McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside of the Porsche musuem in Stuttgart, I simply cannot imagine any place that would be more worthy of being called that than the storage room at Porsche Reading. I was there today with a friend who was picking up a car and when peering round the back of the workshop, to my absolute astonishment spotted no less than 10 CGTs and 2 959s...

While I knew that Reading is the only service centre for the CGT, have to admit I certainly did not expect to see something like that. Quite an amazing sight to see all those cars in a single place and probably detrimental to my bank balance as it has rather lit my existing obsession to get a cgt so be warned and tread carefully if ever around that place :cool:!

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Its a great place isnt it ? My Carrera gt and 993 rsr are currently there , you may have seen them . (both black , 993 has gt2 style arches ) . Putting a few other bits there soon , great service and very safe from an insurance point of view .highly recommended !

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simply amazing that place. I did indeed see your cars! Certainly the rsr as that was the only there and about 4-5 black cgts. Could spend forever poring over them to be honest and practically had to be dragged out.

Fingers crossed, hopefully i might in a position to get one later in the year around august..... if they can find me a somewhat well used example and have a spot open for me to store it. If you don't mind, nearer then if i am looking likely to go ahead, might have a few questions about the car/storage process.....

Thanks.

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Simply amazing that place. I did indeed see your cars! Certainly the rsr as that was the only there and about 4-5 black cgts. Could spend forever poring over them to be honest and practically had to be dragged out.

Fingers crossed, hopefully i might in a position to get one later in the year around august..... if they can find me a somewhat well used example and have a spot open for me to store it. If you don't mind, nearer then if i am looking likely to go ahead, might have a few questions about the car/storage process.....

Thanks.
I have done 30 000 miles in 2 cgt about 50/50 road and track , to me they are the best car ever made . Anything I can help you with re the car , Porsche reading , storage , set up , the clutch , tyres etc etc I'm at your service mate ( I've made all the mistakes and wasted all the cash no need for you to ) . I'm so glad there's a fellow Cgt fan on here .
Good luck , I keep my fingers crossed for you , Cgt is the dragon and Excalibur all rolled into one . Nothing comes close to the thrills , the lifetime it will take to learn that car , the way it communicates , the noise and yes I know it's a cliche ; the emotion . I really really love that car , its a masterpiece . Also they slide (contrary to what people tell you !)
I run her on 19inch bbs sometimes so I can fit cups and then it annihilates everything road based and chashes down things it has no right to .
It's a lion among pussy cats .
Here are some gratuitous Cgt pics

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have done 30 000 miles in 2 cgt about 50/50 road and track , to me they are the best car ever made . Anything I can help you with re the car , Porsche reading , storage , set up , the clutch , tyres etc etc I'm at your service mate ( I've made all the mistakes and wasted all the cash no need for you to ) . I'm so glad there's a fellow Cgt fan on here .
Good luck , I keep my fingers crossed for you , Cgt is the dragon and Excalibur all rolled into one . Nothing comes close to the thrills , the lifetime it will take to learn that car , the way it communicates , the noise and yes I know it's a cliche ; the emotion . I really really love that car , its a masterpiece . Also they slide (contrary to what people tell you !)
I run her on 19inch bbs sometimes so I can fit cups and then it annihilates everything road based and chashes down things it has no right to .
It's a lion among pussy cats , I love my 12c but its a playstation game in comparison ( which is not always a bad thing ) .

Beautiful cars and a wonderful life Wtdoom, good for you I'm sure it is well earned and deserved. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'll never forget the experience of seeing one in the heart of downtown Toronto years ago. Full chat, first thre gears and that sound bouncing off the skyscrapers. It felt like the hounds of hell running rampant through the city during the apocalypse. I love Porsches.

Fantastic car, Wtdoom.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hadn't realised Porsche Reading was/is the official service centre for the CGT. Who runs the dealership? I think it's out of the reach of the Dick Lovett empire that covers where I live. Speaking of which DL Ferrari have a nice white CGT, which was tucked away in the service area. Far more interesting that most the Ferrari's they had!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a lion among pussy cats .
That is a smashing looking car and it is always great to see the car being used as intended. The CGT for me is the last great analogue supercar made with no compromise, and quite probably is the last of it's kind that we will never see being built again.

Very kind of you to offer to help, is really appreciated. Will definitely be in touch later in the year...

Many thanks again.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I hadn't realised Porsche Reading was/is the official service centre for the CGT. Who runs the dealership?
It's actually run/owned by Porsche cars GB, they also have there head office alongside of the dealership.
I did have some contacts if anyone ever fancied doing a group tour around the centre, they have the 991 register there next Saturday.
As mentioned, there is always some amazing cars to see and spot there... a road going GT1 was there last time!:eek: - I seemed to remember it was one of only three...

·
Administrator
2,745 Posts
I hadn't realised Porsche Reading was/is the official service centre for the CGT. Who runs the dealership? I think it's out of the reach of the Dick Lovett empire that covers where I live. Speaking of which DL Ferrari have a nice white CGT, which was tucked away in the service area. Far more interesting that most the Ferrari's they had!
I had a few discussions on the white CGT earlier this year. Seems like a good straight car.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
The CGT for me is the last great analogue supercar made with no compromise, and quite probably is the last of it's kind that we will never see being built again.
They do seem like wonderful machines and quite tempting as where I live depreciation has not been kind. Values somewhere around 40% off MSRP, or $230K loss. Even pristine examples are sitting for months unless priced very competitively. Just shows how fickle this market can be. I tend to agree that they are the end of an era. But so far it seems enthusiasts are happy to let it end. A friend said some very recent transactions point to a bottom and maybe even a slight bounce, which is promising. But then again he also said the clutch is a royal PITA in traffic, on hills and when backing out of parking spots, etc. Maybe that is somewhat to blame for the market's reaction, as some owners are too eager to let the car go because of usability issues?

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Beautiful cars and a wonderful life Wtdoom, good for you I'm sure it is well earned and deserved. Cheers.....??
Thank you you are very kind .
When I met my wife I could only afford a poster of a cgt . When I first bought one I tried to pass it off as a Boxster with a Gemballa kit , I got away with it for 2 days ...:D

I'll never forget the experience of seeing one in the heart of downtown Toronto years ago. Full chat, first thre gears and that sound bouncing off the skyscrapers. It felt like the hounds of hell running rampant through the city during the apocalypse. I love Porsches.

Fantastic car, Wtdoom.
Thanks mate , they sound fantastic dont they ?

Yes Reading is the Zentrum . The CGT trained guys are only at reading ( that and the 959 along with the GT1 ).
The good thing is they know every single UK car because of this .
The service you get is fantastic , I still get Goodwill gestures from them after all these years . Better than any warranty .

That is a smashing looking car and it is always great to see the car being used as intended. The CGT for me is the last great analogue supercar made with no compromise, and quite probably is the last of it's kind that we will never see being built again.

Very kind of you to offer to help, is really appreciated. Will definitely be in touch later in the year...

Many thanks again.
Your welcome mate , anytime .

It's actually run/owned by Porsche cars GB, they also have there head office alongside of the dealership.
I did have some contacts if anyone ever fancied doing a group tour around the centre, they have the 991 register there next Saturday.
As mentioned, there is always some amazing cars to see and spot there... a road going GT1 was there last time!:eek: - I seemed to remember it was one of only three...
exactly

I had a few discussions on the white CGT earlier this year. Seems like a good straight car.
it is a good car .
Im sure you know the good thing with the CGT is it comes apart completely and is very easy to spray . May owners change the cars colour via Porsche reading and then change it back for resale . I resprayed the whole car for about 9k at Porsche reading .

They do seem like wonderful machines and quite tempting as where I live depreciation has not been kind. Values somewhere around 40% off MSRP, or $230K loss. Even pristine examples are sitting for months unless priced very competitively. Just shows how fickle this market can be. I tend to agree that they are the end of an era. But so far it seems enthusiasts are happy to let it end. A friend said some very recent transactions point to a bottom and maybe even a slight bounce, which is promising. But then again he also said the clutch is a royal PITA in traffic, on hills and when backing out of parking spots, etc. Maybe that is somewhat to blame for the market's reaction, as some owners are too eager to let the car go because of usability issues?
Interesting they seem to be worse off in the USA . I think its probably ground clearance issues .
Not meaning to be rude to your friend but he needs to drive the car properly , I drive mine regularly in city traffic ( London , Rome etc ) and never have any problems . The thing is few owners trust the anti stall , you need to let the clutch out and wait for the car to move ( it will NOT stall ) owners either do not do this or come on the throttle too soon and not hard enough . Just touching the throttle is enough to cancel the anti stall and then the car will stall because they have not applied enough throttle to move forward , just enough to cancel the anti stall .
Using this method the car is a pussycat in traffic and the clutch lasts for up to 100 000 .
Sorry if I didnt explain that very well its harder to write than do .

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
No problem mate, yes he did explain the entire procedure and he is overall very positive on the car. BTW he can also drive, so that is not an issue. It was more the time required to let the electric assist do its thing that can make certain situations inconvenient.

To be clear, I am referring to the Canadian market, although US has seen big depreciation too, despite a lower starting MSRP.

While I get the clutch (after all I'm the guy bitching about people not giving Pre-Cog and the door touch sensors a fair chance), it is unfortunate how the most trivial of things can hold back the market. Sometimes it is high maintenance costs (or even just a false perception of such) that keeps demand at bay. In this case, I can see how the clutch getting in the way of some owners being able to enjoy the car to the fullest 100% of the time might make them willing to part with it. There always seems to be more CGTs available for sale in North America than I really believe ought to be, which is perplexing.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
6th: I was considering a CGT when I decided to go with a 12C. The CGT prices bottomed out at $300K for mint cars.... since then they have slowly been creeking up. Low mileage, Up to date 4 year service cars are in the $350K-$400K range with an original MSRP of $449 - $460K. So resale has been quite strong in the past year or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts