McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had a conversation with my McLaren dealership and they recommended to NOT put PPF over top of Volcano Orange (650S Spider) paint. The reason being is that the PPF would dull the sparkliness of the Volcano Orange. Fact or fiction? Has anyone put PPF (specifically front area of car) on their Volcano Orange Mac and seen a difference?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
So had a conversation with my McLaren dealership and they recommended to NOT put PPF over top of Volcano Orange (650S Spider) paint. The reason being is that the PPF would dull the sparkliness of the Volcano Orange. Fact or fiction? Has anyone put PPF (specifically front area of car) on their Volcano Orange Mac and seen a difference?
My 12C has PPF over Volcano Orange. I can't see the difference between the parts with / without PPF.

·
Registered
935 Posts
That is horrible advice. I would recommend full body clear bra on volcano orange, You can't touch up a three stage paint like this. It does not dull the paint or atleast Expel doesn't. Also PPF offers serious paint protection.
Right! On the complex paints, you can't get enough protection. The appearance is always slightly altered by PPF.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't agree with the dealership on this one either. I had to get some parts painted so I had to match my paint "Pearl White" with the section without the XPEL on it. Get the parts painted and then covered so the rest matched. There is a difference but not enough difference to risk not using the film.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know owners with PPF on VO and they have no issues. I have POF on papaya spark and it doesn’t take away from the color or pearl at all

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have talked to/dealt with 7 Mclaren dealers and I am yet to find one that isn't insulting, especially the commissioned service "advisors". And when you call them out because you ask a valid, educated question you know the answer to (which BTW, is always a great way to check the integrity in these guys), they either become defensive, pissed, or try to pile on more BS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perhaps I'm naive but I expected more from McLaren dealers. In my search for a car, I got the entire range of usual car dealer experiences, from listing of sold cars, outright BS, ignorance and apathy. I can say that I had only 1 pleasant interaction with a dealer, who after listening to what I wanted, actually told me that their car was not for me! BTW, that was Randy at McLaren Newport Beach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Two more points from experience and that grind me whe we get advice like this dealer gave you:

What would you prefer (IF it were ever even needed):
Replacing the dull PPF, or
Painting to blend

If you want to see the difference in paint, simply look at one that isn't wrapped. I have seen unbelievable fade in them.

I have both Volcano Orange and Volcano Red. On Volcano Orange there are small areas not wrapped and No difference in paint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Two more points from experience and that grind me whe we get advice like this dealer gave you:

What would you prefer (IF it were ever even needed):
Replacing the dull PPF, or
Painting to blend

If you want to see the difference in paint, simply look at one that isn't wrapped. I have seen unbelievable fade in them.

I have both Volcano Orange and Volcano Red. On Volcano Orange there are small areas not wrapped and No difference in paint.
The Volcano Orange car I got has 1400 miles and no PPF. First think I did yesterday was put the PPF on entire front including A pillars, rockers, roof and rear spoiler. I'll take my chances with any fade issues!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 720S with full Xpel ultimate plus ppf over the entire car. I have never had any comments that the paint is dull in any way. In full sun its still crazy.
No way I would risk DD this car without PPF. Paintwork is expensive and the turn around time for getting paintwork done is very very slow. Getting paint from McLaren doesnt take that long but there are limited shops that I would trust to OEM spray/ back spray these cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 720S with full Xpel ultimate plus ppf over the entire car. I have never had any comments that the paint is dull in any way. In full sun its still crazy.
No way I would risk DD this car without PPF. Paintwork is expensive and the turn around time for getting paintwork done is very very slow. Getting paint from McLaren doesnt take that long but there are limited shops that I would trust to OEM spray/ back spray these cars.
Agreed, avoid paint shot is the goal!
Here's mine after PPF install.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 650S
5 Posts
I can echo the responses. I have volcano orange 650S with EXPEL over nearly the entire vehicle. Scraped a wheel with the color and had a hard time ever getting it repaired/painted. Can’t even imagine dealing with a paint chip
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

1 - 20 of 20 Posts