McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a hypercar and have test driven 3 , one techno perfection made in Germany, one with deep cleavage made in Italy and one with no emotion made south of Watford in the UK .

The one I enjoyed the most was a great comfortable blast on the road and ballistic around the track. However it is a few seconds slower on a 13 mile German toll road than the German technofest car , the Italian Ugly Bug did a no show on the toll road.

Now there have been a zillion pages of comment about this German toll road which is rarely used by most owners, is not a daily commute and impossible to get reasonable insurance for. Additionally there are many other places to test a cars ability to go at light speed but the German toll road at 13 miles long seems to be the focus of obsession for some.

In the absence of Widow911 can anybody explain why I would not purchase the most likeable car for me even though it may not boast bragging times on the German toll road?

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Sod the toll road ! Buy the one you like and the one you think fit your needs . That's what I'm doing :)
I think widow could have put it better and fairer than me mind you .

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Widow is back, naked on roller skates.......

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I am in the market for a hypercar and have test driven 3 , one techno perfection made in Germany, one with deep cleavage made in Italy and one with no emotion made south of Watford in the UK .

The one I enjoyed the most was a great comfortable blast on the road and ballistic around the track. However it is a few seconds slower on a 13 mile German toll road than the German technofest car , the Italian Ugly Bug did a no show on the toll road.

Now there have been a zillion pages of comment about this German toll road which is rarely used by most owners, is not a daily commute and impossible to get reasonable insurance for. Additionally there are many other places to test a cars ability to go at light speed but the German toll road at 13 miles long seems to be the focus of obsession for some.

In the absence of Widow911 can anybody explain why I would not purchase the most likeable car for me even though it may not boast bragging times on the German toll road?
For the kind of money we're talking about, you should get what makes you happy. Plain and simple. I would try them all. Heck, I'd also try the Pagani, Konnisegg, SSC, Venom GT, etc. I'd want to make myself as informed as possible. But ultimately it's what subjective criteria make you happiest that counts. For some, that is the ring time. For others, the looks. Other's look for levels of bespoke'dness (wow what a grammatical train wreck :). For others still, the exclusivity. It doesn't matter what others find to be their set of criteria for happiness, it's what's important to you that counts.

All the cars at this level are all objectively amazing. Their differences in performance, objectively, and relatively, not that great. Few seconds here, few bits more aero there, few percent more Gs there. All things that may be big if you're a race car driver, but realistically, for the market we're talking about, relatively minor. (They Veyron excepted as the top speed there is sick).

So it comes down to what bundle of criterial make you smile like an idiot getting into it? Go with the car that does that. And then tell us all about it so we can live vicariously through you! :)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts

RIC,
Please promise you won't rollerblade naked at night round the ring., not sure we coy,d cope with that at all...

·
Registered
404 Posts

Hah -- exactly, my good man.

If your priority is to brag about the car you own and what it can do in someone else's hands on a particular track, then you should obtain the one with the best recorded laptime. Your internet posting glory will be assured.

On the other hand, if your priorities are to actually drive the car yourself, and under circumstances in which which you'll spend 99.x% of your driving time, then you should consider your own driving experience of each car and let that experience be your guide.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's your money, YOU are the one deciding how to spend it. Buy the one that YOU like the best.

Like wtdoom, I made my own choice, despite of what's written about our selections.

People have different tastes, some might think the Italian looks vulgar while others might see it as too tame or just right. Some might think the British knight is just another pleasant wearing a new shiny armour, others think he is not. Some thinks the German robot is too soul-less while others think it's the pinnacle of German tech.

There is really no right or wrong choice. Unless there was a different agenda in the shadow. Say, 'depreciation' concern.

At first I was thinking about that last part, trying to figure out which one has the best chance to appreciate. The answer wasn't pretty. It would have been the one wearing the g-string with a marine anchor hanging on it's chin and I know I won't be happy driving it.

I made a list of what I want in a car, start ticking boxes and in the end the one that might cost me the most in depreciation won by a mile.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Fret not Whoopsy, I'll be there to take it off your hands and a very very fair price when that day comes. If it's not too much trouble... dark grey or black with bright green accents, please.

Forgot to mention the depreciation is only booked if/when I sell the car :)

On the same token, appreciation in car value is only realized if/when one sells the car.

But what happens if a car is so good to the owner that he/she doesn't want to get rid of it? The value became meaningless.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Forgot to mention the depreciation is only booked if/when I sell the car :)

On the same token, appreciation in car value is only realized if/when one sells the car.

But what happens if a car is so good to the owner that he/she doesn't want to get rid of it? The value became meaningless.
He most likely gets an overwhelming, emotional feeling of exceptional charity. "Why should I keep such cars to myself when there are so many in need of such things?"

Something like that :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Very much to the point RIC and Treynor,looks like were going to have even more fun at the Ring next year,but if your threat comes to fruition RIC,the rest of us need to sort you out with a BSC ,im sure being Germany there will be a parlour somewhere near,but we might have to bring our own rollerskates !!

This would all be for the benefit of aerodynamics of course !

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RIC,
Please promise you won't rollerblade naked at night round the ring., not sure we coy,d cope with that at all...
Don't worry. I stopped doing naked when my wife took up Sudoku.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
You could also argue that finding the car you never want to sell increases the value exponentially. Maybe not in a currency measured way, but if it's right, it's right!

I had an e46 BMW M3 convertible that I absolutely loved until I got sick of the convertible part. I just sold it a few months back, and I miss it a lot more than the money I received from the sale. My commute and the weekend quest for bendy back-roads is not nearly as entertaining as it used to be!

-nh4.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts