McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I finally got my wife to agree to letting me get a super car! So a few things I have questions for.

1. How is reliability? Any major issues I should look for?
2. Maintenance I just paid 4k for my Range rover maintenance plan is Mclaren worse?
3. Brakes....are they noisy like BMW's M brakes?
4. Are 650s's that have more than 10k miles a problem or is that a good break in?
5. How much are oil changes?

Anything that you can think of that I should know before I jump in and buy one in a few weeks or should I get something else? I love the Mclaren brand and tech and think is a steal for the price!
Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
1. coolant leaks are the only issue. Just make sure it’s been sorted with hoses and clamps
2. Yearly maintence is about 2k at dealer prices. If you don’t have cpo warranty then independents can be half.
3. All carbon ceramic brakes squeal. If you clean them frequently then it’s fine.
4. I think that’s a good mark in miles for bugs to be worked out. I’d highly recommend getting a cpo one and get a year of warranty with it.
5. Once a year or 10k miles. So never did an oil change only see above for dealer prices that has all the worthless inspections. DIY seems to be like 80 LOL.

For the price point I think it’s a great deal. Higher mileage huracan or 458 is also a choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. coolant leaks are the only issue. Just make sure it’s been sorted with hoses and clamps
2. Yearly maintence is about 2k at dealer prices. If you don’t have cpo warranty then independents can be half.
3. All carbon ceramic brakes squeal. If you clean them frequently then it’s fine.
4. I think that’s a good mark in miles for bugs to be worked out. I’d highly recommend getting a cpo one and get a year of warranty with it.
5. Once a year or 10k miles. So never did an oil change only see above for dealer prices that has all the worthless inspections. DIY seems to be like 80 LOL.

For the price point I think it’s a great deal. Higher mileage huracan or 458 is also a choice.
So I can do my own oil changes? Sweet! Seems very reasonable. My BMW M5 and my Range Rover cost me about that yearly anyway so not out of this world maintenance. thank you!

·
Registered
80 Posts
So I can do my own oil changes? Sweet! Seems very reasonable. My BMW M5 and my Range Rover cost me about that yearly anyway so not out of this world maintenance. thank you!
Yeah maintenance is not too bad if you’ve had BMW M cars and range rovers. Surprisingly a lot of parts are shared between other brands and models which make them relatively affordable.

DIY oil change is in the $50-$100 range depending on where you source your gaskets and filters.

Dealership charges in the $500-750 range mostly due to hourly rate and number of inspections they supposedly do. (Almost all visual). You’re half paying them to reset the maintenance counter

Am I the only person who doesn’t have squeaky brakes on their M car? That’s all I hear on the BMW forums yet my wife’s F80 M3 and my F90 M5 don’t make a peep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
580 Posts
The carbon breaks of my 650S don’t squeal. In general, this car is more trouble-free (not a single problem, not one error message since I bought it new in 2016) than all the BMW's I had, and I had a few.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Put on 3-4K miles on my 650S spider. Up to around 12k now. Pretty much trouble free. Sometimes a random cel light for a license plate light out or iris nav screen needs to be rebooted. Other than that these cars are rock solid. I drive mine hard and I’m overly extremely impressed. The only thing I’m not happy about is the $5k annual warranty extension. It’s not needed but by having it I have more peace of mind. But I haven’t really used the warranty for much of anything. But I’d rather have it just so I don’t feel stressed. I also get the $2k annual mclaren service so the records are clean and I know it’s done right.

anyway it’s a fantastic car that is loved by everyone of my exotic car owning friends, guys and girls. I love it and think it might be the best bang for your buck exotic deal out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought a 650s spider a few months ago and went with the $5k annual warranty extension, of which I've used about half after a track day where I got a CEL for blowing a wastegate hose, then had the soft close door latches fail. There are many threads on what to look for when asking about reliability, just check the 12c boards.

2. Maintenance I just paid 4k for my Range rover maintenance plan is Mclaren worse? 5-6k/year
3. Brakes....are they noisy like BMW's M brakes? They squeal a tiny bit after that track day but before them, no.
4. Are 650s's that have more than 10k miles a problem or is that a good break in? I wouldn't consider that mileage an issue. Personally I'd want one that was driven so that they broke and had warrantied any suspect part

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
699 Posts
Welcome! Everything DIY you want to know about the P11 platform cars (12C, 650S, 675LT) has been consolidated into the thread below. Start here to absorb and learn.

FYI the 650S is an amazing machine, pick a solid example and you will never regret it!

·
Administrator
2,722 Posts
Hey everyone,
I finally got my wife to agree to letting me get a super car! So a few things I have questions for.

1. How is reliability? Any major issues I should look for?
2. Maintenance I just paid 4k for my Range rover maintenance plan is Mclaren worse?
3. Brakes....are they noisy like BMW's M brakes?
4. Are 650s's that have more than 10k miles a problem or is that a good break in?
5. How much are oil changes?

Anything that you can think of that I should know before I jump in and buy one in a few weeks or should I get something else? I love the Mclaren brand and tech and think is a steal for the price!
Thanks all!
we have had a 650S Spider for 5 years. Here the maintenance history: McLaren Maintenance Costs | karenable and update on the car: McLaren 650S Spider: 5 Years as my Daily Driver | karenable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the responses. I am really debating between the 570s and the 650s. I am really torn.

·
Registered
36 Posts
thanks for all the responses. I am really debating between the 570s and the 650s. I am really torn.
I'll go one better than the good response of "driving both and you will know the answer".....The 650s is better overall experience, in my opinion. I think It's the traditional suspension vs the active...I also prefer the looks.
I just bought mine a couple of months ago, and I love it.....and have even had 2 suspension error messages, 1 air brake and 2 hard shifts out of thousands (I put about 1300 miles on already and I have a 10 car collection!! Love driving it!)
My car was under warranty, and when I brought it in for the above, they found leaky accumulators. Luckly, since the accumulators are not covered under warranty, I bought my car from Mclaren Boston, and the State of MA has a mandatory 90 day warranty, so they covered it and Mclaren Chicago did the work.
Knock on wood, all good. Most errors seem to go away after letting the car reset.
Go drive them, if you can, phenomenal pieces of machinery and awesome looks and F1 history. I crossed shopped the 458, and Huracan.
Have driven the 720s and 570GT on track, driven 570s, 650s and 720s on the street.

Best of luck!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts