done. You're breathing in big lungfuls, must get oxygen, then try to calm the heart rate and settle down. Sh!t !! - you've been spotted, bystanders start shrieking and running every which way. In the distance, you see the authorities turning in your direction and coming. Still, must complete the directive. Focus on the target, slow breaths now. Drop the heart's pulse, prime the trigger's bite point as gently as possible. It's chaos around you, but you need tranquility, utter concentration and milli-metric precision. You have the target locked and you are literally within a human hair of actuating the trigger - no, less than that, a quarter of a hair. The din of your manic environment has reached a fever pitch now, but success requires that you are completely ONE with your equipment; the final action must be telepathic - a direct signal from your brain to the end result.

That is original Pre-Cog, or at least you get closer to that with it, vs without it. The MP4 is a ferocious beast; when the boost is surging and building on top of itself and it's all you can do to keep the road ahead in focus while you try to feel the grip of each tire clawing at the tarmac, the detent gives you hair trigger control over the torque curve. Even with so much going on, it allows you to key in on the most minute nuances of wheelspin, drawing you ever nearer to a melding of man & machine. I admit that I did not get it on either of my two test drives, nor even after my first week with the car. But now that I do have it, I never want to give it up. I'll even spec it on my next McLaren, if it is in any way possible.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
So then you updated to the 2013 spec steering wheel, to keep pre cog active
Not sure if you are talking to me, but no, I still have the original 2012 spec steering wheel. The paddles have the detent. Even after the big 10.2 upgrade, Pre-Cog exists, and can be manually controlled if you have the original paddles.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So then you updated to the 2013 spec steering wheel, to keep pre cog active
I don't know why you are having such a hard time. 2013 spec steering wheels do not have pre-cog. Would you rather make 2 pulls, one 1/2 pull and then another 1/2 pull to get an instantaneous gear shift, or 1 1/2 pull? The newer paddles don't have pre-cog because you only have to pull a little bit to get the click, not a lot like the older paddles. Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, Nissan have no pre-cog. It really has no use.

If you are buying a newer car, and you still want the older hard to pull paddles, let me know, and I will sell you my old steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts