McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parking break malfunction indicator issue. Parking break switch light and right dash parking break indicator light both light up when the when the parking break switch is pulled up and the parking break is engaged. Likewise, both lights go off when parking break switch is depressed. Parking break is working fine and engages and disengages as normal; however, there is a message on the left side of the dash that says “Parking Break Malfunction. Contact McLaren Retailer”. Any ideas why left hand dash warning stays on while everything else appears to be working normally?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did this just start happening one day or was there a cause like maybe the parking brake wiring harness near the rear tires being unplugged, etc.? Let me know, that might help in diagnosis.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happened out of the blue. I set the parking in my driveway, opened a gate, released the parking break and the indicator warning on the left side of the dash came on but the parking break disengaged and both the red light on the switch and the right dash indicator turned off. The ignition was on the whole time.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
608 Posts
Just a thought, check the parking brakes pads thickness. If they are possibly too thin this might be your famous McLaren ‘ambiguous style’ warning they need to be replaced.

I say that because recently I had the same type of warning every time I started my car, it said "TPMS Malfunction - Visit Mclaren Workshop". Interestingly enough when I navigated to my TPMS functions all of my tire pressures and temps worked correctly for all four wheels!

After living with the warning for nearly two months I took it to the dealer to request they clear my ECU for what seemed obvious to me was just a computer glitch. After checking my vehicle, I was told the real issue was the batteries were low in the wheel sensors and I needed a new set. Now why couldn’t my warning message have just said that?

So I passed on the dealer doing the work and bought the new TPMS sensors online for a fraction of the cost at McLaren. I had a regular tire store install them and the "TPMS Malfunction - Visit Mclaren Workshop" message was instantly resolved.

Point of the story is many of the warning messages in these cars are cryptic and cause much panic, and McLaren could have been more descriptive to the vehicle owner, but they ‘sometimes’ just want to scare you just enough to take it to the dealer to resolve simple things like replacing worn brake pads, old TPMS sensors, and other simple DIY maintenance items.

Please post the results of what you ultimately find to be the cause of the warning msg. Thanks and good luck!

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
608 Posts
On my TPMS issue once I replaced all 4 sensors with new ones (the batteries are part of the sensor) my "TPMS Fault" cleared itself.

Its possible if your brake pads are too thin, if you replace them your warning could clear itself as well. One can hope, right?

Regarding all other ECU faults...

"IF" the code is a standard ODBii code, then any cheap OBDii reader can clear the code (this is usually just indicated by a check engine light)

"IF" it is a McLaren specific fault code/message (this is a specic warning msg that pops up on your left hand instrument cluster) then only the dealer tool can clear it, or you can pay the super high price for the "dealer tool clone" and clear it yourself... but at 2200.00 US + 600.00 annual renewal fee in my opinion the DIY tool is still too expensive to justify purchasing. Just see the dealer for a 175.00 one hour diag fee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, the cost of the tool is very high. I have an Autel which reads codes but will not clear them. There are other threads talking about ECU's/faults etc. You can unplug the battery and try to clear that way but that didn't work for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks…I will disconnect the battery and see if that does anything. Interesting that the instruction manual says that if there is a malfunction with the parking break, the yellow parking break status malfunction light (on the right side of the dash) will illuminate and the bar in the parking break switch flashes. The yellow light is on but the bar in the barking break switch does not flash….it is on when the parking break is on and off when the parking break is off. As previously stated, the parking break is functioning normally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears that I made the initial post about a month ago and earlier this week I started it up and guess what…no warning light. It disappeared without me doing a thing other than driving a few days a week. It went away as fast as it appeared and both for no known reason. Glad it is gone but go figure. These cars have a mind of their own.

·
Registered
547 Posts
At this point I would like to make a small side note: please always remember to connect the car to the battery charger! The McLaren's react very sensitive to even slightly discharged batteries.

·
Premium Member
2012 "Swipe" MP4-12C
608 Posts
Also please understand the McLaren Electronics may flag a "warning" of any sort seemingly randomly. Aka, low tire pressure warning, suspension fault, A/C Calibrating, parking brake warning, tail light malfunction, etc, etc.

DON'T PANIC, (at least at first...) :)

Shut the car off, restart now or the next day... Many times that random warning will not reappear... maybe never.

Then, if you still have an issue and it does come back, visit the DIY thread for known problems and solutions. Many times there is no need to visit the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts