McLaren Life banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I recently picked up a 2019 McLaren 570s Spider - love it to death. But there's a problem I'd love your advice on: I live in downtown Toronto in a condo, and in the underground parking garage, there aren't any power outlets for me to trickle charge my car when not driven.

Has anyone run into this issue before? And has a portable power station to trickle charge your McLaren ever been considered or tried? If yes, what products/brands would you recommend? What other solutions of condo dwellers turned to for trickle charging their supercars?

Thanks!
J

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hey there, I recently picked up a 2019 McLaren 570s Spider - love it to death. But there's a problem I'd love your advice on: I live in downtown Toronto in a condo, and in the underground parking garage, there aren't any power outlets for me to trickle charge my car when not driven.

Has anyone run into this issue before? And has a portable power station to trickle charge your McLaren ever been considered or tried? If yes, what products/brands would you recommend? What other solutions of condo dwellers turned to for trickle charging their supercars?

Thanks!
J
How long do you plan to leave it? They make portable batteries with AC plug adapters you can leave it in the trunk for your OEM tender. They r probably good for a few days as the draw of the tender is low. But then you would need to lug the battery to the condo and charge that.

maybe easier to drive few laps once a
Week in the Garage with the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long do you plan to leave it? They make portable batteries with AC plug adapters you can leave it in the trunk for your OEM tender. They r probably good for a few days as the draw of the tender is low. But then you would need to lug the battery to the condo and charge that.

maybe easier to drive few laps once a
Week in the Garage with the car.
Sometimes, will need to leave it parked for anywhere from 1-2 weeks, because when it snows, it snows hard, and then the days after that is met with salt and slush on the road (which are bad for the car as well). And your suggestion of portable battery is exactly what I was thinking about. Any particular batteries/power stations you'd recommend? No clue what watt-hour capacity I should be looking for..

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Sometimes, will need to leave it parked for anywhere from 1-2 weeks, because when it snows, it snows hard, and then the days after that is met with salt and slush on the road (which are bad for the car as well). And your suggestion of portable battery is exactly what I was thinking about. Any particular batteries/power stations you'd recommend? No clue what watt-hour capacity I should be looking for..
Nothing particular because of cost vs size vs weight.
looks like a bunch in the 200USD range that are
Labeled as portable battery generators. Camping gear or computer back up battery. I’d prob stay away on those cheap made in China ones cuz they might catch on fire lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing particular because of cost vs size vs weight.
looks like a bunch in the 200USD range that are
Labeled as portable battery generators. Camping gear or computer back up battery. I’d prob stay away on those cheap made in China ones cuz they might catch on fire lol.
Haha.. makes sense. Cool, will look into it. Thanks a lot! Super helpful. And glad to join the community :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
As long as everything is working as designed (no extra power draws), and the car is powered-down, 2 weeks should be fine - I've left my 12C for that before, with no issues. You can always periodically check the battery level.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you think its secure, I would opt for leaving the extended battery OUTSIDE the car if at all possible. Otherwise I think the plan is sound.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you into any power tools? For Milwaukee they have this inverter that is powered by their batteries so you can just swap out the battery when needed.

There are also other brands available compatible with their respective batteries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you into any power tools? For Milwaukee they have this inverter that is powered by their batteries so you can just swap out the battery when needed.

There are also other brands available compatible with their respective batteries.
thanks! Will check them out

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The charger stay warm whilst in operation. Don’t expect a back up/ start up battery to last much more than 1 or 2 days at most.
Best would be to plug the charging station directly into charge port and let car suck off of it.
This might add a week at most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[UPDATE AFTER USE]

I've bought a portable power station and tried charging my 570s today, and it works really well.

This is the one I bought: Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 500, 518Wh Outdoor Solar Generator Mobile Lithium Battery Pack with 110V/500W AC Outlet (Solar Panel Not Included) for Road Trip Camping, Outdoor Adventure: Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

My 570s was at "16 days remaining" of battery this morning when I plugged the 100% charged portable power station in. After 7 hours, I checked again, and the car said "50 days remaining" and the power station was at 74% power left. Which means, it has more than enough capacity to fully charge the 570s in one go.

This saves HUGE headaches for me, as I was constantly under pressure to drive the car 2-3 times a week to maintain the battery, even when road conditions are bad (e.g., we get lots of ice and snow up here in Canada).

Hopefully helpful for others who may not have easy access to a power outlet (e.g., if they live in a condo, like me)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts