McLaren Life banner

41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
The CGT is just such a special car. True analog legend. Of all the road cars I own the CGT is without a doubt the most entertaining experience. Your always driving a "race" car once behind the wheel. Just from the exercise to put the car in motion required to properly care for the clutch prepares you for something special. ...
DLC - could not agree more with your post.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow, and you seem overly sensitive too... just saying. :p

Yes, I was talking about you ( shocking, I'm sure ) and while this is the 918 thread we've seen most of your comments appear in threads that should have nothing to do with a Porsche and your commentary being made specifically about Porsches and just how wonderful they are. "Rabid" is a fairly good descriptor in my view.

As for my participation on any of the more that 100 other forums I have an account on, or more specifically FerrariChat which I assume you are referring to, I have been a lurker there since at least 2003 and a registered and paying yearly subscriber since January 2004. It might surprise you, but my primary motivation for being there is that I am also a fan of some Ferraris ( imagine that? ) and while I do occasionally try to keep the facts straight when the topics stray more towards my areas of interest regarding McLaren that is hardly been my only activity in the 5,000+ posts I have made there in the past decade. That evidence certainly seems counter to your existence here in my opinion, that's all.

>8^)
ER
Wow/SMH!

You just keep embarrassing and contradicting yourself on this and other sites (in such futile attempts). And the sad part is, you probably don't even know it, or care if you do. Anyway, that's your problem. Some of us had the holidays, family, work, the weekend, and other things to attend to.

I've already lost a few brain cells even responding this.

Later.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was responding to the post that asked if we believed there may be pending performance upgrades after distribution of the P1. My response was submitted referring to the mechanical architecture it was siting on and how easy optimizations could be made to such a platform.

CP_MP4 made the presentation of the mechanical platform as listed:

-turbocharged engine
-Tenneco suspension
-electric drive via gearbox

And another big one is its aero features. If the numbers can be believed the 1350 lbs. of downforce is a big number.

I have no doubt that LaF is going to be insane. And everytime I see video of it, it is looking better and better.

With regards to your post I will make these comments.

Your right: We haven't seen the final products from Ferrari and Porsche is getting optimized every day but from what we do know they have elected NA engines. In an open competition I think that most would agree McLaren with its turbochargers is not a fair fight. Forced induction motors have huge power capabilities really just limited to the design strength of its mechanical components. One disadvantage is their low rpm response due to turbo lag which is where McLaren is implementing their Hybrid "stuff". So effectively, their system has NA response with big high end power on the top. The best of both worlds wouldn't even you agree?

Their suspension system has a huge range of adjustment which adjusting can be made by rather quick software modifications. Having the ability to control their nitrogen delivery instantly is another feature that either LaF or 918 possess, unless you know differently? I believe their system may be a more active control. Haven't seen the final Ferrari product though.

These "hardware" systems, with their ability to be modified rather quickly, makes it easy for McLaren to deliver vehicle optimizing to all their clients in the future. Via disk.

Like you, I am really looking forward to everyones final products. Put who says its over once their delivered. These are tremendous cars built by tremendously talented people. I am just glad we can enjoy, discuss, sometimes (mostly :)) disagree and ultimately get to experience these incredible machines. For the petrol heads. ALL GOOD
Good post/response.

Yeah, I think the LaFerrari will be excellent. And they've had the benefit of watching the others, so who knows what they're doing as we write? :D

Obviously, Porsche's always going to keep working hard, and has made the 918 upgradeable for the future.

Unlike you, I'm not really big on the Turbos. I think when you pay this much more for a car, it should have a race care, race car like, or exotic NA engine. More forced induction on the P1 may only lessen it's appeal to many buyers in this group. That's was my main feeling with the Turbo's for the P1 when you made your post (though I never addressed it) in the first place.

The other thing of course is budget. Will McLaren try to advance the P1 beyond a few tweaks (despite it's potential upgradeablility), depending on how much more allotted money they have/planned to spend on this car?

Of course I don't have the answers. We'll just have to wait and see?

Thanks Mate

Good luck to all the vehicles and companies involved.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Good post/response.

Yeah, I think the LaFerrari will be excellent. And they've had the benefit of watching the others, so who knows what they're doing as we write? :D

Obviously, Porsche's always going to keep working hard, and has made the 918 upgradeable for the future.

Unlike you, I'm not really big on the Turbos. I think when you pay this much more for a car, it should have a race care, race car like, or exotic NA engine. More forced induction on the P1 may only lessen it's appeal to many buyers in this group. That's was my main feeling with the Turbo's for the P1 when you made your post (though I never addressed it) in the first place.

The other thing of course is budget. Will McLaren try to advance the P1 beyond a few tweaks (despite it's potential upgradeablility), depending on how much more allotted money they have/planned to spend on this car?

Of course I don't have the answers. We'll just have to wait and see?

Thanks Mate

Good luck to all the vehicles and companies involved.
Carneister,

There's a small race series that travels the world ... It's a few geeks and so forth and a few chaps that are reasonably handy behind the wheel... I heard that it's the most technologically advanced in the world... I think I picked up that the regs have changed. And that now turbo charging and energy regen is mandatory. I think it's called F1..

Do please come out of the dark ages. :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Carneister,

There's a small race series that travels the world ... It's a few geeks and so forth and a few chaps that are reasonably handy behind the wheel... I heard that it's the most technologically advanced in the world... I think I picked up that the regs have changed. And that now turbo charging and energy regen is mandatory. I think it's called F1..

Do please come out of the dark ages. :)
Sh$t Mikey,did I miss something,what are the Tifosi going to do ???,Turbo charging such a backward step !!
It must be a ploy by the Ferrari International Assistance to make it acceptable again :confused:

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Wow/SMH!

You just keep embarrassing and contradicting yourself on this and other sites (in such futile attempts). And the sad part is, you probably don't even know it, or care if you do. Anyway, that's your problem.
I have no problems. I have no contradictions. My position hasn't changed one iota on these topics in quite a long time. Some people don't seem to like my air of confidence in all of this and that's perfectly fine - can't please everyone and would not want to try. I don't worry about my online reputation as much as you think I should. I do and I say what I want and what I believe to be accurate in all cases. Maybe you just can't handle the truth? :D

Some of us had the holidays, family, work, the weekend, and other things to attend to.
Another thing I don't care about is where you've been for a week. It's a message forum - people come and go. I wasn't sitting around weeping because you hadn't replied, in fact I had forgotten you weren't here. Now that you are back I see you are right on form again. You just keep on beating that Porsche drum - if you listen closely it makes sort of a hollow 'dumb-dumb-dumb' sound.

I've already lost a few brain cells even responding this.
Yes, and I can understand how someone in your position really needs to be careful with that sort of thing. :p

= = = = =

Onto the topic of turbocharging the other comically bad aspect of this anti-turbo crowd argument is that in most circles the F40 is considered one of the greatest Ferraris you can drive and own, and I am quite sure you will find a pair of snails in its engine compartment. Everyone must be wrong - it is probably awful then. Should have used a race car motor instead. :rolleyes:

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
15 Posts
You just keep on beating that Porsche drum - if you listen closely it makes sort of a hollow 'dumb-dumb-dumb' sound.

>8^)
ER

Peloton25 Mate, I have big respect for you and have a enjoyed several of your posts over the years on Fchat, but c'mon, he's beating Porsche drum as much as you are beating the Mclaren drum here and on other forums.

Anyway, the truth is everyone has a brand they like, and would defend it to the limit and that's ok. Personally I love both the Mclaren P1 and the Porsche 918, though I ordered one of the 2 I have huge admiration and respect for what the've both archived. I also of course understand anyone who invests huge amount into buying any these cars defending their purchase and car of choice, its only natural.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Peloton25 Mate, I have big respect for you and have a enjoyed several of your posts over the years on Fchat, but c'mon, he's beating Porsche drum as much as you are beating the Mclaren drum here and on other forums.
First off, there's nothing wrong at all with beating a McLaren drum on a McLaren forum. Also the only place you will generally find me beating the McLaren drum on another forum is in threads that relate to McLaren (such as the "LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918" thread on FChat) which I don't see how anyone could argue that not being a highly appropriate place to do so. You will not find me littering favorable comments about the P1 in every thread that relates to the LaFerrari (for instance) as that would be a highly inappropriate. Hell, I was the very first person to post a real image of the LaFerrari on FerrariChat before the cover came off in Geneva so I am not just playing one side of the fence there like our 52-post Porsche fan boy with the brain cell deficiency is here every chance he gets.

Anyway, the truth is everyone has a brand they like, and would defend it to the limit and that's ok. Personally I love both the Mclaren P1 and the Porsche 918, though I ordered one of the 2 I have huge admiration and respect for what the've both archived. I also of course understand anyone who invests huge amount into buying any these cars defending their purchase and car of choice, its only natural.
I think Porsche makes great cars too and I have said in many places that I have a lot of respect for what they achieved with the production 918. You will struggle to find any post where I bash that car in any way other than the styling which doesn't quite hit the mark for me. Yes, I am known for my McLaren enthusiasm but I am more broadly a fan of supercars in general. There are some I truly find little joy for - Ferrari Enzo is meh, Gumpert Apollo is awful, Bug Veyron is not my thing - but largely I find redeeming qualities in most of them and love that there is a wide range of choices for everyone.

The fact that I believe what McLaren have produced is the cream of the crop right now doesn't render the rest of them worthless and my strong defense of the P1 against the handful of people who are predisposed not to like it and who are willing to make any statements to disparage it are justified, are factual and will continue.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
First off, there's nothing wrong at all with beating a McLaren drum on a McLaren forum. Also the only place you will generally find me beating the McLaren drum on another forum is in threads that relate to McLaren (such as the "LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918" thread on FChat) which I don't see how anyone could argue that not being a highly appropriate place to do so. You will not find me littering favorable comments about the P1 in every thread that relates to the LaFerrari (for instance) as that would be a highly inappropriate. Hell, I was the very first person to post a real image of the LaFerrari on FerrariChat before the cover came off in Geneva so I am not just playing one side of the fence there like our 52-post Porsche fan boy with the brain cell deficiency is here every chance he gets.

I think Porsche makes great cars too and I have said in many places that I have a lot of respect for what they achieved with the production 918. You will struggle to find any post where I bash that car in any way other than the styling which doesn't quite hit the mark for me. Yes, I am known for my McLaren enthusiasm but I am more broadly a fan of supercars in general. There are some I truly find little joy for - Ferrari Enzo is meh, Gumpert Apollo is awful, Bug Veyron is not my thing - but largely I find redeeming qualities in most of them and love that there is a wide range of choices for everyone.

The fact that I believe what McLaren have produced is the cream of the crop right now doesn't render the rest of them worthless and my strong defense of the P1 against the handful of people who are predisposed not to like it and who are willing to make any statements to disparage it are justified, are factual and will continue.

>8^)
ER
I've always enjoyed your posts mate, and I full respect your opinion and personal likes.
I understand where you are coming from.

Cheers!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Carlitos is needling McLaren aficionados the same way I needled him with Nissan - he certainly knows that proper turbocharging makes a good engine better, that is a fact and not conjecture. For all I know, the 918 is the better car then the P1 - but does it matter? How much better is in the eye of the beholder - I just find it truly sad that amongst enthusiasts we cant just marvel at the three hypercars now being offered for their merits, and not their incremental differences. The constant bashing of one or the other brand does nothing to elevate one over the other, it says more about the person making opinioned claims as facts.

Personally, I often ask myself who all these posters popping up at certain moments really are - the Internet affords anonymity to everybody, it appears to me that some brands seem to insert themselves with paid posters to message boards like these.......WTF for???? :rolleyes:

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Personally, I often ask myself who all these posters popping up at certain moments really are - the Internet affords anonymity to everybody, it appears to me that some brands seem to insert themselves with paid posters to message boards like these.......WTF for???? :rolleyes:
My company (not in the automotive realm) has an outside firm supporting some of our marketing efforts and one of the items we contract them for are "Social Media Brand Advocates". What you are suggesting is definitely happening, without a doubt.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Just imagine what that would be like. Unbelievable.
Yep Mikey, I can;t ,but I would wear a neck brace just to try one lap,and refrain from any sustenance for at least 24 hours.But you would take the chance if offered :)

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I just find it truly sad that amongst enthusiasts we cant just marvel at the three hypercars now being offered for their merits, and not their incremental differences. The constant bashing of one or the other brand does nothing to elevate one over the other, it says more about the person making opinioned claims as facts.
Good post. I couldn't agree more. These are all incredible machines that will all deliver mind blowing performance. Each will certainly possess nuances defining its character but I see no motoring enthusiast getting out of any one of these machines without a huge grin on their face. We are witness to a special time indeed.

41 - 60 of 138 Posts