McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think the P13 could contain similar hybrid tech to the P1? I mean, they've obviously poured a ton of money into the R&D, why not use it? It seems to be a great system, and it's not the exclusive territory of hypercars, let's not forget the humble Prius!

I've just read an autocar article this morning which basically specs it as a 444hp, £120k vehicle. Now either it's going to be very light, or - hear me out - it has another 100+ hp of electric power that hasn't been mentioned yet? I mean, mclaren have stated that they want to become market leaders in each segment they take on. Why would they release a £120k vehicle with 444hp when Audi already have a 550hp equivalent on the market already at that price point? Not to mention the 600+hp 12c second hand market that this price collides with (although of course that isn't directly competition). I know there is far more to these cars than simple engine figures - but they must still be relevant!

Opinions?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
We had a bit of a back-and-forth on that on the main P13 thread. It starts at the link below and goes on for a page or two... I personally would love it. I think it would further differentiate the P13 from the 911 and it would put the P13 on the leading edge of what high end sports cars are likely to all be in the next 5-10 years... The upcoming NSX shows that it is possible in the going-after-the-911 price point.

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-projects-p13/2930-latest-p13-19.html

-Jamie.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope I'm not re-treading topics that have already been covered, it just came to me this morning and I thought I'd vent the idea over here!

I also think the regulations around emissions could make this far more likely - after all, Mclaren don't have other brands to offset their averages against - they exclusively make the type of car that is often at odds with what regulations require.

I love the idea, and can see the future of this technology causing a paradigm shift in how fast vehicles are built.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I hope I'm not re-treading topics that have already been covered, it just came to me this morning and I thought I'd vent the idea over here!

I also think the regulations around emissions could make this far more likely - after all, Mclaren don't have other brands to offset their averages against - they exclusively make the type of car that is often at odds with what regulations require.

I love the idea, and can see the future of this technology causing a paradigm shift in how fast vehicles are built.
No worries about re-treading topics. The more people talking about it the better... Granted we're all speculating, but it's fun :D I didn't post the link to discourage more talk on the hybrid option, but just to point you to what's already been posted. Sorry if it didn't come across that way!

-Jamie.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Very possible. As mentioned NSX is already on that route and the next generation GT-R aka R36 is supposed to be a hybrid too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts