McLaren Life banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at the Wilton House Supercars event Allan McNish, the driver who won this years 2013 Le Mans, gave an informative and entertaining account of the race.

Interestingly he zoned in on gear selection speed and said at 200 mph 1/10th of a second changing gear took 100 metres........100 metres with no drive.......critical for maintaining lap times at umpty changes per lap. He and the team averaged 140 mph over the 24 hours so had to exceed 200 mph to achieve a result.

On the way home, in auto mode, following a 5am morning departure ( my excuse for using auto ) I noticed a real lag in gear changes so I pre-cogged and , hey presto, astonishing fast changes.

Pre cog is still with our early cars and we have drive so much faster as a result......wonderful car.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
581 has it, I love it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Up to what VIN did they retain it. I do not have it at no 1273.

Thanks.

Keith.
Just because you don't have the decent, doesn't mean you don't have precog.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Yesterday at the Wilton House Supercars event Allan McNish, the driver who won this years 2013 Le Mans, gave an informative and entertaining account of the race.

Interestingly he zoned in on gear selection speed and said at 200 mph 1/10th of a second changing gear took 100 metres........100 metres with no drive.......critical for maintaining lap times at umpty changes per lap. He and the team averaged 140 mph over the 24 hours so had to exceed 200 mph to achieve a result.

On the way home, in auto mode, following a 5am morning departure ( my excuse for using auto ) I noticed a real lag in gear changes so I pre-cogged and , hey presto, astonishing fast changes.

Pre cog is still with our early cars and we have drive so much faster as a result......wonderful car.
That's a great story - luckily I have pre cog and door swipe!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts