1 - 20 of 2771 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,063 Posts
Please don't encourage them to think outside the box Drifter - I am not sure our eyes can tolerate another one of these.

>8^)
ER

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize Autocar has an, ummmm, shall we call it "less than stellar" record of getting rumors and designs right for what McLaren will do. But hey, it'll give us something to talk about in another few years when we, once again, see how far off they were. :D

-Jamie.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes that is true NH4 haha, from the GT spirit article: http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/01/25/mclaren-p15-supercar-confirmed-to-sit-between-12c-and-p1/

I am unsure of what to think of its positioning, as the the 12C is already so capable, perhaps its to set a new benchmark in the Aventador type sector, as P1 is ultra exclusive, the Aventador isn't, so I think there is a market there for mass production. hmmm
So long as McLaren can keep the transmission from going up in smoke, it ought to at least have one valid selling point over the Aventador :D

It's been posted here before, and I'm going from memory so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe P14 is supposed to be the next gen 12c. We can likely assume it will cost a bit more than the existing one, but certainly leaves space before getting into Aventador territory. For that money, and looking out to that time, I'd wager P15 would be some sort of performance hybrid like the P1.

To be honest I'm still holding out hope that P13 comes with some sort of performance enhancing, and maybe mildly MPG enhancing battery bits, but I guess we'll see (hopefully soon) how that pans out. If it doesn't I would certainly expect that tech to work its way down to P14, and then P15 becomes a juicier version... As always, it's all speculation, but it keeps things interesting!

-Jamie.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
An aventador rival could be very interesting tbh, even though the P1 is McLarens current Halo car, a mass produced big HP variant that slots above the 12c would be very cool, apart from the aventador I'm not sure what other cars it would rival though? I'm not sure if the Berlinetta would be one of those?

As with P13, only time will tell, and we are told is due soon, so at the moment everything is still all speculation, we can dream :) I've read somewhere on here that P14 is the replacement of the 12C, but it also leaves a question, how much extra power will it have? as they get more powerful, would a P15 variant be knocking close to P1 in terms of power?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Mysterious McLaren: 2017 P15 Flagship May Get Honda Hybrid Technology

McLaren has admitted it is working on a new flagship model that will take the place of the sold-out P1 at the top of its range. Known internally as the P15, it won’t be as costly as the $1.15 million P1—perhaps $500,000—and will be a full production model rather than a limited edition.
Due to launch in 2017, details and specifications of the P15 are not yet finalized. Mike Flewitt, CEO of McLaren Automotive, has confirmed that all the cars in its future product plan are mid-engine two-seaters with carbon-fiber structure. For the P15, some kind of hybridization seems likely, although the power output is unlikely to match the 903 horsepower of the P1.

An intriguing possibility is the involvement of Honda, which will power McLaren’s Formula 1 cars starting in 2015. When the F1 road car was being developed in the 1990s, Honda declined to join the program because a large-displacement V-12 engine was required. But times have changed and engine downsizing is rampant. It now makes sense for McLaren to leverage Honda’s extensive hybrid technology experience as it moves forward with the P15.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mysterious-mclaren-2017-p15-flagship-may-get-honda-hybrid-technology/

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cool! I just saw this on carbuzz and for some reason missed it here on the forums.

http://carbuzz.com/news/2014/5/20/McLaren-is-Planning-Yet-Another-New-Supercar-7720433/

I have to wonder what a 750k car will do to the values of the P1. At 750k I'm thinking the performance of this P15 will be spectacular and just a few small clicks slower than the P1 (only enough where the right driver in either car could win on any track against the other).

I'm very much looking forward to the P15 as it has a sweeter spot in the price tag and should run circles around everything except for the P1, 918 and LF while being really close to those in everything but price. Loving Mclaren more and more

·
MmmmcLaren
1,374 Posts
I'm curious about the intended P15 volume, presumably 500 units-per-year?

4,500 | McLaren produced vehicles-per-year
1,500 | P11 [12C/650S]
2,500 | P13 [911 "killer"]
0,500 | P15 [Aventador competition / new market segment?]

·
Registered
4,215 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
"""According to a new report, McLaren will launch a new model that’ll slot in above the 650S and below the P1"""""

Per article, perhaps they will just announce an updated 650S as a new model and state it will exist above the 650S (that still continues in production) for 20k more with a few more options as standard.......;)
and they will call it 675s ...

·
Administrator
2,479 Posts
Mysterious McLaren: 2017 P15 Flagship May Get Honda Hybrid Technology

McLaren has admitted it is working on a new flagship model that will take the place of the sold-out P1 at the top of its range. Known internally as the P15, it won’t be as costly as the $1.15 million P1—perhaps $500,000—and will be a full production model rather than a limited edition.
Due to launch in 2017, details and specifications of the P15 are not yet finalized. Mike Flewitt, CEO of McLaren Automotive, has confirmed that all the cars in its future product plan are mid-engine two-seaters with carbon-fiber structure. For the P15, some kind of hybridization seems likely, although the power output is unlikely to match the 903 horsepower of the P1.

An intriguing possibility is the involvement of Honda, which will power McLaren’s Formula 1 cars starting in 2015. When the F1 road car was being developed in the 1990s, Honda declined to join the program because a large-displacement V-12 engine was required. But times have changed and engine downsizing is rampant. It now makes sense for McLaren to leverage Honda’s extensive hybrid technology experience as it moves forward with the P15.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mysterious-mclaren-2017-p15-flagship-may-get-honda-hybrid-technology/
Anything further on this?

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Anything further on this?
Not even people from the company know much about the car yet... I heard something, but I doubt it will ever happen. It is understood that it will slot in between the P1 and P14, but other than that, it's still almost a "secret" and in its early form of development. If I understand correctly, this will be the first McLaren to have a completely new carbon cell.

This article is almost a year old, so it was based on pure speculation.

1 - 20 of 2771 Posts
About this Discussion
2.8K Replies
163 Participants
francis_p
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing