6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DRIVE.com.au
By David McCowen
11 DEC 2018
Electric Italian supercar promises to be faster than F1
Pininfarina Battista sizes up Tesla Roadster, Rimac
Faster than F1.
As far as pre-launch hype goes, the brash statement feels like the epitome of hyperbole. But a looming electric supercar arms race could help Pininfarina deliver the goods.
Renowned as the design house responsible for styling some of the most striking machines in the world - think Ferrari’s F40 and 458 Italia, Peugeot’s 1997 406 Coupe and the reimagined Maserati Quattroporte of 2003 - Pininfarina is preparing to unveil its own supercar.
Named after company founder Battista Farina, the Pininfarina Batista promises “staggering performance” and “extreme levels of technology”.
How extreme? Try more than 1400kW of power and 2300Nm of torque. As Pininfarina puts it, “the Battista has the potential to accelerate to 62mph (100km/h) in less than two seconds, faster than a Formula 1 car, and break the 250mph (402km/h) top speed barrier – all with a potential zero emissions range of over 300 miles (483km)”.

Paolo Pininfarina, the manufacturer’s chairman, says the car “is genuinely a dream come true”.
“My grandfather always had the vision that one day there would be a stand-alone range of Pininfarina-branded cars,” he says.
“This hypercar will boast world-beating performance, technological innovation and of course elegant styling. For me, we simply had to call it Battista.
"His dream becomes reality today as we link our glorious past with the future of motoring.”
The new machine will debut at the Geneva motor show in March 2019.
Though it sounds far-fetched, a technical partnership with Rimac should help make the car a reality. Croatia’s Rimac has form in the emerging segment, selling 913kW Concept One and 1032kW Concept S supercars to wealthy collectors.
Part-owned by Porsche, Rimac supplies electric components to a number of brands including Aston Martin and Jaguar. Its own machines will be key rivals to the Pininfarina Battista, as will Tesla’s upcoming Roadster. Tesla says its next-gen sports car will reach 60mph (just shy of 100km/h) in just 1.9 seconds before reaching a top speed in excess of 400km/h.
Established supercar brands such as McLaren are also believed to be working on similar machines
https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/e...an-f1-120332?trackLink=articleResultsHeroNews

——————————-
TOPGEAR
Pininfarina’s 1,900bhp electric hypercar is called 'Battista'

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/pininfarinas-1900bhp-electric-hypercar-called-battista

·
Registered
402 Posts
DRIVE.com.au
By David McCowen
11 DEC 2018
Electric Italian supercar promises to be faster than F1
Pininfarina Battista sizes up Tesla Roadster, Rimac
Faster than F1.
As far as pre-launch hype goes, the brash statement feels like the epitome of hyperbole. But a looming electric supercar arms race could help Pininfarina deliver the goods.
Renowned as the design house responsible for styling some of the most striking machines in the world - think Ferrari’s F40 and 458 Italia, Peugeot’s 1997 406 Coupe and the reimagined Maserati Quattroporte of 2003 - Pininfarina is preparing to unveil its own supercar.
Named after company founder Battista Farina, the Pininfarina Batista promises “staggering performance” and “extreme levels of technology”.
How extreme? Try more than 1400kW of power and 2300Nm of torque. As Pininfarina puts it, “the Battista has the potential to accelerate to 62mph (100km/h) in less than two seconds, faster than a Formula 1 car, and break the 250mph (402km/h) top speed barrier – all with a potential zero emissions range of over 300 miles (483km)”.

Paolo Pininfarina, the manufacturer’s chairman, says the car “is genuinely a dream come true”.
“My grandfather always had the vision that one day there would be a stand-alone range of Pininfarina-branded cars,” he says.
“This hypercar will boast world-beating performance, technological innovation and of course elegant styling. For me, we simply had to call it Battista.
"His dream becomes reality today as we link our glorious past with the future of motoring.”
The new machine will debut at the Geneva motor show in March 2019.
Though it sounds far-fetched, a technical partnership with Rimac should help make the car a reality. Croatia’s Rimac has form in the emerging segment, selling 913kW Concept One and 1032kW Concept S supercars to wealthy collectors.
Part-owned by Porsche, Rimac supplies electric components to a number of brands including Aston Martin and Jaguar. Its own machines will be key rivals to the Pininfarina Battista, as will Tesla’s upcoming Roadster. Tesla says its next-gen sports car will reach 60mph (just shy of 100km/h) in just 1.9 seconds before reaching a top speed in excess of 400km/h.
Established supercar brands such as McLaren are also believed to be working on similar machines
https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/e...an-f1-120332?trackLink=articleResultsHeroNews

——————————-
TOPGEAR
Pininfarina’s 1,900bhp electric hypercar is called 'Battista'

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/pininfarinas-1900bhp-electric-hypercar-called-battista
This car from an iconic Italian design brand should be a stunner but at this point, I'm confronted, even if it has incredible performance and style, with how I feel about an all-electric supercar. I'm trying to psychoanalyze my head with notions about what makes the supercar experience what it is and whether this sort of car will deliver the goods. Would pay a lot of money for a car like this. Will I finally come round? Am I just sounding like my father when he used to talk about the old days?

What is the future of these cars and where is this all going?

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This car from an iconic Italian design brand should be a stunner but at this point, I'm confronted, even if it has incredible performance and style, with how I feel about an all-electric supercar. I'm trying to psychoanalyze my head with notions about what makes the supercar experience what it is and whether this sort of car will deliver the goods. Would pay a lot of money for a car like this. Will I finally come round? Am I just sounding like my father when he used to talk about the old days?

Yes many good questions. Think we all are following these developments with interest or trepidation! Formula E and the performance at Pikes Peak was stunning ..

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TOPGEAR
The Pininfarina Battista is a 1,900bhp hyper-EV
Pininfarina finally gets around to doing its own car. And what a car

Jason Barlow
4 Mar 2019
This, ladies and gentlemen, is the most powerful road-legal car ever to come out of Italy. It’s probably worth pondering that for a second. Thanks to a 120 kWh lithium ion battery pack, the Pininfarina Battista produces approximately 1,900bhp and 1,696 torques. Barmy numbers. And because of the unique properties of e-motion, it’s enough to give this drop-dead beautiful looking thing Formula One car-style acceleration. Zero to 62mph apparently takes a tarmac-melting sub-two seconds, 186mph up in less than 12. All without the toxic haze of spent hydrocarbons from the tail-pipe, which is the more relevant point.

You know Pininfarina, of course. Founded in 1928, this is Italy’s most famous automotive design house, creator of more gorgeous cars from Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia than we could possibly list here. Its first post-war creation, 1946’s Cistitalia 202, is one of only nine cars to live in the permanent collection of New York’s Museum of Modern Art. And when Battista ‘Pinin’ Farina met Enzo Ferrari midway between Turin and Modena in 1951 (neither would subjugate their ego enough to visit the other’s HQ), the deal was done to exclusively clothe Ferrari’s oily bits and chassis’. Talk about heritage.

Finally, Pininfarina has got round to doing its own car.

Automobili Pininfarina is hoping to parlay the company’s history into juicy, standalone success. It’s a new company, located in Munich, that sits parallel to the established Pininfarina SpA based in Cambiano, near Turin. The project follows the company’s 2015 acquisition by Indian industrial giant Mahindra, which paid around £125m. The plan is to build a total of 150 Battistas at a cost of approximately £2m each, and it sees itself ‘as a pioneer in the luxury EV space’.

The car itself uses a carbon fibre monocoque, with the batteries housed behind the occupants and along the sides in a T format. The electrical architecture is being co-developed with Rimac (itself 10 per cent owned by Porsche, and a supplier to Aston Martin, Renault, and others). It’s still heavy, of course (tellingly, no one has confirmed exactly how heavy) but Pininfarina insists the layout delivers the optimum weight distribution: with four motors feeding power and torque to each wheel, it also features torque vectoring, though 1,900bhp is a challenge. Ex-F1 driver Nick Heidfeld is currently grappling with that one, along with former Porsche, Pagani and Bugatti chassis guru Dr Peter Tutzer. Braking is by carbon ceramic discs and six-piston calipers, 390mm diameter at the front, 380mm at the rear. Its range is likely to be around 300 miles, 80 per cent of which can be replenished in 40 minutes on a rapid charger.

The cockpit features a ‘vanishing point’ aspect to the main display and a futuristically driver-centric layout. The interior is covered in the finest materials, although expect to see fashionable recycleable materials rather than leather. Each car can be personalised to whatever degree the client seeks to achieve. That’s the really lucrative part of the game these days.

Would you prefer your hyper-fast pure-electric hypercar to look like a renegade from Blade Runner 2049? Pininfarina decided against it. “We wanted to keep the form and proportion of a traditional supercar,” chief designer Luca Borgogno says. “We did a lot of research, thought about how much of a spaceship it could have been, but elected to create something in line with our history, true to Pininfarina’s values. The cabin pushing forward, the long tail balancing the visual weight – it’s still the best configuration you can find. For us it was clear this was the way to go.

“It takes back some of the beauty of the 1960s, the sensuality. Look at the cars in our museum upstairs: what really strikes you is the purity and beauty.”

Automobili Pininfarina intends to develop the car with carefully chosen partners, rather than sinking a fortune into R&D. In this respect, Apple’s ‘asset-light’ structure is a more apposite example than, say, Bugatti or Porsche (both of whom benefit from VW Group synergies). Over to Mahindra chairman, Anand Mahindra, to explain.

“I love Bugatti,” he tells me, “and it was the dream of a true visionary to rejuvenate the brand. We all agree on that. But the amount of money you’d need to invest to take on the Chiron… if you choose your weapon well and you do it with electric technology, you can achieve it with a lower level of investment. If you talk to the best companies in the world, it is possible to do it. Ambitious yes, impossible no. Luxury is the meeting point of heritage and craftsmanship, which is what Pininfarina has. You can’t just create that. It would take 90 years to build what Pininfarina has.”
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/pininfarina-battista-1900bhp-hyper-ev

Attachments

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I think with these electric hyper cars almost all comes down to weight figures ... if they weight the same or more than a Chiron even 2000hp wont make them track monsters as breaking and corner speeds suffer too much from the weight, while acceleration is only a small part of a track round ...

The styling I don't know ... looks a bit like a slightly updated 488 mixed with j50 and Sergio ... not really special enough for a such a potential blockbuster hypercar ...

·
Registered
180 Posts

I feel the same way. Need to think on it for along time.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Car looks great. It screams, "Hey Ferrari, you should have kept us under contract." Way better looking than the 488 and F8. Not even close. It's a shame it costs $2M though.

$300K and I'd be all over it. I for one welcome our new EV overlords ;)

·
720s
903 Posts
Looks 1000X better than new F8 or any other Ferrari in that series.

Truly stunning and for $2M it's going to be unique.

Ferrari really f'ed up by firing Pini.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
4500lbs?? Colin Chapman would fall off his chair if he were still around. That’s an immense amount of weight to carry around - it must feel so heavy, especially on track. Our Macan only weighs 4000lbs, and it’s quick (Turbo PP), but I really notice that weight when trying to get it to stop. Just feels so heavy. Even my M3 at 3700lbs feels so heavy at the track.

Throw a driver and passenger in that Battista and you’re knocking on the door of 5000lbs!

They definitely need to find a way to lighten these EV’s.. It’s like driving your McLaren while carrying a Lotus Elise in your trunk.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4500lbs?? Colin Chapman would fall off his chair if he were still around. That’s an immense amount of weight to carry around - it must feel so heavy, especially on track. Our Macan only weighs 4000lbs, and it’s quick (Turbo PP), but I really notice that weight when trying to get it to stop. Just feels so heavy. Even my M3 at 3700lbs feels so heavy at the track.

Throw a driver and passenger in that Battista and you’re knocking on the door of 5000lbs!

They definitely need to find a way to lighten these EV’s.. It’s like driving your McLaren while carrying a Lotus Elise in your trunk.

Thanks!

Z.
Yes. The Battista is more an expression of Pininfarina artistic design capability than development of a useable vehicle. A work of art.
;)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yes. The Battista is more an expression of Pininfarina artistic design capability than development of a useable vehicle. A work of art.
;)
so they made a Henry Moore like bodywork (solid bronze) or where does all that weight come from ??? I mean the drivetrain must literally weight a ton :confused:

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so they made a Henry Moore like bodywork (solid bronze) or where does all that weight come from ??? I mean the drivetrain must literally weight a ton
Yes a problem with current EV batteries is they are very heavy. The hope is that one of the batteries in development will present a solution to the excessive weight .....

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I believe this project is quite dead.
Yes I had thought so — but then read this a few days ago;
We are accelerating fast in the final technical development and start of production at our Pininfarina Atelier in Cambiano. We completed the body in white earlier this summer which showed the accuracy in the geometry and the quality of engineering; since then, the prototype build-up continued apace. While I am writing to you, the first-ever prototypes of Battista are about to leave our Atelier to go into a rigorous testing programme on different tracks in Italy and Europe with our team of engineering experts. ”

·
Administrator
2,975 Posts
Yes I had thought so — but then read this a few days ago;
We are accelerating fast in the final technical development and start of production at our Pininfarina Atelier in Cambiano. We completed the body in white earlier this summer which showed the accuracy in the geometry and the quality of engineering; since then, the prototype build-up continued apace. While I am writing to you, the first-ever prototypes of Battista are about to leave our Atelier to go into a rigorous testing programme on different tracks in Italy and Europe with our team of engineering experts. are accelerating fast in the final technical development and start of production at our Pininfarina Atelier in Cambiano. We completed the body in white earlier this summer which showed the accuracy in the geometry and the quality of engineering; since then, the prototype build-up continued apace. The first-ever prototypes of Battista are about to leave our Atelier to go into a rigorous testing programme on different tracks in Italy and Europe with our team of engineering experts.”
Really strange, I had heard that all deposits had been returned to customers.....

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Really strange, I had heard that all deposits had been returned to customers.....
Pininfarina has a great reputation as a design house. I was surprised that they would attempt to expand into becoming a car manufacturer even with the EV technology shift. Perhaps they are now considering/attempting selling the ‘Battista’ design to a car manufacturer, back to basics?...
(just a thought I have no direct information.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts