McLaren Life banner

Has anyone else had poor service from McLaren?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine, purchased a 720S Spider last year. It was due for a service this year and was sent to the dealership via McLaren's transportation unit due to Covid 19. Before it left, my friend took photos of the vehicle and sent it to a car collection unit who did a 360 around the vehicle and confirmed no scratches. When it returned from it's service, he found that there were scratches on the underside of the car, that had ripped through the PPF. So it was sent back to McLaren who initially claimed it to be my friends fault and refused to take liability. He then sent them the photos he took of the car but they still try to claim confusion over how the scratches occurred. One of their chief mechanics called and admitted that had PPF not been applied, he would have to purchase a new car. Still the dealership refuses to take responsibility and expects him to pay for the service. From what he's told me, he's barely done any mileage in that car and this experience has put him off purchasing a McLaren again. He's now considering getting rid of the 720s and purchasing an F8 Spider. Has anyone else experience this same issue with McLaren?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would be looking at the car collection/transport people if they did an inspection prior to transport from the dealership. That would tell you if that damage occurred at the dealer or with the transporters.

Also I have doubts about the chief mechanic calling to say thank god for the PPF or we’d owe you a new car. If that’s the case, confront the general manager of that branch and bring this guy in.

This should be relatively easy to fix. But given the lack of evidence, consider me skeptical at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
124 Posts
My service so far has been pretty good (McLaren Seattle). They have addressed every issue, including a few warranty issues when I first bought the car, with no pushback and nothing but excellence. I think the dealer matters a lot. The only negatives I can say about my dealer is they seem about 2x the price of everything when I check against other dealers for parts, inspections, and service stuff, but I still pay since they are local. Unfortunately there has been a lot of staff turnover, and I have not met many of the new folks yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be looking at the car collection/transport people if they did an inspection prior to transport from the dealership. That would tell you if that damage occurred at the dealer or with the transporters.

Also I have doubts about the chief mechanic calling to say thank god for the PPF or we’d owe you a new car. If that’s the case, confront the general manager of that branch and bring this guy in.

This should be relatively easy to fix. But given the lack of evidence, consider me skeptical at best.

Thats the thing, McLaren provided their own transporter and are refusing to take liability or blame their transport people.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thats the thing, McLaren provided their own transporter and are refusing to take liability or blame their transport people.
Even better for you than!

Especially if your friend took photos prior to transport. If the manager of this branch won’t resolve this, escalate it to corporate. Seems like a solid case in your friends favor.

But I’m still skeptical why you made an account and posting and not your friend. Or there’s no mention of the specific dealer, or pics of the specific damage.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Cars get damaged in many different ways.

Transporters
In for service
sitting in parking lots
accidents while driving
valet's
friends driving the car
someone bumping into them

The internet judges will always tell you that the offending party should pay for them based on the information that a poster provides.

Reality of the situation is that if you have a case then you either file a lawsuit or go through your insurance company which is how these things are handled and not the opinion of people on car forums.

Many people who provide these services are very wary of existing damage being thrust upon them... No offense but I've never taken any pictures of a car leaving my custody to get onto a transporter.

Reactions: Topcarbon

·
Owner
975 Posts
The scratch is on the underside of the car, and it has PPF? Who puts that on the underside of the car? So, this 'scratch' is on a part of the car that nobody sees. What is the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even better for you than!

Especially if your friend took photos prior to transport. If the manager of this branch won’t resolve this, escalate it to corporate. Seems like a solid case in your friends favor.

But I’m still skeptical why you made an account and posting and not your friend. Or there’s no mention of the specific dealer, or pics of the specific damage.
My friend likes to remain anonymous and to be honest he only wanted me to find out if this was an issue with McLaren in general or an issue with the dealership. That's the reason he's considering trading for an F8. He received an Email today from the dealer stating they were still unsure as to how the scratching occurred.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If we had some pictures, we might be able to pin point if it looks like a road/moving scrape or a lift issue. But we’re all fairly in the dark as the severity and location of the damage.

Still stand by if you have documented pictures at hand off of that area, scrape free, prior to transport and it was returned scraped it should be a no brainer repair via McLaren.

Edit: But to clarify, I believe this is an isolated incident. The few times on the forum someone has had documented damage they’ve been taken care of. McLaren has been good to most of us, and no cease & desist letters for modifying your car

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My friend likes to remain anonymous and to be honest he only wanted me to find out if this was an issue with McLaren in general or an issue with the dealership. That's the reason he's considering trading for an F8. He received an Email today from the dealer stating they were still unsure as to how the scratching occurred.
It’s a dealer thing. If the same dealer owns Ferrari or lambo franchise the it will be the same.
If there’s ppf the dealer can just replace it. It’s cheap.

My dealer service does RR/lambo/Bentley/mclaren/Bugatti/eggs. All at the same place.

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
240 Posts
As mentioned serval times already, dealer issue or transport issue. Every dealer is different, no matter what brand you purchase (Hyundai to Bugatti). Hell, the same dealership can go from good to bad, and then back to good again just dependent on who was hired or is working. Could also have been a transport issue (loading or unloading the likely scenarios for scratches underneath). Did the transport take pre and post pictures for each pick up and delivery? The one I used has (PlyCar). I would check with them as well.

·
Administrator
2,972 Posts
Classic trolling....."my friend had an issue". No pictures and no specific details as too even the dealer in question.

My favorite line in the 1st post is: One of their chief mechanics called and admitted that had PPF not been applied, he would have to purchase a new car. Since when does a scratch on the underside of a car (not even going to bring up the question of who PPFs the underside of a car) lead to a car needing to be written off and replaced?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts