McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Searched an only found a thread on this from a couple of years ago. Would love to see what folks have come up with for holding their phone while driving in 720S. Never found anything that worked too well in the 570. Wondering about a gooseneck with the cupholder under the dash or the middle vent. Let me know if anyone has a great solution. Would love to see pictures and a link with where to buy!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes, i have started using a gooseneck cup holder. Secured into the under dash cupholder. It bounces around a little. Make sure you put a bit of rubber padding between neck and center strut.
It will slowly rub surface off after time. Has happened on other cars of mine.
You need a decent length one, even then it just manages to place the phone beside gear buttons.

Would provide pic but car is in shop.
Just google car phone cupholder or something. A bit out there. No really good quality ones though

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
593 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a magnet that kind of clamps to the middle vent. Going to give it a try and see how it goes. Richard, does the suction cup leave a mark on the dash? I had one of those in my cayeene and it left a mark on the dash that took years to work it self out...Don't want to do that again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I found a magnet that kind of clamps to the middle vent. Going to give it a try and see how it goes. Richard, does the suction cup leave a mark on the dash? I had one of those in my cayeene and it left a mark on the dash that took years to work it self out...Don't want to do that again.
No marks, circles, or abrasion at all. it is a very light suction with a soft rubber. I was actually surprised it stuck to the leather, but it does nicely.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need to look, I think I have alcantara in that area, so not sure if it would stick, but thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
i wouldn't use one that is mounted on air vents,especially on 720 with the known to malfunction center vent.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would not use this one. I have it and only used it a few times and my vent stopped working. I'm not sure if it was the actual cause but with these cars I would not risk it.
I had this one before I moved to the one I posted above, thought it contributed to my center vent malfunction and subsequent replacement. So went with the higher mounted suction phone holder. The other plus of my set up, you can do a video when using draggy (or without) as it is centered with a windshield view, comes out fairly decent as they way I have it positioned gives it a good view.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gonna six the idea of the mount on the dash vent given comments about failure. Richard, did you use the rubber sticky thing that's included or just suction directly to the dash?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just the suction. Don't need the pad thing. I take it off after done driving, as it will come off and fall down in about 48 hours on its own. It is firm for spirited drives and will not budge for a long time. I think as temp changes, etc. after a period of time it will loose its suction, but only after a long period of time. Thus I take it off once done and put it back up when I use it.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good idea to remove it when not using. That will avoid the dreaded ring...I'm ordering one now. I also got a gooseneck but the long goosenecks get wobbly. Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
593 Posts
Please follow up on your experience, I may go to this as well.

Or just get an Artura with Carplay and park the phone out of sight like in our other cars.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I followed Richard's lead. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YCF3GGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been removing when not in use and no marks on dash. Holds very well and phone magnet is good, although I added a magnet between my phone and case to make the magnetic hold stronger, the mag lock on the apple phone isn't quite strong enough.

Car is in the shop to address my mystery fluid spill, but when I get it back (hopefully in less than 2 weeks), I'll take a photo. I think it works well. But the seat rail mount looks pretty darned nifty too.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Does the seat rail one bounce around a lot? Seems would be a lot of of length to flex by the time the phone is at the end of ot all.
Im tempted to chuck my cupholder gooseneck one because of bouncing around and just give up with putting the phone in holder.

·
Registered
114 Posts
it does bounce around a little but not too bad since I'm not staring at it for long periods of time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts