McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen similar? On both sides just below the exhaust, left side is more obvious (see picture).

I've already made my dealer aware, but I was just curious if others here have seen anything similar to this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm just curious as to why it's occurring on the bottom and not the top, hot gases usually rise don't they. It should be interesting to see what the outcome will be on this dilemma of yours, good luck and keep us posted. Cheers.....??

·
Owner
893 Posts
I'm just curious as to why it's occurring on the bottom and not the top, hot gases usually rise don't they. It should be interesting to see what the outcome will be on this dilemma of yours, good luck and keep us posted. Cheers.....??
Maybe .... slightly caustic condensation is dripping from the exhaust onto the paintwork ??? :confused:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, that's what the shields specifically prevent.
Not evident in the picture, but the same type of degradation can be seen on the shield as well. I can't wait to hear back from the dealer on what it is / what is causing it.

I'll be sure to report back once I know.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm going to agree with limeybloke assessment, I'm not sure what the resolution or more importantly the preventative would be for such a thing. Well maybe applying a good quality wax every so often could provide some prevention of sorts or installing a protective film on the area of concern. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Have this on my 16M a bit, a little bit of degradation on the carbon rear diffusor, below the exhaust tips.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Have this on my 16M a bit, a little bit of degradation on the carbon rear diffusor, below the exhaust tips.
So Mark, knowing the way you are I'm sure you won't have allowed this to persist. My question to you is what did you do to overcome/resolve this issue/problem. You know it's nice to hear about this stuff, well not really what's even better is to hear about the solution. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, the dealer was also at a loss to what it may have been caused by, though they agree with the possibility of it being some caustic condensation from the exhaust system.

They took the bumper off and sent it over to the detail shop and they were able to buff it out of the clear coat so at least it was caught before it caused any lasting damage.

As you'll see from the picture, I had them make some other modifications while the bumper and rear grille were off :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So Mark, knowing the way you are I'm sure you won't have allowed this to persist. My question to you is what did you do to overcome/resolve this issue/problem. You know it's nice to hear about this stuff, well not really what's even better is to hear about the solution. Cheers.....����
I just buff it out. Easy peezy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts