McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else annoyed by the click from the paddles when you shift gears? Drives me nuts, no other car has it and there is a reason why. Is there a way to get rid of the click?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes, at 1400 mi, count me in. Play the radio or try to focus on the exhaust? It's not a mechanical clunk of something happening, or even an electronic acknowledgement. Sounds like someone crinkling plastic. If any sound is made, it should be at the precog input, which takes a gentle touch on the 2013. Why would it be at the shift point, for f's sake? Did this exist on the 2012s? Didn't hear it on the one I drove.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Yes, at 1400 mi, count me in. Play the radio or try to focus on the exhaust? It's not a mechanical clunk of something happening, or even an electronic acknowledgement. Sounds like someone crinkling plastic. If any sound is made, it should be at the precog input, which takes a gentle touch on the 2013. Why would it be at the shift point, for f's sake? Did this exist on the 2012s? Didn't hear it on the one I drove.
Been there all the time,i actually thought they had toned it done on the later cars!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It would make total sense for precog!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ha! Just goes to show how subjective it all is. I hated the exhaust note at first (although that car was 2012, pre hp update, non sport). Now I think my car sounds surreal, spaceship bestial, violent joy and don't miss the 458.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Anyone else annoyed by the click from the paddles when you shift gears? Drives me nuts, no other car has it and there is a reason why. Is there a way to get rid of the click?
Doubleclutch I think you should sell the car if its really driving you nuts, this is only a suggestion. As for the clicking sound it's probably not resolvable due to the little red thingy in the attached picture. Well good luck Doubleclutch with trying to maintain a normal level of sanity with clicking issue. Cheers....??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369594162.648107.jpg

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oh come gents it's not an irrelevancy. Neither is the whistling weather stripping next to my head today. Loving life anyway :)

Lately I'm hearing the click less and less. Perception and expectation are dynamic things.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That lotus steering wheel looks bad ass! Anyone with the knowledge care to diagram it? To tell us what all that stuff is?

·
Registered
491 Posts
That lotus steering wheel looks bad ass! Anyone with the knowledge care to diagram it? To tell us what all that stuff is?
Here is the backside. There are 6 paddles that clicks. The top two is for DRS activation and cancellation and the bottom two is for clutch and KERS.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey Unotaz, give us some info on driving the Lotus, to the extent it doesn't compromise anyone's privacy. How did your drive come about and how was it other than scarey (as you commented)?
Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only real explanation is that the f1 paddle makes a click so they crossed it over to the road car. No other paddle shift car has a click like that. Since they abandoned the precog on vin # 1000+ it seams pointless. This isn't a big deal but all these small mistakes add up and that is why the resale values are so bad after 12 months. Still love my car but sometimes I wish mclaren didn't think so much f1 and more like a road car company, in time they will adopt better.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If F1 paddles click, the driver can't hear them.

Being buggy and poorly engineered never hurt Ferrari resale values much. McLaren is aiming at a higher standard. Sink or swim, it's a great concept.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The only real explanation is that the f1 paddle makes a click so they crossed it over to the road car. No other paddle shift car has a click like that. Since they abandoned the precog on vin # 1000+ it seams pointless. This isn't a big deal but all these small mistakes add up and that is why the resale values are so bad after 12 months. Still love my car but sometimes I wish mclaren didn't think so much f1 and more like a road car company, in time they will adopt better.
I think that's why 95% of us bought into it ,why would I want a car from just another conforming car company ??????????? if they adopt those ideas then i:m out of here,i like unique,and I like my klick,i feel ive been part of the process rather than just pressing a button with no feel at all .

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Give me pre-cog click click. Love it.

Pre-cog was a great idea spoilt by journalists who did not give it time to realise how much fun it is.

Daft thing is you could ignore it and the box still worked well.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Actually, from all the responses loving the click, maybe the click is the only thing keeping the resale falling completely to zero. :p

+1 for the click. I like.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts