McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a seemingly finicky parking brake? I don't know if the car has some sort of roll/incline/decline sensors that would turn it on, but mine randomly will act up when backing out of my drive or even a seemingly flat parking space.

I start the car, turn off the parking brake and put it in reverse or drive, and then within a second or so, I jerk to a stop because the parking brake turns back on. Doesn't seem to matter if it's neutral, reverse, or drive. Sometimes it only happens once, sometimes I have to press it like 5 times.

This is more of an intermittent issue and doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough that I can say "there's something going on here." It's not a major issue since it's just annoying and possibly make you look dumb in parking lot, but with how many problems my car has had, I'm really wondering what the hell is going on here with so many random error and bugs, and wondering if it's something more major with electrical.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Owner
511 Posts
You are not letting the engine warm up enough. It will re-engage the parking brake when the engine is too cold. Not an issue, just a feature to prevent damage to the transmission/engine. The RPMs are slightly higher during initial startup. You typically need about a minute for the RPM's to drop to normal levels from the initial startup cycle which keeps the RPMs higher to warm the engine up. Just give it a couple minutes before taking off.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Odd. Why is it so inconsistent then? For example, when it happened yesterday, it was after I had already been driving the car a bit and had only sat about 30 minutes in between driving and it happening, so it should have been pretty warm still. Also, I started it up this morning and just backed it right out of the drive without waiting at all, and it was fine.

When this happens, I don't like turn it on and immediately leave. It happens very randomly. Fires right up and moves in the dead of Winter, yet happens in Summer or after driving.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I daily drove a 12c coupe for 2 years and cannot recall this ever happening to me.

My 675 is approaching 3k miles, and hasn't done this either.

·
Owner
931 Posts
It happened to me once in 18 months and 10K miles. The car was cold by FL standards but definitely not "cold". I fought the brake for about four times then simply shut the car down and restarted without further issue. It has not happened since.

Looking forward to hearing if there is a reason as I really do not believe in magic particles.

·
Owner
511 Posts
It's not necessarily a "temperature" cold thing, it's more of a cycle that needs completing. When you start the car, the computers are checking all kinds of things. If any one of the critical items hasn't passed its test or completed cycling, it's possible the car stops you from going until completed. The checks may take different amounts of time to complete each time the car is started. I've had fault codes appear two minutes after starting, and sometimes immediately. And most of my fault codes have occurred when I hopped in the car and just took off when already warmed up. The RPM thing is likely the culprit. It makes sense that you'd not want the car backing out while the engine is hovering at 1200 - 1500 RPM. On colder days, this takes longer. There could also be emissions tests that have not completed, ie a cold cat. Every time it has happened to me, I didn't wait long enough. When it does occur, I give it another minute and try again and I'm able to back out no problem. Ever since I made it a point to wait three minutes, even when warm, I have not had this issue. What I do know is, dealer says it's normal.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Happens to mine with no rhyme nor reason. When it does it (about once a month) I just keep my finger down on the button whilst reversing. It's the wonders of McLaren electronics.....

·
Registered
504 Posts
I guess it has to do with the starting procedure like described by Excelsior.

Or, which is always a check worth, the battery no longer provides enough voltage/power. Enough power to start the car but at the same time weak enough to influence the system logic negative. I have already experienced the most "wonderful things" with a weak battery. In such cases I replace immediately the battery preventive (happened two weeks ago with my Scud).

·
Owner
931 Posts
that does not need replacing like the normal lead acid battery you find in most cars.....

Figured I'd better add that before someone gets the idea they will be bucking up $3K every three years :)

·
Owner
511 Posts
I just tested the theory today. I started the car and tried to go into reverse within 15 seconds of starting up and it re-engaged the e-brake. My RPMs were a bit above 1200. I then held the lever down for about 3 seconds and it disengaged and allowed me to back out. This is a feature guys, not a problem. Holding it for 3+ seconds bypasses the safety but I wouldn't go until it feels it's ready.

·
Registered
323 Posts
see if this makes a difference for you, but I was having the same problem and I think it might be related to whether you have seat beat fastened or not. I know it works this way in my Porsche also. I find that if you have the belt on, the car will automatically disengage the e-brake as you hit the throttle. If not, it will stop you until it's been running about a minute.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
see if this makes a difference for you, but I was having the same problem and I think it might be related to whether you have seat beat fastened or not. I know it works this way in my Porsche also. I find that if you have the belt on, the car will automatically disengage the e-brake as you hit the throttle. If not, it will stop you until it's been running about a minute.

Yes. Tested this 3 minutes ago. THe seatbelt sensor doesn't let the brake disengage automatically until you either do it manually or put on your seatbelt.

I've never had the re-engagement issue. Cold hot whatever. .

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the re-engagement problem a couple of times as well. No rhyme or reason to it. I couldn't find any mention of this "feature" in the owner's manual, so I suspect it's some kind of bug. That's certainly the most likely explanation given the car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's funny you guys mention this. It happened to me for the first time a couple days ago. I started the car as I usually do, ease it out of the garage, but the parking brake engaged right after I released it. Happened 3 times. I shut off the car, open and closed the doors and front bonnet. Started the car again and it was fine. Not sure what it was. There was no warning light or anything on the displays. In this instance, the car should tell you why it's preventing you from moving. Bad logic design.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts